Universal Horror Unleashed - Las Vegas, NV | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Horror Unleashed - Las Vegas, NV

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You'd figure they'd have to change at least one maze annually for the Halloween seasons... I can't imagine it'd be great business for them if it were all the exact same mazes each Halloween season, as well as year long
Scary farms would like to have a word with you. . .

These won't be the temp mazes like we are use to at HHN now. They will be a lot more since they don't have a whole theme park to back them up. Lots of the big name independent houses across the country don't change yearly and they don't have to.

My hope would be if there are 4 houses. That 1 if not two are changed yearly

I mean maybe it could work to keep houses for that long but I think it could be hard to keep these houses filled if its really 2 years before each house is changed.

Scary farms would like to have a word with you. . .

These won't be the temp mazes like we are use to at HHN now. They will be a lot more since they don't have a whole theme park to back them up. Lots of the big name independent houses across the country don't change yearly and they don't have to.

I'd also argue that a lot of the big name independent houses across the country aren't open year round. And even then, they often make improvements and/or changes to their mazes, even if slight, to market something new.

And Knott's does change out a few mazes every year.

I don't think it's much to swap out a single maze, or at least enhances mazes with new effects. As we know from Goretorium, who never made any changes and was open year round, it didn't end well for them (I do realize other factors contributed, but that's got to be a part of it).

Lets be honest, Goretorium barely lasted a year so how can that be even mentioned when talking about changing up the line up with it never got it's line up off the ground lol. Unleashed has the benefit of being located in a place where people visit for this type of stuff on purpose. It is a tourist spot so I am figuring most of the business/visits will be from tourist who may come once a year to vegas. I personally don't see the need to totally switch out haunts every year or even ever other year as a lot of visitors will be first time visitors. I guess once it opens, they will get a feel at how to approach it.

Reactions: Clive
Yeah, I think like @jarmor said it's ultimately going to depend on what kind of visitors they expect to draw. If it's primarily tourists, there's little need to frequently change the house offerings. And even if they expect strong local visitation, I'd argue refreshing food/beverage offerings is a better pathway.

Reactions: Clive and jarmor
Yeah, I think like @jarmor said it's ultimately going to depend on what kind of visitors they expect to draw. If it's primarily tourists, there's little need to frequently change the house offerings. And even if they expect strong local visitation, I'd argue refreshing food/beverage offerings is a better pathway.

Goretorium tried but couldn't quite pull off making the venue somewhere people wanted to casually hang out. For Unleashed to succeed, I think they have to deliver something akin to the event - more than just excellent haunted houses, it's a party where you get to blow off steam with your friends.

Reactions: jarmor and Jake S
And that is the vibe that the main building of Area 15 has. Fun, inviting relaxed with pay per options around. I think the reason Lost Spirits distillery had to shut down is because it was for 21 and older and no one who doesn't drink wants to pay 65.00 for a tour. Universal has name recognition and the creativity behind it.

Reactions: Clive and Jake S
And that is the vibe that the main building of Area 15 has. Fun, inviting relaxed with pay per options around. I think the reason Lost Spirits distillery had to shut down is because it was for 21 and older and no one who doesn't drink wants to pay 65.00 for a tour. Universal has name recognition and the creativity behind it.

I think my argument is Unleashed has to basically have a cool bar area that's worth hanging out in due to special effects/theming/performers. Think Trader Sam's on steroids. You need to be able to go without paying to experience the haunts.

If they situated it that way. I know with Mega Mart, you can only enter their bar from within after paying for the megamart experience. However, that bar is very small and I don't remember food. This area will be unique as it seems to be an all outdoor corridor more akin to a shopping, district. It would be wise to have the bar/food have outside and inside access with the haunts being laid out around the perimeter with a center space for theming/tickets and such, if that makes sense. Where you can see the facades and then queue up after submitting your ticket. They way potential patrons can see the facades and be enticed to enter.

Reactions: Jake S
If Vegas got a Spooky Tiki Bar, I'd want one added to USH Citywalk too..

As for the houses. Just make minor changes, additions, technical upgrades, or even "limited time scares" to the existing line-up every so often & it'll be "new" without having to actually be "new". I'd also argue that you never get the same run-through experience in a house. We know this from doing the same house multiple times

If they're "recycling" past houses... again.. PLEASE... can we pull from Singapore!? (or at least for Hollywood lol)

Reactions: Jake S
It would be a great way for retired mazes from both Orlando and Hollywood to end up... part of me wonders if that's the long term plan, especially in light that they seem to be starting with just that in Scarecrows
I think this would be cool - but I'd wonder if HHN fans would be willing to travel to Vegas to do a favorite again.

But imagine having the opportunity to do Dead Man's Pier again? Legends Collide? Wicked Growth? That would be wild.

I'm thinking more the LA people who typically don't get to experience Orlando's HHN. Obviously, LA is a pretty big market for Vegas., so bringing over Orlando mazes could be a pretty big draw for LA haunt fans (of which there are a considerable number if you look at the numbers of people who visit Midsummer Scream)

This place doesn't need HHN fans to survive, in my opinion. Area 15 had 3.5 million visitors last year with 70% being tourist & 30% locals with a 33% repeat visitation. I, personally, would prefer all new content and concepts that can't be done in the parks due to budgets and restrictions. I would expect since it is less haunts and the ROI would be greater, we can have more elaborate sets and puppets/animatronics. I would expect concepts that can house a variety of environments. Concepts like Ghost Town, Holidayz in Hell/H.R. Bloodengutz Presents: Holidays of Horror, Scary Tales and All Night Die-in (to name a few) have great scenic design that doesn't get repetitious and lends itself to have a room or 2 changed over time.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I'd argue that the people who visit Area 15 are not necessarily the same people who would visit a haunt. I have a lot of people I know who flat out refuse to ever visit any kind of haunt, but they wouldn't be bothered by something like Area 15.

And I am really hoping that as they years go by, they make changes/improvements/add events. But I am cynical if that will really happen. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 98% sure that when they announced The Walking Dead year round maze at USH, they tauted how at least 1/3 of the maze could be swapped out and changed to keep the maze fresh. And as far as I know, no significant changes (aside from operational, as opposed to set design/layout) ever happened.