Universal Great Britain | Page 48 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm not really sure what the worry is.

The A1 side/blackcat roundabout hotspot is being sorted, ground already broken to turn that into a flyover with A1 and continue the road along to Cambridge and thence to Ipswich. M1 side decent, have never really had long delays specific to turning off the M1 onto the A421 even at busy times (was driving that way today and noticed they've left space for an extra couple of lanes on the central reservation where the A421 meets the M1 too). The A421 dual carriageway is pretty wide with extra lanes for some of the bigger junctions and verges/hard shoulders.

I guess there's a question of where traffic will leave the A421 to access the site?

I used to come off the A421 at the A5141 junction (the one on the right in the map below) as I lived in that part of town and it was never bad even during rush hour. However, getting onto the B530 which goes down the east side of the Universal site is a bit of a pain - you have to come off the A421 at the A5141, go north to the B530 and turn left past interchange retail park - badly planned road there and lots of queues from people going to the retail park. I doubt that would be the way it would be accessed though.

I'd guess access would be from the left junction on the map though anyway (by Maypole Farm pub). Bigger junction, most traffic coming off it is heading North around the A6 bypass, and A421 goes to 3 lanes for a bit to keep traffic flowing on the East side. I'd guess the car park would be accessed from there by turning on to Manor Road. Probably some improvements could be made there but it's nothing earth shattering - pretty small scale road changes to keep things flowing. The area on the left of the map is absolutely filled with distribution centres. Massive new places with dozens of truck bays that have been going up over the past few years specifically because the road infrastructure is good.

@tommyhawkins - where did you reckon the car park would be again?
View attachment 20487
Edit: I've just noticed the map actually shows the distribution centres for Argos, ASDA, Sainsburys on the south side of A421, i.e. right next to the site. If nothing else, this should give a good clue that roads are good!

Sorry for the diatribe @HandsomePete!

Edit: I've just noticed the map actually shows the distribution centres for Argos, ASDA, Sainsburys on the south side of A421, i.e. right next to the site. If nothing else, this should give a good clue that roads are good!

Sorry for the diatribe @HandsomePete!
As someone who has played the game in this industry at a higher level than probably anyone else here, maybe it's that I don't understand putting this much effort into things unless I'm getting paid.

Also, double-posting is frowned upon here. Use the edit button instead of quoting yourself and starting a new post with "Edit:" Your friend Tommy has the same issue with that.

I'm not really sure what the worry is.

The A1 side/blackcat roundabout hotspot is being sorted, ground already broken to turn that into a flyover with A1 and continue the road along to Cambridge and thence to Ipswich. M1 side decent, have never really had long delays specific to turning off the M1 onto the A421 even at busy times (was driving that way today and noticed they've left space for an extra couple of lanes on the central reservation where the A421 meets the M1 too). The A421 dual carriageway is pretty wide with extra lanes for some of the bigger junctions and verges/hard shoulders.

I guess there's a question of where traffic will leave the A421 to access the site?

I used to come off the A421 at the A5141 junction (the one on the right in the map below) as I lived in that part of town and it was never bad even during rush hour. However, getting onto the B530 which goes down the east side of the Universal site is a bit of a pain - you have to come off the A421 at the A5141, go north to the B530 and turn left past interchange retail park - badly planned road there and lots of queues from people going to the retail park. I doubt that would be the way it would be accessed though.

I'd guess access would be from the left junction on the map though anyway (by Maypole Farm pub). Bigger junction, most traffic coming off it is heading North around the A6 bypass, and A421 goes to 3 lanes for a bit to keep traffic flowing on the East side. I'd guess the car park would be accessed from there by turning on to Manor Road. Probably some improvements could be made there but it's nothing earth shattering - pretty small scale road changes to keep things flowing. The area on the left of the map is absolutely filled with distribution centres. Massive new places with dozens of truck bays that have been going up over the past few years specifically because the road infrastructure is good.

@tommyhawkins - where did you reckon the car park would be again?
View attachment 20487

Something like this but with the option 2 configuration
Screenshot_20240127_190828_Gallery.jpg

Cool. An easier option could be a new eastbound junction onto fields road as that already goes over the A421?

1706385667418.png
Your map does explain this weird roundabout that serves no purpose - looks like the cross field road you mark must have been in some long term plan before:

1706385736295.png

I'm confused, what exactly are the worries about infrastructure people have? Specifically what roads?

I thought most people on here including myself think that the infrastructure and planned work will be adequate. However information from one of the local village councillors clearly stated that Universal are in talks with the Uk Gov about the A1 - M1 connection.

That alone makes it sound like both Universal and the UK gov have reservations on whether what’s there now, even with the other infrastructure planned, will be adequate.

Reactions: bedfordmassive
I thought most people on here including myself think that the infrastructure and planned work will be adequate. However information from one of the local village councillors clearly stated that Universal are in talks with the Uk Gov about the A1 - M1 connection.

That alone makes it sound like both Universal and the UK gov have reservations on whether what’s there now, even with the other infrastructure planned, will be adequate.
OK - thanks! I hadn’t realised such a direct source!

My money, based on zero transport infrastructure experience, would be on M1/A421 junction improvement (quite indirect at the mo) and a new junction onto Fields Rd.

Reactions: yepthatguy

They would be in talks about the A421 because the kinda road work I've drawn will be picked up by the highways agency

There seems to be far too much emphasis on this whole thing to be honest. Stansted airport has a very similar set up but with only 1 Trainline connection, also has a Dual carriageway connection for a large portion of visitors and is riddled with dual carriageways in and around the terminal too....however see nearly three times as many visitors and this park will get and it's absolutely fine.

I would also take what the councillor said with a pinch of salt and not hang on every word, cos they've probably been shown a deck from Uni and not remembering everything in detail correctly.

Also shout out to the Braggart, the only issue I have is when people sound like they need a hug and decide to take their offline crap out on strangers on the internet. Bullies are still bullies even when they're being passive aggressive on forums

Has anyone heard any other news about Universal trying to purchase those houses on the road in between both sets of land?

It was on here where someone said offers had been put in isn’t it?

Which would seem odd if they’re not somewhat ‘committed’ to going ahead.

Also shout out to the Braggart, the only issue I have is when people sound like they need a hug and decide to take their offline crap out on strangers on the internet. Bullies are still bullies even when they're being passive aggressive on forums

Did I say something bad? Apologies if I’ve offended.

Reactions: mccgavin
Being tagged into a thread that you haven’t bothered with in a month is incredibly odd. Rent free and all that.

It was for the person bragging whilst trying to make you feel bad for putting effort trying to understand a topic, you carry on it's all good

I’ve posted here for years without ever alluding to anything of the sort. If you have an issue with my background, I would encourage you to get over it.

Since the mods obviously haven’t been able to curtail your weird, argumentative tendencies… congrats on being the first person on my ignore list.

• Haha
Reactions: tommyhawkins
Has anyone heard any other news about Universal trying to purchase those houses on the road in between both sets of land?

It was on here where someone said offers had been put in isn’t it?

Which would seem odd if they’re not somewhat ‘committed’ to going ahead.
I haven’t heard anything further. I would assume because this road runs right through the middle of the development that something will have to be done with it. Whether it’s closed off to public use for good and redirected. Either way it looks like those houses will have to go with them being so close.

Reactions: Altonsky
I haven’t heard anything further. I would assume because this road runs right through the middle of the development that something will have to be done with it. Whether it’s closed off to public use for good and redirected. Either way it looks like those houses will have to go with them being so close.
The road will stay the road. It doesn't need anything done to it because all the traffic would be coming in exactly where Kempston Station is to the west.
But if you look at this mock up of potential layout.... the Houses are close to the parking lot and hotel...so it's advantageous to offer them above market (double was quoted in the article) value to sell up. Any rides would be the other side of a hotel so persuading residents to leave is probably not essential but easy for them

Reactions: Chessy
The road will stay the road. It doesn't need anything done to it because all the traffic would be coming in exactly where Kempston Station is to the west.
So essentially the road wouldn’t be used? A new road to the west leading in. Sorry I’m just trying to build a picture in my mind. Great draft, it’s good to see how things might look.

It’ll be interesting to see what kind of layout they go for on how you gain access and leave the park. And the placement of a city walk type area etc.

So essentially the road wouldn’t be used? A new road to the west leading in. Sorry I’m just trying to build a picture in my mind. Great draft, it’s good to see how things might look.

It’ll be interesting to see what kind of layout they go for on how you gain access and leave the park. And the placement of a city walk type area etc.
I probably need to put together a comprehensive plan that explains most things from the back and forth of this forum. I have an idea about how to modify Wixams to avoid the problems there that added a mile of road journey for shuttle buses, but essentially the road would just be local traffic and buses from station yeah

Statement just released today by local MP Mohammad Yasin:

I have just finished meeting with Universal in part of my ongoing discussions about their potential plans for a theme park in Bedford Borough.
I have been in discussions about this subject for some time but I have agreed with Universal today that I can publicly say that I will be meeting with Universal every month going forward. If you have anything you would like to be considered as part of the potential plans please let me know and I will ensure that they are put forward.
The discussions will continue to be confidential and so I will not be able to share updates from the meetings but I hope that this gives Bedford and Kempston residents a voice in the proposals as they develop.
So let me know your thoughts below or drop me an email at: office@mohammadyasin.org
Mohammad Yasin
Member of Parliament for Bedford

Statement just released today by local MP Mohammad Yasin:

I have just finished meeting with Universal in part of my ongoing discussions about their potential plans for a theme park in Bedford Borough.
I have been in discussions about this subject for some time but I have agreed with Universal today that I can publicly say that I will be meeting with Universal every month going forward. If you have anything you would like to be considered as part of the potential plans please let me know and I will ensure that they are put forward.
The discussions will continue to be confidential and so I will not be able to share updates from the meetings but I hope that this gives Bedford and Kempston residents a voice in the proposals as they develop.
So let me know your thoughts below or drop me an email at: office@mohammadyasin.org
Mohammad Yasin
Member of Parliament for Bedford

That’s awesome.

Is this Facebook post the source?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog