Universal Elite Rides | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Elite Rides

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sep 10, 2013
So, I'm sure some of us who go on Magic know about the Universal rumor thread. i read something on here which caught my eye.

Post from "DisneyConstruction23"

"IDK if this has been said or not but the next 5 years Universal will be building an elite ride (as they call it). 1 Ride to open each year...this may be old news but we are bidding on one of the jobs and learned of the upcoming bids for the next few years"

He continues to write;

"O ok well like I said we just started bidding for it etc. and Universal as well as Disney try to hide the names of the projects from the public...Heck the new hotel we are working on for Universal was known as "Project X" when we bid because they did not want any news leaked until they were ready."

it seems that this user is with a construction company who works with Disney/universal.

So my question is, is it true that Universal is supposed to be building an elite ride each year for the next 5 years? This includes Gringotts

If this is true, then maybe this will be the time frame we are really looking at

2014 - Diagon Alley & Gringotts
2015 - JP expansion & Kong
2016 - Kidzone & ??
2017 - TL & ??
2018 - LC or MIB/mystery plot and ???

What do you all think about this?

I think HTF or Disneyhead already confirmed this, there will be an e-ticket ride for each year. I.e. Last year was transformers, gringrotts, king kong, etc.

Too early to guess what they will be past kong though.

I think HTF or Disneyhead already confirmed this, there will be an e-ticket ride for each year. I.e. Last year was transformers, gringrotts, king kong, etc.

Too early to guess what they will be past kong though.

What does make sense is that Kong was for 2016, not 2015. So, could it be that we have the year wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

And Kong won't open next year.

2015- JP

2016- Kong

2017- ???

2018- ???

But I thought JP was a D-ticket

The ticketing systems is basically semantics at this point. The main point is they'll be doing a big project every year for the foreseeable future.

So they arent considering the ride to be big, but the whole JP expansion is. Meh... with all due respect, I hope youre wrong :p

I don't see the JP stuff being a big deal from what we're being told. Honestly, all they need is the family coaster, JPRA refurb and some dinos across the island. But it sounds like we're just getting some kiddy stuff.

I don't see the JP stuff being a big deal from what we're being told. Honestly, all they need is the family coaster, JPRA refurb and some dinos across the island. But it sounds like we're just getting some kiddy stuff.

We will have to wait and see. must be hopeful that we do get an amber mine coaster.

Would actually be great for Universal PR

"Disney SDMT still under construction.... Universal opens Similar Mine Train"

- May 2015

So they arent considering the ride to be big, but the whole JP expansion is. Meh... with all due respect, I hope youre wrong :p

HTF himself has said Kong will open in 2016.

We're getting a family coaster. That has ALWAYS been in the plan.

HTF himself has said Kong will open in 2016.

We're getting a family coaster. That has ALWAYS been in the plan.

Yeah, but a family coaster and some more kiddy stuff doesn't really pop out as a major addition. A necessary one since IoA needs it, but it doesn't really go with the whole big new ride/attraction every year for the next 5 years thing. At least IMO, but I'm hoping there is more to this JP expansion.

Yeah, but a family coaster and some more kiddy stuff doesn't really pop out as a major addition. A necessary one since IoA needs it, but it doesn't really go with the whole big new ride/attraction every year for the next 5 years thing. At least IMO, but I'm hoping there is more to this JP expansion.

A custom designed, themed wooden roller coaster is a pretty big deal, like it or not. The fact that we'll get things to go with it is icing on the cake.

Sorry Jungleskip your correct JP expansion next year, I expect the JP expansion to be a lot bigger then we all expect with Jurassic World coming out.

A custom designed, themed wooden roller coaster is a pretty big deal, like it or not. The fact that we'll get things to go with it is icing on the cake.

I trust you and HTF, know you both have the credentials and the sources, but a wooden coaster is great, just not on par to the new standard Universal is creating. and even with everything else they plan to do at JP, from what I have heard I dont believe it comes close to anything they have done.

I trust you and HTF, know you both have the credentials and the sources, but a wooden coaster is great, just not on par to the new standard Universal is creating. and even with everything else they plan to do at JP, from what I have heard I dont believe it comes close to anything they have done.

How is a roller coaster not good enough? Most parks would kill for a new roller coaster for their 2015 season.

How is a roller coaster not good enough? Most parks would kill for a new roller coaster for their 2015 season.

I think it would depend on the coaster. If you plopped something like this down, I would consider that not good enough for a world class theme park:

P1250174.jpg

Not what I'm saying AT ALL, just not comparable to Gingotts, transformers, Kong. What I understand is that Universal is trying to up their game, they spoke about great rides each year. One person on magic went so far as to call them "elite" rides. If this is true, I would expect something better than just a wooden coaster. I would say, if this were true, we could expect more at Uni in 2015, and the wooden coaster may possibly be the amber mine. But dont twist up my words, a roller coaster is great, not at the same level/standard Universal has been going for, tho.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it would depend on the coaster. If you plopped something like this down, I would consider that not good enough for a world class theme park:

P1250174.jpg

Thank you. I do not expect this, but at the same time I don't expect far from this.

Not what I'm saying AT ALL, just not comparable to Gingotts, transformers, Kong. What I understand is that Universal is trying to up their game, they spoke about great rides each year. One person on magic went so far as to call them "elite" rides. If this is true, I would expect something better than just a wooden coaster. I would say, if this were true, we could expect more at Uni in 2015, and the wooden coaster may possibly be the amber mine. But dont twist up my words, a roller coaster is great, not at the same level/standard Universal has been going for, tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. I do not expect this, but at the same time I don't expect far from this.

It hasn't even started construction yet.....

A lot of people thought Transformers was a lame rip-off of Spider-Man before they rode that, too. Personally, a brand new ride with an original layout and no use of screens is pretty exciting. Not to mention it's a good way to expand IOA's current age-base, and will be one of the biggest additions in the resort's history for the 40" or under crowd.

It hasn't even started construction yet.....

A lot of people thought Transformers was a lame rip-off of Spider-Man before they rode that, too. Personally, a brand new ride with an original layout and no use of screens is pretty exciting. Not to mention it's a good way to expand IOA's current age-base, and will be one of the biggest additions in the resort's history for the 40" or under crowd.

Thats fair, you're right we havent seen artwork or anything confirmed yet. And yeah it is great to have something without the use of screens. Will be exciting to see what it is

Not what I'm saying AT ALL, just not comparable to Gingotts, transformers, Kong.

Not every project, no matter how elite, is going to be these rides. It's just not going to happen.

"Elite" rides is more than likely marketing speak from Universal. Yes, they're trying to up their game. They're doing so. But even they know not everything can be a huge, 100million+ E-ticket. Expecting as much is setting yourself up for disappointment.

The fact that we're getting ANYTHING every year is amazing.

I also don't see the need to compare the rides like that. I expect Universal is aiming to make each project top notch, where each ride is the elite of what it is. But they are always going to pitch the high points, and buzzwords draw attention.