Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tomorrowland re-do?

Wait, was Tomorrowland supposed to be Steampunk? I never got that vibe

There's a very good reason why you never got the vibe of Steampunk, @shiekra38 . It's because the aesthetic of '94's Tomorrowland was "Raygun Gothic". (Catchall term for a visual style that combines Googie (Hello, Space Mountain!), Streamline Moderne and Art Deco for use in retro futuristic sci-fi environs. A great example is Buck Rodgers and Flash Gordon which were certainly inspirations for the land.)

Plain and simple, TL's style was not Steampunk, and I have no idea why people are saying that.

As for the new sign, I'll admit the minimalistic/modern look doesn't really do it for me as that look can easily come off as sterile and bland. Though I'm curious to see if they'll actually convert the entire land in that look unlike the past attempt which stopped halfway through.

There's a very good reason why you never got the vibe of Steampunk, @shiekra38 . It's because the aesthetic of '94's Tomorrowland was "Raygun Gothic". (Catchall term for a visual style that combines Googie (Hello, Space Mountain!), Streamline Moderne and Art Deco for use in retro futuristic sci-fi environs. A great example is Buck Rodgers and Flash Gordon which were certainly inspirations for the land.)

Plain and simple, TL's style was not Steampunk, and I have no idea why people are saying that.

As for the new sign, I'll admit the minimalistic/modern look doesn't really do it for me as that look can easily come off as sterile and bland. Though I'm curious to see if they'll actually convert the entire land in that look unlike the past attempt which stopped halfway through.
I would love if they committed to the 50's sci-fi look...At the moment it comes off as hodgepodge and lacking direction.

The installation of the new sign further confuses what exactly Tomorrowland is supposed to be...Which I feel is a question that Disney doesn't even know the answer to.

I would love if they committed to the 50's sci-fi look...At the moment it comes off as hodgepodge
YEES! With Tron and Space Mountain as the weenies for this land, I hope they keep going with the refresh. Curious to see how they will redo all the supports they have stripped down around peoplemover

YEES! With Tron and Space Mountain as the weenies for this land, I hope they keep going with the refresh. Curious to see how they will redo all the supports they have stripped down around peoplemover
All the white reminds me of 2001 a Space Odyssey...I'm not sure that's the whimsical route Disney wants to go, as that film is not exactly whimsical haha

All the white reminds me of 2001 a Space Odyssey...I'm not sure that's the whimsical route Disney wants to go, as that film is not exactly whimsical haha
I took my then wife to the theater to see it when it first played. She was 20 years old....and fell asleep after about 30 minutes of the really slow moving movie. :lol:

Can I be totally honest? I loathe Tomorrowland in Shanghai...Funny he mentions a shopping mall, because it literally looks like every upscale revamp of a city park I've ever seen.

To me, Tomorrowland should be a colorful and cartoony take on the future. Alien Swirling Saucers or Buzz Lightyear is a great example of where I feel they should go with the land. It's almost as if they are afraid of going too whimsical in MK....That's a huge miss IMO

The blandness continues...

Though, really, I'm much less concerned about the aesthetics than in the homogenization/nondescript-ness of the merchandise offerings. Isn't this supposed to be a sci-fi store?
I find it really odd that the big Dis fans like these Tomorrowland change...Personally, I'm not feeling it

I get that there may be an appeal in this sort of "sleek" and "retro" design approach. I think there's a fine line to walk between that and stripping something of its personality. I don't think, as it relates to Tomorrowland, that Disney is walking that line all that effectively.

I'm reserving final judgment until TRON opens and we (hopefully) get a clearer picture of what the unifying aesthetic of Tomorrowland is supposed to be at that point.

And also, if that shop was actually filled with interesting, land/attraction-appropriate merchandise, that would mitigate some of the "meh" quality, too.

I find it really odd that the big Dis fans like these Tomorrowland change...Personally, I'm not feeling it

I get that there may be an appeal in this sort of "sleek" and "retro" design approach. I think there's a fine line to walk between that and stripping something of its personality. I don't think, as it relates to Tomorrowland, that Disney is walking that line all that effectively.

I'm reserving final judgment until TRON opens and we (hopefully) get a clearer picture of what the unifying aesthetic of Tomorrowland is supposed to be at that point.

And also, if that shop was actually filled with interesting, land/attraction-appropriate merchandise, that would mitigate some of the "meh" quality, too.

Going through this piecemeal isn't doing them any favors either. I don't see a vision or end goal here especially with things like the Astro Orbiter, Power House, and other large objects. I'll have to give them the benefit of the doubt here though till the 50th.