Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal In-Park Transportation/Tram

I have to agree with Felipe.

The moving walkways ARE the main source of guest transport from the parking decks to CityWalk and then the parks. And while you specifically may be a casual guest that will never partake in any of CityWalk's offerings, from Universal's perspective, the current setup is a guaranteed money making machine. By literally forcing all guests to pass through their shopping and dining district, it exponentially increases the amount of guests that will decide to spend some dough.

So offering a means of transport directly to park gates, meaning less money going to the entertainment, retail, and dining options, would simply be a massive mistake for them financially.

And come on, it's not that long of a walk from the end of the walkway bridge to either park entrance, considering the amount of walking a typical guest then has to do while in the parks themselves. :lol:

When I saw this post, this was going to be pretty much my response. Moving walk ways is their tram and they want people to walk thru the shops and places to eat because that is more money for them when you go, oh look at that, we should buy that or eat that. Especially at the end of the night when they want you to spend additional time on property and go to the clubs.

Busch Gardens Tampa is a HUGE park. It's 335 acres all said and done, USF and IOA are both in the 100 range and they have lagoons in the middle. I can understand parks that big having transportation. Epcot barely has anything, and Magic Kingdom only has transportation if you need to get to the very back left or right.

I agree, but the only thing I wish they had was a boat in IOA to take you from Toon to Suess. I don't like the circle park with no way to cross from one side to the other side easily. The only thing that saves them is the fact that there are no shows that require you to cross quickly, but still would be nice if you could cut across the circle easily. I know they used to have this and because of the bridges it won't be back, but it is nice to dream.

Well, technically you CAN walk straight to the front gates without passing thru Citywalk....you just have to be staying at one of their resorts in order to do so (There is also the water taxi, but once again, that's only if you're staying at one of their resorts).

Well, technically you CAN walk straight to the front gates without passing thru Citywalk....you just have to be staying at one of their resorts in order to do so (There is also the water taxi, but once again, that's only if you're staying at one of their resorts).

And if you are staying in the resort you are most likely already eating on property. They want the people who may leave the property once the park closes and eat somewhere else. Most people on property are going back to their hotel and therefore will eat on property before doing this.

I agree, but the only thing I wish they had was a boat in IOA to take you from Toon to Suess. I don't like the circle park with no way to cross from one side to the other side easily. The only thing that saves them is the fact that there are no shows that require you to cross quickly, but still would be nice if you could cut across the circle easily. I know they used to have this and because of the bridges it won't be back, but it is nice to dream.

I wouldn't mind an East to West water Taxi either. I think that would be much more beneficial for IOA than a North to South. USF if at all possible could benefit from a North to South form of in park transportation, but neither parks are so un-navigable that it's a dire issue.

I understand in park transportation in HUGE parks. I think if anything Magic Kingdom's could be more efficient and the same goes for Epcot, but UOR doesn't need it as much.

That would be cool. Not just as transportation, but it would be also nice to watch if they have beautifully designed boats travelling around the lagoon. I don't think it will happen, though, especially if we get a lagoon show, as strongly rumored and evidenced(?) by those curious little buoys in the lagoon. But it would be nice, indeed, if it could happen...

The old boats went from Port of Entry to JP, the only problem bringing it back is the new bridge at JP goes over the old dock there but it can be moved. But the other way, Toon to Suess, could be done if they wanted too.

Where would the boats be serviced? Only dock I notice is between Suess and LC, but would a full sized transportation boat be able to go under that bridge?

Besides, isn't the lagoon too shallow for a large (and thus heavy) "many-passenger" transportation boat?

Depends how the boats are designed and you don't need huge capacity. Depending on the time of the year you can have 1 - 4 boats running at a time to make up for the lower capacity. We already know they had boats on there, so we know it is not too shallow to have transportation flat bottom boats of some kind. They could be really well themed and it would look really nice. Docks can be made easily to accommodate this. Even with a lagoon show, they could still do it and have a boat path not used in the show. I still don't think they will spend their money to do this, but as I said, it is nice to dream.

The reason they won't is they want people to walk the entire park because they spend more time in the park and that means spending more money. Heck if you walk the park more than once because you have to go back to ride something that had a longer line or was closed down for a short period, or because you want to eat somewhere else than where you are, the better for them. Because that is more time in the park. Hence why the money will never be spend to move guests from one part of the park to the other part easily.

Ehh I really don't see the reason for one. It takes me maybe 8 minutes from the parking garage to the turnstiles at UNI.

Where would the boats be serviced? Only dock I notice is between Suess and LC, but would a full sized transportation boat be able to go under that bridge?

They used that for the old boats. And if they were to have boats again I don't see them being any larger than the ones they had previously.

Not for in-park but for hotels and City-Walk the street-car would be COOL!! if not maybe something like a ski-lift (but that'd ruin the sight lines)