Travelling alone | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Travelling alone

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I assume it is us Americans who keep saying 'change it to a week' and I imagine those coming from over seas understand that the trip over and back is more tolerable if you stay over here for two weeks.

I will echo that once you stay on site, it becomes difficult to visit UOR any other way!

I love each resort for different reasons. Cabana has that great lazy river and a lot of times I prefer the food court type set up as opposed to a restaurant.

I certainly enjoyed my stays at Sapphire, but I can spend too much money at that rum bar!

Both should have very easy access to Volcano Bay, Sapphire offers water taxis as a transport option yet I am certain folks from Cabana just walk over to Sapphire and catch the boat from there.

I wouldn't fret being solo at the resort and I think it could make it more enjoyable as you only have yourself to please, hit the parks for a while, then had back to the hotel to chill at the pool for the afternoon.

Onsite guest are allowed the use of any of the pools, personally I like Cabana's pools more than Sapphire's...but being solo, you could certainly decide to check out the Hard Rock's pool.

I've never done the clubs at City Walk, but I bet I could have fun solo just checking them out, so two weeks really gives you a lot of time to just take it slow and take it all in...things like bowling at Cabana, the mini golf at City Walk, there really are a lot of options on site beyond just the parks!

I assume it is us Americans who keep saying 'change it to a week' and I imagine those coming from over seas understand that the trip over and back is more tolerable if you stay over here for two weeks.

I will echo that once you stay on site, it becomes difficult to visit UOR any other way!

I love each resort for different reasons. Cabana has that great lazy river and a lot of times I prefer the food court type set up as opposed to a restaurant.

I certainly enjoyed my stays at Sapphire, but I can spend too much money at that rum bar!

Both should have very easy access to Volcano Bay, Sapphire offers water taxis as a transport option yet I am certain folks from Cabana just walk over to Sapphire and catch the boat from there.

I wouldn't fret being solo at the resort and I think it could make it more enjoyable as you only have yourself to please, hit the parks for a while, then had back to the hotel to chill at the pool for the afternoon.

Onsite guest are allowed the use of any of the pools, personally I like Cabana's pools more than Sapphire's...but being solo, you could certainly decide to check out the Hard Rock's pool.

I've never done the clubs at City Walk, but I bet I could have fun solo just checking them out, so two weeks really gives you a lot of time to just take it slow and take it all in...things like bowling at Cabana, the mini golf at City Walk, there really are a lot of options on site beyond just the parks!

Thanks @Frank Drackman. It's great to hear anecdotes from people on here as I know we all have that one thing in common. Yes, due to the distance involved I think it's going to be 2 weeks or nothing really. Plus with all the good ideas everyone has mentioned I don't think I'll have an issue filling the time!

The ability to use the other pools on resort wasn't something I'd considered actually and as I'm a keen walker I'd really like to get out and have a bit of an explore away from the parks so this definitely gives me the opportunity to do that.

I'd still go, but at a different time. You're not going to want to be remembering the canceled wedding on your trip.
This is the difficult part, I totally agree with you and it will be hard but on the flip side, if I decide not to go I'll still be remembering the cancelled wedding when it comes to that time so at least I'll be able to keep myself occupied. There is also the costs involved to change the dates and I'd effectively be throwing away $500 to do this and whilst thats not huge it would probably mean deter me from booking a different trip

Reactions: Joel and JoeCamel
I'd still go, I don't travel on my own, but do spend time on my own while out there. Taking photos, chilling at the pool etc as well as the parks themselves.

The flight would be bliss too, 9 hours of watching movies, drinking and sleeping - with not one person bugging you!

Be careful, downgrading and taking the other person off the booking - You might find they want another £300 just to make the changes.

I'm out there for 8 nights in October if you fancy a beer!

I'd still go, I don't travel on my own, but do spend time on my own while out there. Taking photos, chilling at the pool etc as well as the parks themselves.

The flight would be bliss too, 9 hours of watching movies, drinking and sleeping - with not one person bugging you!

Be careful, downgrading and taking the other person off the booking - You might find they want another £300 just to make the changes.

I'm out there for 8 nights in October if you fancy a beer!

Grabbing a beer sounds great, first one's on me :cheers: Will you be going to HHN? As I'm used to travelling with someone who hates flying, it will certainly make the journey a LOT easier.

For you guys that do stay on site, do you hire a car and swallow the hotel charges or just get Uber as & when? As I'm more than likely not going to do Dis this time I've probably answered my own question but curious to know what others do.

Fortunately, the company I've booked through (Dial-A-Flight in case any UK folks are wondering, they are very reasonable) have been pretty good and there are no amendment charges as it's deposit only at this point, had the balance been paid then it would have been a lot more tricky. I'm thinking Cabana Bay is going to be the way forward as it's around $500 cheaper for the duration and with the difference being marginal at best I can put that money to better use elsewhere.

Reactions: Joel and Jon84
Grabbing a beer sounds great, first one's on me :cheers: Will you be going to HHN? As I'm used to travelling with someone who hates flying, it will certainly make the journey a LOT easier.

For you guys that do stay on site, do you hire a car and swallow the hotel charges or just get Uber as & when? As I'm more than likely not going to do Dis this time I've probably answered my own question but curious to know what others do.

Fortunately, the company I've booked through (Dial-A-Flight in case any UK folks are wondering, they are very reasonable) have been pretty good and there are no amendment charges as it's deposit only at this point, had the balance been paid then it would have been a lot more tricky. I'm thinking Cabana Bay is going to be the way forward as it's around $500 cheaper for the duration and with the difference being marginal at best I can put that money to better use elsewhere.

If you are not running to WDW then I would just get a car service such as Tony Hinds from the airport and forgo the $12 per day parking at CBBR or $22 at SF. That adds up so you will have more for beer and the occasional UBER to any offsite you want to go to. Does not make sense to have a car parked all the time if you won't be using it. A trip to KSC can be done without a car if that falls in your plans

Like Joe Camel said. We drive to Orlando, but once we park at Universal we rarely leave. It's just so comfortable staying on site that there's really not much reason to get in your car & drive anywhere, unless you're going to hop to Disney for a day trip. Staying on site is so easy & leisurely, everything you need is in walking or water taxi (free) distance, it makes one lazy. :)

Reactions: AzaJ12345
Defo agree with 2 weeks (as a minimum) if going from the UK

Seeing as the flights and tickets are the biggest expenses it doesn't cost a bunch more to stay longer than a week. Tickets are mostly 14 day passes and flights could even cost more for 7 days as it isn't the norm plus it's a heck of a way for a short trip, take away two days for travelling and your only really getting 5 days that you can do much with.

I've done 2,3 and 4 week trips in the past and always want more and get the blues every time it;s time to go home, I love Florida that much LOL.

@ConvolutedFrippery loving the dancing dino
761162hs2vjhp1t5.gif
:thumbsup:

much better than that
download_image

sorry @Mike S :tongue: ;)

10 days is the minimum I have done from the UK but 2 weeks or more if you can afford it is better due to flight costs etc.

I've done 7 nights from the UK twice now. Granted it doesn't have the slower pace, but you can still get a hell of alot done. I guess it depends on the pace you want.

Our next trip is 1 week in DLR then 2 weeks in Orlando. Should be much more relaxing (except that it's mid June to Early July!!)

Reactions: LieutLaww
I drive on my trips (as it is cheaper to drive the family of three than it is to fly).

The drive is under four hours, so it isn't bad at all and even possible to do a trip w/o staying overnight...but we tend to run up for a long weekend or so. Once I get on-site, I seldom leave.

I agree with others that it would be silly to have a car as it will add to the nightly parking (which tends to go up about $2 every year just before HHN).

We use to do the same type trips to Disney (and we have done a full week at both UNI and Disney before), anyway, I can't explain it, but I always seemed to feel like I needed a vacation after a long Disney trip, but I always feel like I had a relaxing vacation when I visit UOR.

You mentioned that you like walking. Personally, I think they did a great job on the walking paths between the hotels and City Walk and I tend to enjoy walking more than taking the bus or the water taxi (but my family tends to force me the ride with them instead of walking (as they do not share my appreciation of the walking paths)....dang, I should try solo some time!

Frank Drackman: "but I always seemed to feel like I needed a vacation after a long Disney trip, but I always feel like I had a relaxing vacation when I visit UOR"....Yep. I've said the same & completely agree with you. Staying on site at Universal is a whole different vacation experience. A vacation like it's meant to be. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Frank Drackman
Frank Drackman: "but I always seemed to feel like I needed a vacation after a long Disney trip, but I always feel like I had a relaxing vacation when I visit UOR"....Yep. I've said the same & completely agree with you. Staying on site at Universal is a whole different vacation experience. A vacation like it's meant to be. :thumbsup:
I've never had a problem relaxing on a WDW trip, always take time to chill out at the pool, or head offsite etc :)

I've never had a problem relaxing on a WDW trip, always take time to chill out at the pool, or head offsite etc :)
I do that too. It's the fact I have to pre plan what park & what times I'm going to be in any day. So I can't wing it when my mood tells me I want to do something different than the pre plan. And if you skip the pre plan, you're penalized big time when it comes to riding attractions and eating out. Lack of spontaniety takes away from my ability to relax and enjoy the moment.

Reactions: JoeCamel
I do that too. It's the fact I have to pre plan what park & what times I'm going to be in any day. So I can't wing it when my mood tells me I want to do something different than the pre plan. And if you skip the pre plan, you're penalized big time when it comes to riding attractions and eating out. Lack of spontaniety takes away from my ability to relax and enjoy the moment.
In Dec we booked about 3 restaurants and a handful of FP, and did everything else adhoc for 2 weeks. It's a myth that it's not possible to relax and do it adhoc.

When I went in 2015 I had 1 restaurant booked that I wanted to do and a handful of FP's everything else I did as and when I felt like it and had no real problems doing it.

Reactions: Jon84