Universal Great Britain | Page 132 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Why would universal want private residences on their land, I don’t personally see what they’d gain, nor do I see any benefits.
I’d guess the benefit is that it would be quite lucrative to sell with planning permission already in place some of the land they acquired which is not required for the theme park operations.

I’d guess the benefit is that it would be quite lucrative to sell with planning permission already in place some of the land they acquired which is not required for the theme park operations.
It’s how well you can incorporate a housing development so close to a big resort? Personally I don’t think it would be the best place for homes but I’m no expert. Either way Universal will want some extra acres to future proof further resort development. Or maybe they sell that land and look at a different plot for the future.

I don't believe Universal would ever allow residential housing on any land they may have plans to build part of the resort upon. I'm fairly sure there's no evidence of it outside of there being a plan for Housing that precedes Universal's plans and Rob trying to put two and two together.

There's alot of land around the two parcels that could be used for future housing that doesn't become a problem when the new residents realise being 50 feet away from a Theme Park isn't the most enjoyable of living situations. Which is also why I'm confident Universal would never allow housing on a parcel of land they may have earmarked for other uses - there's no reason to cause future problems, when you can find another solution.

Reactions: Steeb
The closest residential property to Universal Studios Florida is on Vineland Road I think, and is less than 200m from guest areas in the theme park. If you develop residential property on the northern end of the land that Universal has denoted as Mixed Use, you are over 1.5km away from where the theme park will be located. I might well be adding 2 and 2 and coming up with a basket of kittens rather than the less exciting 4, but take a look at Bedford Council's submission to the national Planning Inspectorate from 30 April. This part caught my attention (my bold):

... if the scheme [the Universal theme park] goes ahead it will bring into question the anticipated contributions to residential and employment growth at the HOU14 site [this is the land which was purchased by Universal when the acquired Cloud Wing Ltd]. The Council is working with Comcast to determine the scale of any residential development on the land they now own so that the likely contribution to housing supply from the HOU14 allocation can be confirmed ...

It might be that the scale of housing to be developed on Universal's plot of land amounts to zero houses, or it might amount to more than zero. But it seems to me clear that it is at least being considered.

If I'm honest that Northern parcel doesn't seem particularly suited for housing, especially with the restoration area being as it is. The best spot is where the old Brickworks used to sit and there is a 0% chance that Universal would give that up for residential housing. The rest will be surrounded on one side by large areas of restored nature areas that would feel off if you stick a residential housing right in the vicinity.

If I'm honest that Northern parcel doesn't seem particularly suited for housing, especially with the restoration area being as it is. The best spot is where the old Brickworks used to sit and there is a 0% chance that Universal would give that up for residential housing. The rest will be surrounded on one side by large areas of restored nature areas that would feel off if you stick a residential housing right in the vicinity.
Yes, that seems reasonable, perhaps nothing will come of these considerations. I'm only pointing out what Bedford has told the Planning Inspectorate regarding possible housing on the Universal land. Prior to Universal's interest in the area, Bedford's planning for that land, which is already zoned for development as I understand it, looked like this: Policy HOU14 Kempston Hardwick New Settlement.

output-13_628b666e741ee.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: xtpower