Universal Monsters: Unmasked (HHN 32) | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Monsters: Unmasked (HHN 32)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, sometimes simpler is better. Honestly, the plot for Legends Collide was way too complicated and the house worked not because of that story but in spite of it.

These are the Paris Monsters at their lowest moments, they are on a killing spree, you've got to escape. It isn't canon and you don't (and shouldn't) have to think about it too hard. Given some of the really interesting design regarding SIF, water effects, air blasts, the beautiful sets, and at least on my run very solid scares, I agree that the story criticism feels nitpicky and I'd much rather talk about anything else regarding this house.

This isn't a VS house, and it shouldn't be. Any VS house with more than two monsters is going to get muddled, let alone 5. How quick we forget because of how hard the UCM:LC casts went by the end, but this time last year we were all complaining about the lack of Dracula in that house. The fact that they fit 4 to 5 monsters cleanly into this house is pretty impressive.

Last edited:
My lust for story is simply a preference or clarification of events in a house.
In summary, I just don’t think that aspect hit for me quite as well.

But I still like this a house a bit. Just isn’t as good at Monsters 2019 or BOFL.

There is story, but I think it's just not as strong as the past two UM stories.

Plus like I mentioned, I don't think Phantom carving faces like Leatherface fits him at all. Plus Quasimodo killing random people just doesn't make any sense, unless they changed his backstory.
I’ll echo what Brian said about the Phantom being the only real killer or mad man in the house, Mr. Hyde persona excluded.

I mean the Phantom would hang folks who spited him and dropped a chandelier on an innocent crowd of Opera attendees and the production’s chorus. He’s not exactly a nice guy.

Quasimodo, from what John Murdy told us in our Hollywood tour of monsters, isn’t really a killer, but he is so wrapped up in protecting Esmeralda (like the original silent film and the novel) he kills/harms a number of people in his pursuit to save his love.

*adjusts glasses*
*extremely nerd voice*

the invisible man, for what it's worth, is absolutely a murderous psychopath. but for understandable reasons, it doesn't appear he's getting much run in this house.
Yeah, he’s not a star of this so I figured I’d leave him out of the analysis, but he’s phantom-level easily! Haha

Reactions: Ahmanet and Jake S
Looks like a great setting for a house, with or without the monsters

Was hoping for a Creature cameo, but guess not

I haven't been through the house yet, nor seen any footage, BUT I will say that not every house needs a complicated story. Some of the best houses are simple, and the plot doesn't need to be overly complex. "Monsters unmasked in Paris," got it.
Not every house needs a complicated story, but when your predecesors are Bride of Frankenstein Lives and Legends Collide that do a great job of threading everything together into a cohesive but understandable story and set a precedent, stepping back to a 2019 level monster mash kinda feels like a step down when the bar has been set, and a bit of a missed opportunity all things considered.

You guys are way over thinking this. The Invisible Man is the one doing all the killings.

First I thought the Hutchback was attacking but after seeing him doing pulldowns on the bell, how would I feel if someone interrupted my back day. Then I saw the snarling, Hyde guy. But then I saw the tissue in his hand and I'm like, he's not snarling. He's sneezing. People keep asking where the Invisible Man is - if you ask me, I'd say hes up to something. Screenshot_20230904_232848_Brave.jpg

And I'd appreciate if you'd get up off the Phantoms back about it.

My lust for story is simply a preference or clarification of events in a house.
In summary, I just don’t think that aspect hit for me quite as well.

But I still like this a house a bit. Just isn’t as good at Monsters 2019 or BOFL.
So how does 2019 Monsters work for your story preferences? Haha That was literally hodge podge of Monsters with no narrative.

So how does 2019 Monsters work for your story preferences? Haha That was literally hodge podge of Monsters with no narrative.
Yes that is true!
Because it was presented as a hodge podge with no narrative! There was very little context, which shifted your expectations in a good direction.

I think the expectations here in this case is that I was expecting a little bit more clarity of story since it is shown as a more niche story and setting because it was presented as so in the description and other media.

I just viewed 2019s house as “The best of Universal Monsters” rather than something like BOFL, or Legends Collide. So in this case, this was not presented as “The best of Phantom, Hunchback, Invisible Man, and Hyde.”
But more as it could be a layered story.

I don’t think every house has to have a super complex story, that would be ludicrous. But I was just expecting more since the past two monster houses have a richer story.

I still want to say though, this is not a bad house at all.

Can't remember who brought it up (I think it was in the HHN Hollywood thread) but if it looks really cheap and out of place, Invisible Man could've been a late addition to the house. And dang, I was hoping there would've been some crazy blacklight mirror maze for Invisible Man.

Having them fight would've been pretty crazy ngl. Not sure what the story would be behind that, as it seems they couldn't even come up with one

I'm still disappointed in how little and how simple they made him.
But I guess something is better than nothin'. I guess I'll be happy that he's there. I love him. I'm glad we got him a little bit. If it's added last minute then it turned out pretty well in that case. All things considered. I'll try to enjoy his presence. At least he's there.

That actually was part of a Phantom remake in the 80's starring Robert Englund as The Phantom.. but I agree, especially when I was hoping they'd design a cool porcelain mask for The Phantom, kinda like a hybrid of Chaney and Rains' masks

I am really mad about the lack of this item. That is something I miss. And it was easy to create. The one thing I was looking for the most.
The first room should have had it. Oh well.
So, the monsters are just there?
There is no substance in that area, at all.
Why are they there? If it’s for a fun so they can just do their own thing and kill others, it should atleast be insinuated within the house. They have story beats and elements that just aren’t rounded out in the rest of the story of the house.

The opening is very good, but the newsboy atleast to me does not satisfy the bridging the cap between events in the house in a satisfying storytelling way.

A lot of these are nit picky claims but sometimes it’s best to be a harsh critic in the sake of hoping to get something better in the future.
I wonder if people would be mad if the story was that we were in a movie theater jumping from movie to movie. Like if it was a movie theater like in 2009 and we were just visiting each movie and passing from theater to theater like in 2009. Universal tried to do an elaborate story but maybe it was better to do a theater type house? Or worse ?

Honestly, the only big critique I have in this house, is that they made Mr. Hyde into a snarling monster with no dialogue

That's true too. I think He needed a top hat like In some of the movies lol. He had a top hat on almost every movie appearance if I remember. A top hat would have made him look less like a werewolf. He looks like the wolf from 2009. He's kind of wearing the same clothes as wolf man from 2009 and similar mask.

Reactions: Crypt Keeper
Went through this house a few times tonight, what a great time! Just a lot of fun, a ton of cool effects with mirror scares, faux walls, water sprays, air blasts, and great SIF. The Hyde design has really grown on me, and I adore every moment we get with the Invisible Man. We also get some really pretty and expansive sets too! I'll have to go thru TLOU one more time to make sure, but this might be my favorite IP house of the event! At least for these first two weeks!

• Love
Reactions: Lucky Planet

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts