Universal Great Britain | Page 104 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If you took many of the elements of the Hagrid's ride and made it a Moria ride with the theming and scale of Moria it would be something spectacular. Doing a droptrack within a Moria setting and with a good animatronic would be so so good.
I think taking the Gringott's ride as a starting point would be closer to my dream attraction, but with less use of projected scenes and more use of large-scale physical sets and animatronics. And twice as long.

Does anyone know who actually designs the rides?

Is it Universal themselves or do they outsource it to 3rd party partners and then “manage” the ride projects?

Or a combination of both?

I don’t me the initial design concepts, I mean more who does the nuts and bolts of that makes sense,

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know who actually designs the rides?

Is it Universal themselves or do they outsource it to 3rd party partners and then “manage” the ride projects?

Or a combination of both?

I don’t me the initial design concepts, I mean more who does the nuts and bolts of that makes sense,

Thanks in advance.
Universal have their own department for this called Universal Creative.

Universal have their own department for this called Universal Creative.

Cheers Steeb,

I’ve read about Universal Creative, I’m just thinking with things like rollercoasters how they manage it all from start to finish.

Just wondered if anyone on here had any experience in theme park ride creation to delivery. It’s a big ask, I’m just fascinated.

:)

Reactions: Steeb
I’ve read about Universal Creative, I’m just thinking with things like rollercoasters how they manage it all from start to finish.
Yeah, for things like this they're (generally) working with an outside partner. The same goes for the fabrication of some items (you'll see Garner Holt do some work in the United States) and, of course, construction.

Saw that the other day, most of his 'not' options would merely delay the project and not stop it altogether. But a good video nonetheless. Until we get a yay or nay decision and everything that comes with it, we'll just have speculation videos and the odd drone video of the land - nothing really new. Well unless a bunch of homes suddenly get sold on Manor Road or something.

What happens if they don't make any kind of announcement? Say it gets to September and we still haven't heard?

What happens if they don't make any kind of announcement? Say it gets to September and we still haven't heard?

We believe the June rumour to be pretty reliable.

But I do think people are getting carried away with a big announcement expectation, the local Council and Parrish will likely be told perhaps some letters will be sent.

I really wouldn’t be expecting anything big and bold from Universal until that SDO is in.

I see it currently playing out like this;

June: confirmation from one of the above sources, plus an updated master plan.

Late 24/ Early 25: SDO

Mid to late 2025: Ground breaking ceremony and actual ‘announcement’.

And then minimal news/ radio silence for multiple years, this is still Universal after all.

Reactions: Jake S and Steeb
We believe the June rumour to be pretty reliable.

But I do think people are getting carried away with a big announcement expectation, the local Council and Parrish will likely be told perhaps some letters will be sent.

I really wouldn’t be expecting anything big and bold from Universal until that SDO is in.

I see it currently playing out like this;

June: confirmation from one of the above sources, plus an updated master plan.

Late 24/ Early 25: SDO

Mid to late 2025: Ground breaking ceremony and actual ‘announcement’.

And then minimal news/ radio silence for multiple years, this is still Universal after all.
That sounds reasonable. I think you would need to add to that timetable a public consultation run by the government on Universal’s planning application and environmental impact report, which I’d guess would take place this autumn.

Reactions: Jake S and BBPH
That sounds reasonable. I think you would need to add to that timetable a public consultation run by the government on Universal’s planning application and environmental impact report, which I’d guess would take place this autumn.
Absolutely, I wasn’t really detailing the whole list of steps just looking at it from the perspective of announcements.

We’re going to have some seriously quiet moments on this thread.

Cheers Steeb,

Just wondered if anyone on here had any experience in theme park ride creation to delivery. It’s a big ask, I’m just fascinated.

:)
While I don't know about Universal specifically, but with coasters and a lot of parks they'll contract the manufacturer(B&M, Intamin, etc), and they'll come to an agreement on parameters(how much space, topography, ballpark stats, unique features, how much they want to spend). The manufacturer then designs the ride itself to fit the specs and does all of the engineering. Once the final design is approved, the manufacturer contracts out the construction of the components. Actual assembly is done by another third party.

As for Universal, I'd think they have a little more involvement, but, ultimately, the design is up to the manufacturer for liability reasons if nothing else.

Reactions: yepthatguy
Don't know how long they have been thinking about it, but the Premier Inn, just down the road in Kempston, has put in planning permission to expand, citing that they have identified a considerable demand for additional budget accommodation in this area.....

Reactions: xtpower and rob@rar
Managed to find a paywall workaround (not posting the link) so will quote anything I think is interesting.

The US media group’s first foray into Europe could generate close to £50bn of economic value to the UK in its construction and operation over the first 20 years, according to Page Thompson, head of the new ventures arm of Universal Destinations & Experiences.

Talking for the first time in detail about the plans, Thompson said the company had long viewed Europe as an opportunity to build “one of the greatest theme parks in the world”, adding: “After searching for many years, we think we have found the right site in Bedford.”

Thompson said that while it was too early to say which franchises would be brought to the UK, the parks had unique elements, allowing people to visit each and find something different.

One common theme is horror — modern ghost rides and themed jump scares have proven popular — and Halloween will feature in its range of seasonal events at Bedford. The plans also include a free “CityWalk” with restaurants and shops.

A research firm hired by Universal estimates the net economic contribution of the site — set against alternative plans for housing and warehouses on the site — would be £35.1bn over the first 20 years of operations.

The figure brings together the boost to tourism, jobs created and construction and maintenance of the resort. Thompson said the government would take in extra £14.1bn in tax in the period, making a total of £49.2bn.

Thompson said recent community surveys had yielded more than 6,000 responses. More than nine in 10 people said they were “positive” about the development; the remainder (8 per cent) was split between “do not know” and “negative”.

“This is the highest percentage of positive responses we’ve ever seen for any potential project,” said Thompson.

The FT is a really interesting newspaper in which to put what look like exclusive quotes.

It is a pretty high brow paper, not a place for fluff pieces. They’re highlighting (as expected) economic benefits which is in keeping with the readership. I suspect the choice of the FT is to convey seriousness and to probably to target readers who will be able to influence decision makers in government.

Edit - I suspect it means they’ve decided to progress

Last edited: