Universal Great Britain | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Quick question.

Since some have suggested that LotR is being eyeballed for this park, what about other Warner Bros. properties? Are the DC heroes and Looney Tunes tied up by anyone in the UK? I ask because those are clear ways to make this park unique and Warner most likely wouldn’t mind that cash flow right now.

Reactions: mccgavin
I laid out a rough timeline on my thread last night. Despite all the research we've done so far, it's quite difficult to get your head around the UK planning process so it's gonna take a whole lot more research, I do feel that have done a lot more work this past year than they are admitting and land purchase was at the end of that process not the start:

I think you are spot on that Universal has already done some decent amount of work this year. They aren't going public only because of a youtube video. Sure proof of land sold was found but they could also started up a movie studio or somethinge else. But they came out to say it's going to be a theme park resort. It still can be canned but I'm positive.

Quick question.

Since some have suggested that LotR is being eyeballed for this park, what about other Warner Bros. properties? Are the DC heroes and Looney Tunes tied up by anyone in the UK? I ask because those are clear ways to make this park unique and Warner most likely wouldn’t mind that cash flow right now.
Aren't DC movies even doing worse than Marvel at the moment?

I think you are spot on that Universal has already done some decent amount of work this year. They aren't going public only because of a youtube video. Sure proof of land sold was found but they could also started up a movie studio or somethinge else. But they came out to say it's going to be a theme park resort. It still can be canned but I'm positive.
I think both can be true. We heard about it cause there was known prior movement. Then their public reaction was because the video gained such traction in the public. News picked up the story, and it went global. The timing of their reaction is tied.

Their response at least at this point is reactionary but they likely had this ready to go for a later date.

Reactions: mainejeff and Nico
Quick question.

Based off the Texas park, it seems as if Universal wants to lean heavily on their own IP. I could imagine one big and unique IP like LOTR existing and being awesome, but I'd also expect a Minions, Jurassic Park, Dreamworks area.

Aren't DC movies even doing worse than Marvel at the moment?
Yes but that doesn’t mean people don’t like the idea of the characters anymore. A Batman take on Spider-Man would surely be a hit even though it would be more perfect if Kevin Conroy were still around to do it :pensive:

Basically make DCSHI.

Based off the Texas park, it seems as if Universal wants to lean heavily on their own IP. I could imagine one big and unique IP like LOTR existing and being awesome, but I'd also expect a Minions, Jurassic Park, Dreamworks area.
No reason why DC or Looney Tunes couldn't take another spot even if not both.

Yes but that doesn’t mean people don’t like the idea of the characters anymore. A Batman take on Spider-Man would surely be a hit even though it would be more perfect if Kevin Conroy were still around to do it :pensive:

Basically make DCSHI.

No reason why DC or Looney Tunes couldn't take another spot even if not both.
A DC land created under Universal would blow Avengers Campus out of the water and Looney Tunes has a lot of potential for theme parks as well. I see LT working as Universal's version of MMRR.

I don't know how likely Looney Tunes would be. While they certainly aren't irrelevant, I don't know if they have the same draw to children that they once had. If it's true that they cannot use Dreamworks characters, I feel like Illumination and Nintendo are the most likely to be utilized for family friendly areas, even if it's in a different form than Orlando.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I don't know how likely Looney Tunes would be. While they certainly aren't irrelevant, I don't know if they have the same draw to children that they once had. If it's true that they cannot use Dreamworks characters, I feel like Illumination and Nintendo are the most likely to be utilized for family friendly areas, even if it's in a different form than Orlando.
As I mentioned earlier on this thread, this could be a perfect opportunity to bring some sort of minion dark ride in place of Minion Mayhem. But in addition to Despicable Me, I wonder what other Illumination IPs (aside from Pets, I don't think the IP won't be relevant enough by the time UGB opens) could get attractions/areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog and MikePat
There we have what?

Merlin have a licensing deal

I thought the Merlin licensing deal was just in the terms of the Ogre, and not DWA at large. I’d also have to imagine there is an end-date to the licensing agreement.

Still can’t quite get my head around this
Same - odd they would have any interest in building in the middle of nowhere.

DLP was kind of out on its own, but the distance from there to CDG or central Paris is the distance from this to… Luton. And suburban sprawl has basically consumed Marne La Vallee now.

I'm curious what kind of attendance figures they would expect this park to get. No Park in the UK gets more than 3m visitors a year so I'm assuming we would be looking at something similar to Singapore in terms of visitor numbers.