Universal Orlando 2016 Year in Review | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando 2016 Year in Review

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
With the new year, I thought it'd be fun to have some general discussion about the state of the resort, looking at what changes 2016 brought and overview what we've got to look forward to in 2017!

-To start, over at Universal Studios Florida, Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue had its last performance on January 5th. This was in the wake of its sister San Francisco attraction, Disaster!, also closing to make way for construction on Fast & Furious: Supercharged, due to open in 2018.
Beetlejuices-Graveyard-Revue-1170x731.jpg

-USF saw a new experience open up in March in the form of Hello Kitty, featuring merchandise and meet-and-greets with the popular Sanrio characters. This replaced the Lucy: A Tribute exhibit.
Hello-Kitty-3.jpg

Universal Orlando revealed a new logo to more closely align with the studio logo that was introduced in 2012.
uorl.png

The King returned to Universal in July with the major new Skull Island: Reign of Kong attraction at Islands of Adventure. Visitors to the mysterious island take a journey where they're attacked by a never-ending assortment of vicious prehistoric monsters, only to be saved by the legend himself, King Kong.
Skull-Island-Reign-of-Kong-Now-Open-4--1170x731.jpg

Also as of July, Universal guests now have a fifth option for onsite themed lodging with the opening of the Caribbean-flavored Sapphire Falls Resort.
Sapphire-Falls-Resort-Now-Open-1170x731.jpg

The Incredible Hulk Coaster reopened at Islands of Adventure after having gone through a complete rebuild for nearly ten months, adding new coaster trains, a redesigned queue, a different storyline, and on-board music.
hulk.jpg

-The whimsical new Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen opened in CityWalk in September (replacing the former NBA City), offering all manner of chocolate-tinged delicacies and treats.
The-Toothsome-Chocolate-Emporium-Exterior-Now-Open.jpg

Reflecting the ever-increasing popularity of Universal Orlando, ticket prices went up twice over the course of the year, including in November when they also started offering tickets for the upcoming Volcano Bay water theme park. In the process of overhauling their ticket products, Universal also started offering a new bottom tier Seasonal Pass that has additional blockout periods, and shiny new plastic annual passes.
Passholders.jpg

Universal's Superstar Parade at USF received the first refresh in its history with the addition of a float based on The Secret Life of Pets.
TheSecretLifeofPets_Resized8-1170x731.jpg

And, finally, Wet 'n Wild had their Last Splash after 39 years of operation, closing their doors forever at 5 PM on December 31st. Wet 'n Wild was considered by many to be the very first modern water park.
wet-n-wild-1170x731.jpg

2016 added a lot, but we've got even more to look forward to in 2017!

Thirteen years after Universal and NBC merged, NBC will finally have a major presence in the parks with the opening of Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon. This Tonight Show-themed attraction will add a wild new ride and the iconic sight of Rockefeller Center to the skyline of New York in Universal Studios.
FEATURED_FALLON-1170x731.jpg

Even more lodging will become available when an expansion opens at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort. The new Bayside and Beachside towers will open in March, offering spectacular views of Volcano Bay.
CBBR-blog-1170x731.jpg

And of course that leads to the big one for 2017, a whole new park, the Volcano Bay water theme park! Poised to raise the water park experience to a whole new level with intricate theming that focuses on fun and relaxation, and innovative features such as the TapuTapu wristband system that will activate effects throughout the park and virtually hold your place in line for you.
Universals-Volcano-Bay-Krakatau.jpg

Nice recap!!! This is the kind of thing that would be cool as a post on the main page.

This really puts everything into perspective. I wonder what a similar piece on WDW or SWO/BGT would look like.

Reactions: Mr. EPCOT
Nice recap!!! This is the kind of thing that would be cool as a post on the main page.

This really puts everything into perspective. I wonder what a similar piece on WDW or SWO/BGT would look like.
WDW would actually have a decent amount to talk about from 2016 (Soarin' Update, Frozen Ever After, New MK Stage Show, Muppets additions, New MK Christmas party show, Disney Springs Opening, New Fireworks shows at DHS, Drone Test Show, etc.

2017 will likely be a bit more bleak as far as I can see right now. There's nothing major happening anywhere except for DAK where Pandora will be opening in Summer and one would think Rivers of Light would be opening by the time Pandora opens, but who knows at this point with that (new RoL Made with Magic merch debuted today fwiw). 2017 also see's another new Epcot festival starting in just 12 days and Epcot's 35th anniversary is this year as well. New Scenes from Star Tours for Episode 8 are already announced for later this year, but that's scraping the bottom of the barrel :lol:

When you look at Sea World though, it's a bit sad. Both SW and BGT opened coasters in 2016 and 2017 is leaving us nothing to look forward to at either location.

I think it's pretty clear Uni will steal 2017.

EDIT: Forgot that MK will be TRUMPing up the Hall of Presidents this year, so that will at least be fun to see the reaction of what I expect to be a hot mess and create tension in what is supposed to be a place of fun. :lol:

Last edited:
Not so fast. SeaWorld Orlando actually has a decent amount lined up for 2017:

Kraken VR, new Dolphin nursery, Electric Ocean nighttime event, new show in the Nautilus Theatre, Seven Seas Food Festival, and supposedly more Rudolph.

Not so fast. SeaWorld Orlando actually has a decent amount lined up for 2017:

Kraken VR, new Dolphin nursery, Electric Ocean nighttime event, new show in the Nautilus Theatre, Seven Seas Food Festival, and supposedly more Rudolph.
Now that you lay all of that out there I remember it, but we rarely talk about SW that I forget these little things. Kraken VR is the only thing i'm even remotely excited for though (although I recently did the Freedom Flyer VR and wasn't impressed much).

EDIT: Forgot that MK will be TRUMPing up the Hall of Presidents this year, so that will at least be fun to see the reaction of what I expect to be a hot mess and create tension in what is supposed to be a place of fun. :lol:

I'll boo my f-ing life away. If I bother to enter..

Reactions: Nick
Thanks for the recap. Excited about Fallon and VB quite a bit- and that's just what we know of. I'm curious what little things we'll get that we aren't expecting in the same vein as Hello Kitty/SLOP that surprised us in 2016.

I'll boo my f-ing life away. If I bother to enter..

Eh- half the audience would boo for the winning candidate since HoP opened if everyone had that mentality. Heres hoping you're joking and you don't ruin the experience for the other half of the audience.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Eh- half the audience would boo for the winning candidate since HoP opened if everyone had that mentality. Heres hoping you're joking and you don't ruin the experience for the other half of the audience.

Not joking. :ears:

Yeah this has always been a pet peeve of mine. Even when the booing is for a president I didn't like it still is disrespectful to the show and the audience trying to actually watch an educational attraction. Be the bigger person and if for some reason you can't control your emotions find a different attraction to enjoy!

Yeah this has always been a pet peeve of mine. Even when the booing is for a president I didn't like it still is disrespectful to the show and the audience trying to actually watch an educational attraction. Be the bigger person and if for some reason you can't control your emotions find a different attraction to enjoy!

Well said sir

Reactions: s8film40
I think it's pretty clear Uni will steal 2017.

I think that's considerably less clear! Personally, I'm far more excited for Pandora and Rivers of Light than I am anything Universal has on tap for this year (or next year, to be honest). Though I am visiting in October, and am excited to finally ride Reign of Kong (!), Nintendo is the next thing on the (announced) horizon for Universal that in any way gets me excited.

Reactions: Miketheboss