Universal Great Britain | Page 107 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Loved this little piece just published on the BBC News website interviewing students at Bedford College on their perspective about the proposed theme park on their doorstep. It illustrates the very welcome chat about the economic benefits of Universal's massive investment in the area, how local people could benefit from a variety of employment options and the possibilities for collaboration between Universal and local schools and colleges.

Edit: :nervous: I see that @yepthatguy got there first.

Not sure that I'd describe it as odd or that decisions are being taken behind the scenes. Seems to me that the facts have changed (ie, much more traffic is likely along Manor Road than previously assessed) so EWR/National Rail have responded accordingly. Seems sensible to me, and what you'd hope would happen. Encouraging for us who hope that Universal's decision will be to go ahead, as it seems likely that the rail infrastructure bodies are taking (expensive) decisions which take in to account a major development around that part of Bedford which they need to respond to.
I think they already know they're going ahead with it and that's what they they've been speaking to the press lately. It doesn't mean that they are going to make a big announcement with lots of fanfare.

Reactions: yepthatguy
I've suddenly changed my mind after seeing the email on project universal page. If they want it to happen they will make it happen. The fact they haven't made their mind up yet means it's not.

I've suddenly changed my mind after seeing the email on project universal page. If they want it to happen they will make it happen. The fact they haven't made their mind up yet means it's not.
I think that’s just their way of saying ‘we’ll announce it whenever we damn well please.’

The fact they haven't made their mind up yet means it's not.
Not happening; or not yet happening? I don't think they have taken the final decision on whether to proceed or not, but that doesn't mean I think the project is dead in the water.

I think an investment of this scale will have to be approved by the main Comcast Board. That's not a decision taken on a whim, and Page Thompson's New Ventures division will have to put together a comprehensive case for consideration by the Comcast Board covering every foreseeable element of developing a brand new international resort. Once that happens and the Board gives their approval we can finally say for certain that Universal are proceeding with their application. Until then I think we can say that they have shown every intention of proceeding given what we know of the work done so far, but there is always a chance, no matter how small, that events unforeseen bring the project to a halt.

What email is this?
On the 5th of June @ProjectUniversalUK received a reply to an email he sent to Page Thompson asking about progress on the proposal. As I understand it, the reply essentially said that the decision to proceed had not been taken, and to follow the official Universal UK project website for more updates.

Attachments

• 447407063_122128951964263586_7537861760258035921_n.jpg
    447407063_122128951964263586_7537861760258035921_n.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Allegedly, Comcast has already had the meeting and made their decision. It’s just a matter of when they’ll announce it either way.

From experience with big companies if they really want it they get it and you don't hear much more about it.
They basically say we want it and it happens but with this one that hasn't happened.

From experience with big companies if they really want it they get it and you don't hear much more about it.
They basically say we want it and it happens but with this one that hasn't happened.
You do understand that even the 'big companies' have to do projects like this in a step by step manner, right? Especially one of this scale, they aren't just gonna dump £10 billion on a new Park without doing a proper review and their full due diligence. Just because there's no public signs that it's going ahead doesn't mean they suddenly got cold feet, that's not how it works.

So you think they've decided it's not going ahead?

Yes that is my honest opinion. Think about everything else that's happened. For example people building sky scrapers in the centre of London. Admiralty Arch turning into a hotel. They happen because they want it to happen with no messing about.

Yes that is my honest opinion. Think about everything else that's happened. For example people building sky scrapers in the centre of London. Admiralty Arch turning into a hotel. They happen because they want it to happen with no messing about.

That's not how any of this works, at all.

Reactions: Steeb
Yeah, no.

That’s a very strange viewpoint. These processes take years, none of these companies close their eyes, point at an empty piece of land and say ‘that’ll do’ then 18 months later there’s a 200ft building.

Just no.

Reactions: Steeb and xtpower
It is for these people. They want something they get it. All of the things that happen are the things people never hear about before hand.

Those things 'you never hear about' are exactly what Universal is doing right this moment. The fact you seem to think that cos it's not been decided yet means it's not happening just boggles the mind.