Universal Lack of Announcements Thread | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Lack of Announcements Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think you guys are focusing a bit too narrowly on the separate departments from my statement. While brass and marketing are separate, yes, the fact is that Universal marketing itself is bad because of these decisions. Purely from a marketing standpoint, these are awful, myopic choices.

Oh I still agree with you. Uni's marketing team is still awful, but I'd blame management for the decisions.

Reactions: tankart150
It's like IOA/USJ all over again....At least we got MIB out of it though

Also, Universal marketing is not dumb

I mean, IoA is getting 2 coasters the next 2-3 years. That’s not nothing. I’ll also be shocked if USF gets nothing before Park 3.

I think you guys are focusing a bit too narrowly on the separate departments from my statement. While brass and marketing are separate, yes, the fact is that Universal marketing itself is bad because of these decisions. Purely from a marketing standpoint, these are awful, myopic choices.

I mean, I don’t agree. The actual marketing for UOR is great.

Oh I still agree with you. Uni's marketing team is still awful, but I'd blame management for the decisions.

Sigh, okay stop thinking of it as a department and think of it as the broad term marketing.

I mean, I don’t agree. The actual marketing for UOR is great.

Commercials are fine and all, but in terms of getting the word out for what's coming they're godawful. That's just not how you long-term market a vacation destination, period.

Reactions: natespf and Andysol
Blame management's hesitation for what would be considered marketing's fault.

For example, when the entire Scream fiasco was happening with HHN, marketing had to redo everything (billboards, commercials, all that stuff), which caused that sort of hatred of marketing from fans because Uni wouldn't announce anything.

And I can bet you that marketing did not want to market Supercharge as much as they did, but top brass wanted them too. Cinematic should have at least shared ad space with it. I believe the reason why 'marketing' is hush hush on Potter coaster is because they haven't heard nor do they have the permission to announce anything yet.
Yeah, they need to show their nighttime shows in their commercials. I find most guests don’t know that Universal has a nighttime show until shortly beforehand. At Disney it’s expected.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Andysol
Yeah, they need to show their nighttime shows in their commercials. I find most guests don’t know that Universal has a nighttime show until shortly beforehand. At Disney it’s expected.

Yep. I was shocked at how on a busy day (day before New Year's) 20 minutes before Cinematic was to start the viewing area was not busy at all. At show start it was a breathable and comfortable area to be in, no need to worry about being crushed like a sardine.

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant by 'certainty'. I meant, if i'm booking a vacation to Orlando for this Summer and I see that there's a new Harry Potter ride opening in '2019', how is the average tourist or even the HP fan supposed to feel confident about their booking dates if they want to be there when the new ride is actually OPEN?

FWIW Disneyland hasn't announced an opening date for SW:GE yet either. An off the cuff comment from Iger in an interview doesn't count.

Sorry I was also agreeing with you, but just adding on to your point.

The thing is: Universal marketing is dumb.

They might be cautious, they might be slow, but they are not numb.

Also you're talking about advertising not marketing.

The crazy thing is we heard that D23 2017 threw Universal's plans up in the air and made them rethink everything. The only thing that has happened (new - F&F was already under construction) since D23 is Potter and we still don't have a name. KidZone, Shrek, and FFL are still open and TL Theater and Sindbad theater are vacant.

Meanwhile, Disney has another D23 Expo this August.

Are you sure about that? I'm calling BS on this "Universal reshuffles plans after being scared from D23" argument. So I'm going to propose something that makes more sense.

Universal got a grip of the new park in fall of 2017 and focused on that. They moved several strong projects such as Ministry and Nintendo, to the new park while developing new projects for the existing parks. The only project that has fallen through, Dreamworks Theater at Shrek, is because of F&F/guest feedback more than what Disney did. It also lines up with Comcast CEO Brian Roberts interview in February 2018 saying the park has been green list and fast tracked recently.

On one hand we have "Universal got scared of Disney for some reason and is now doing... what exactly?" This doesn't line up with any timelines or rumors just "things changed".

The other hand "Universal moved projects from the existing parks to the new park to firm up plans and start development, while other new projects are in development for the existing parks." This lines up with the tax break, firming up the plans for the new park, and the CEO's comments.

FWIW Disneyland hasn't announced an opening date for SW:GE yet either. An off the cuff comment from Iger in an interview doesn't count.

They might be cautious, they might be slow, but they are not numb.

Also you're talking about advertising not marketing.

Are you sure about that? I'm calling BS on this "Universal reshuffles plans after being scared from D23" argument. So I'm going to propose something that makes more sense.

Universal got a grip of the new park in fall of 2017 and focused on that. They moved several strong projects such as Ministry and Nintendo, to the new park while developing new projects for the existing parks. The only project that has fallen through, Dreamworks Theater at Shrek, is because of F&F/guest feedback more than what Disney did. It also lines up with Comcast CEO Brian Roberts interview in February 2018 saying the park has been green list and fast tracked recently.

On one hand we have "Universal got scared of Disney for some reason and is now doing... what exactly?" This doesn't line up with any timelines or rumors just "things changed".

The other hand "Universal moved projects from the existing parks to the new park to firm up plans and start development, while other new projects are in development for the existing parks." This lines up with the tax break, firming up the plans for the new park, and the CEO's comments.
I agree that a lot of things got moved, but I’m just going on what a lot of credible insiders have said about D23.

Of course even the best Universal insider really is suspect bc UC is in a constant state of flux right now, so you might be right.

Reactions: tankart150
:eek:O:
lolwut?

If your advertising and/or promotional material sucks, your marketing department has failed. They can have great customer service or other marketing components, but it still doesn't make what @Ryan said untrue.

There is a difference, which is what Joe is inferring: one is spreading ads for awareness, while marketing is technically researching to track customer behavior, using that as a guide. But I'm using the umbrella term, yes. But in the end it's really semantics.

Reactions: natespf and Nick
I agree that a lot of things got moved, but I’m just going on what a lot of credible insiders have said about D23.

Of course even the best Universal insider really is suspect bc UC is in a constant state of flux right now, so you might be right.

Hey look I'm not denying UC is in flux, I'm saying it's more likely its because they're doing it because they're more ambitious and planning new things than shakin' in their boots cuz Disney.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
Hey look I'm not denying UC is in flux, I'm saying it's more likely its because they're doing it because they're more ambitious and planning new things than shakin' in their boots cuz Disney.
Oh I don’t doubt it. One of these days, we’ll have that magical day where Universal announces their new park and it’ll have made this period of time completely worth it.

And with Potter, Bourne and JP, it’s not like nothing is happening right now.

Oh I don’t doubt it. One of these days, we’ll have that magical day where Universal announces their new park and it’ll have made this period of time completely worth it.

And with Potter, Bourne and JP, it’s not like nothing is happening right now.

I think that's important to realize too, there's projects going on right now, with more on the way. Plus anything they haven't announced yet opening up "sooner than later". I mean we got a new nighttime show in 8 months from confirmation to opening!

I believe what has been said about the scared reaction to D23, but I think it only makes sense in the context of the new park, not that attractions planned for the current parks wouldn't work. Between the botched opening of Volcano Bay and Disney showing aggressiveness at D23, perhaps the fear of Fantastic Worlds becoming the next DCA became a bit too real for some in Universal/Comcast management.

If they were planning to simply continue on as they had been with the current parks and similarly phone it in for the third park, seeing that Disney plans to be a true competitor on new attractions in the next few years would certainly make the prospect of the new park becoming a financial disaster more realistic. As such, they moved the best plans they had at the time (Nintendo and Ministry) to the new park to serve as popularity anchors. Presumably, UC was also sent back to the drawing board to develop plans for FW composed entirely of fully immersive lands.

If everyone in Universal is focused on ensuring the success of the third gate, then it makes sense that other projects for the current parks would become a lower priority and start to get put off until FW is open and they can get the attention they need.

I think the dark period, when Blackstone owned the company, really made a permanent scar on the way the company handles “wins”

Universal in the past had always relied on their big new summer opening to bump attendance and numbers for the next year. They, like other parks, opened new things to keep people coming back

Then marched in Blackstone and the tourism decline, Universal found themselves in a curious predicament of cost cutting and money saving. Things looked pretty bleak around the company and there were many talks of which effects, rides, etc would go seasonal or have effects cut.

In all honesty, Universal really fell behind during this period and somewhat tarnished their brand (something I think they’re just now recovering from).

So, when 2008 rolled around, and the *clap* biggest *clap* IP *clap* ever *clap* was announced to have a new magical land, people waited. Why? I believe because there was no reason to go to Universal in 2008. Nothing new, cost cutting everywhere, and the same experience for a higher price.

Universal went as far as to give out free tickets to people in the mail, it got pretty bad.

Fast forward and the ‘boy who lived’ really paid off for the company, and we are sitting in 2019 with a completely transformed resort that has exploded so fast it’s unreal. Yet, I believe management, marketing, anyone who has been working for the company says “well what if”. What if Potter all the sudden stops being popular? What if there is another recession? What if?

I believe they have grown so fast that they don’t realize how much they have grown, and haven’t adapted management wise, marketing wise, etc

I mean, they are consistently in the top 10 most attended theme parks in the world, let that sink in. There are a ton of theme and amusement parks in the world.

I think they still think of themselves in many ways as the “summer vacation” resort and in other ways realize that they are a year round destination, it’s very odd.

So with things like the Harry Potter coaster, it makes perfect sense as to why they would not release any information about it, while at the same time, it is aggravating to fans/people in the know.

I think everyone is ready for a Universal to be more aggressive with staying in the public eye. I would say, regarding their current expansions, they are ready as well. It just seems they are still hung up on the pre-Potter mentality. Which I believe is a huge mistake.

I don’t think marketing is dumb, I don’t think management is dumb, I do think they need to adapt to their new resort and start managing the new Universal Orlando

Stop asking “what if” and start asking “what next”

God bless America

My opinion, I repeat my opinion..

I believe Universal Orlando needs true change in leadership to be more aggressive.

The higher ups seem almost cowardly in their actions.

The only things that have been confirmed and actually in construction are T2 replacement, Potter coaster, and hotels.

All these additions were in line before the D23 announcements of 2017. Since then we have seen them postpone openings F&F and cancel(move) projects like Nintendo.

We can hoot and ha all we want that a new park is coming but an opening date at the earliest is 2023(2022 would be really rushed) so really what.

They pushed F&F to 2018 cause they had nothing for the year and I’m calling it now, T2/Bourne will be pushed to 2020 cause they have nothing.

Why do they have nothing well they are afraid.
Afraid to spend, afraid to move, and afraid of Disney. The new park will cost money yes. You need a draw yes. But you took your projects from one park and moved them. Thats not really an addition to me, just a swap.

So the Orlando execs are not exactly going full speed ahead but just stealing from peter to give to Paul and it makes me sad.

They closed a stage show(I know it was crap) without a replacement for years and canceled/ delayed projects all so we can have another park.

To put it another way:
SLOP(Shrek)+MoM(FFL)+SNW(Kidzone)+
Berk(Lost Continent)+Volcano Bay Expansion+Seuss Landing Expansion+MIB expansion pad addition+Toon Lagoon Theater repacecement.
*I know not all were for sure but imagine*

=

New Park

What would really be better? Truly?

For me it’s both as they are equal in value.

I know it’s a lot but what will be the reason for those that have been to UO recently to visit the North resort just hit the new south property and save your money.

Now not only did you steal the projects for the new park but the customers as well. Yay the new park has decent attendance but wait IoA and USF are stagnant/decreasing but why?

Borrow from peter to pay Paul, well peter still needs to get paid.

The strategy will fail unless they get their acts together.

Oh and for those wondering why the Jurassic Park coaster was delayed and now likely a 2021 addition well because their actual 2021 addition got moved to the new park so they delayed the project for fill.

My opinion and it makes me sad to think this but it’s just to obvious.

2020 was suppose to be Disney and Universal for my vacation but with all these delays and indecision, why would I visit Universal. Disney and a 8 day cruise is now my plan.

Before you all start hating on me I love Universal and was rooting for them against Disney but Orlando’s resort looks timid and I’ll wait and save my money for greener pastures.

Hell Hollywood will have as many new attractions as both parks in Orlando between now and 2021 with one actually being an expansion land for SNW.

USH I’ll see you in 2021 and USO call me when the new park opens.

Just my opinion...

My opinion, I repeat my opinion..

I believe Universal Orlando needs true change in leadership to be more aggressive.

The higher ups seem almost cowardly in their actions.

The only things that have been confirmed and actually in construction are T2 replacement, Potter coaster, and hotels.

All these additions were in line before the D23 announcements of 2017. Since then we have seen them postpone openings F&F and cancel(move) projects like Nintendo.

We can hoot and ha all we want that a new park is coming but an opening date at the earliest is 2023(2022 would be really rushed) so really what.

They pushed F&F to 2018 cause they had nothing for the year and I’m calling it now, T2/Bourne will be pushed to 2020 cause they have nothing.

Why do they have nothing well they are afraid.
Afraid to spend, afraid to move, and afraid of Disney. The new park will cost money yes. You need a draw yes. But you took your projects from one park and moved them. Thats not really an addition to me, just a swap.

So the Orlando execs are not exactly going full speed ahead but just stealing from peter to give to Paul and it makes me sad.

They closed a stage show(I know it was crap) without a replacement for years and canceled/ delayed projects all so we can have another park.

To put it another way:
SLOP(Shrek)+MoM(FFL)+SNW(Kidzone)+
Berk(Lost Continent)+Volcano Bay Expansion+Seuss Landing Expansion+MIB expansion pad addition+Toon Lagoon Theater repacecement.
*I know not all were for sure but imagine*

=

New Park

What would really be better? Truly?

For me it’s both as they are equal in value.

I know it’s a lot but what will be the reason for those that have been to UO recently to visit the North resort just hit the new south property and save your money.

Now not only did you steal the projects for the new park but the customers as well. Yay the new park has decent attendance but wait IoA and USF are stagnant/decreasing but why?

Borrow from peter to pay Paul, well peter still needs to get paid.

The strategy will fail unless they get their acts together.

Oh and for those wondering why the Jurassic Park coaster was delayed and now likely a 2021 addition well because their actual 2021 addition got moved to the new park so they delayed the project for fill.

My opinion and it makes me sad to think this but it’s just to obvious.

2020 was suppose to be Disney and Universal for my vacation but with all these delays and indecision, why would I visit Universal. Disney and a 8 day cruise is now my plan.

Before you all start hating on me I love Universal and was rooting for them against Disney but Orlando’s resort looks timid and I’ll wait and save my money for greener pastures.

Hell Hollywood will have as many new attractions as both parks in Orlando between now and 2021 with one actually being an expansion land for SNW.

USH I’ll see you in 2021 and USO call me when the new park opens.

Just my opinion...

Just want to correct a false bit of your statement:

Supercharged was moved to 2018 because there was delays in construction - aka foundation issues. Same issues which caused that Coke project by MIB to take so long.