Universal Orlando 2016 Year in Review | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando 2016 Year in Review

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As for Hall of Presidents, I can't understand the mindset of those who vocally react (either positively or negatively) to the sitting president's AA. I haven't particularly liked any of our most recent presidents (I expect Trump to be no different on that score), but that's not going to stop me from loving the attraction, just as I have since I first experienced it as a kid.

With the new year, I thought it'd be fun to have some general discussion about the state of the resort, looking at what changes 2016 brought and overview what we've got to look forward to in 2017!

-To start, over at Universal Studios Florida, Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue had its last performance on January 5th. This was in the wake of its sister San Francisco attraction, Disaster!, also closing to make way for construction on Fast & Furious: Supercharged, due to open in 2018.
Beetlejuices-Graveyard-Revue-1170x731.jpg

-USF saw a new experience open up in March in the form of Hello Kitty, featuring merchandise and meet-and-greets with the popular Sanrio characters. This replaced the Lucy: A Tribute exhibit.
Hello-Kitty-3.jpg

Universal Orlando revealed a new logo to more closely align with the studio logo that was introduced in 2012.
uorl.png

The King returned to Universal in July with the major new Skull Island: Reign of Kong attraction at Islands of Adventure. Visitors to the mysterious island take a journey where they're attacked by a never-ending assortment of vicious prehistoric monsters, only to be saved by the legend himself, King Kong.
Skull-Island-Reign-of-Kong-Now-Open-4--1170x731.jpg

Also as of July, Universal guests now have a fifth option for onsite themed lodging with the opening of the Caribbean-flavored Sapphire Falls Resort.
Sapphire-Falls-Resort-Now-Open-1170x731.jpg

The Incredible Hulk Coaster reopened at Islands of Adventure after having gone through a complete rebuild for nearly ten months, adding new coaster trains, a redesigned queue, a different storyline, and on-board music.
hulk.jpg

-The whimsical new Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen opened in CityWalk in September (replacing the former NBA City), offering all manner of chocolate-tinged delicacies and treats.
The-Toothsome-Chocolate-Emporium-Exterior-Now-Open.jpg

Reflecting the ever-increasing popularity of Universal Orlando, ticket prices went up twice over the course of the year, including in November when they also started offering tickets for the upcoming Volcano Bay water theme park. In the process of overhauling their ticket products, Universal also started offering a new bottom tier Seasonal Pass that has additional blockout periods, and shiny new plastic annual passes.
Passholders.jpg

Universal's Superstar Parade at USF received the first refresh in its history with the addition of a float based on The Secret Life of Pets.
TheSecretLifeofPets_Resized8-1170x731.jpg

And, finally, Wet 'n Wild had their Last Splash after 39 years of operation, closing their doors forever at 5 PM on December 31st. Wet 'n Wild was considered by many to be the very first modern water park.
wet-n-wild-1170x731.jpg

2016 added a lot, but we've got even more to look forward to in 2017!

Thirteen years after Universal and NBC merged, NBC will finally have a major presence in the parks with the opening of Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon. This Tonight Show-themed attraction will add a wild new ride and the iconic sight of Rockefeller Center to the skyline of New York in Universal Studios.
FEATURED_FALLON-1170x731.jpg

Even more lodging will become available when an expansion opens at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort. The new Bayside and Beachside towers will open in March, offering spectacular views of Volcano Bay.
CBBR-blog-1170x731.jpg

And of course that leads to the big one for 2017, a whole new park, the Volcano Bay water theme park! Poised to raise the water park experience to a whole new level with intricate theming that focuses on fun and relaxation, and innovative features such as the TapuTapu wristband system that will activate effects throughout the park and virtually hold your place in line for you.
Universals-Volcano-Bay-Krakatau.jpg
That was a great post! :cheers:

Who, besides someone with mental issues, would boo an animated figure?

Probably the same people who boo the evil witch or clap when a plane lands.

Reactions: Mr. EPCOT
As for Hall of Presidents, I can't understand the mindset of those who vocally react (either positively or negatively) to the sitting president's AA. I haven't particularly liked any of our most recent presidents (I expect Trump to be no different on that score), but that's not going to stop me from loving the attraction, just as I have since I first experienced it as a kid.
Maybe because this is the election I've been most politically involved in, but this election seems far more charged than usual. I can't imagine Disney wanting to get even a little bit of the hysteria that's been happening.

My belief is that a large protest in MK is one of Disney's all time nightmare scenarios.

Reactions: Frogki and belloq87
Maybe because this is the election I've been most politically involved in, but this election seems far more charged than usual. I can't imagine Disney wanting to get even a little bit of the hysteria that's been happening.

My belief is that a large protest in MK is one of Disney's all time nightmare scenarios.

As long as they're buying tickets to get in :lol:

No denying that. I just think it's kind of distasteful for people to bring their own political baggage (on any side of any issue) into a place - Walt Disney World - that should offer an escape from real world ideological concerns. Nobody's forcing anybody to go into Hall of Presidents. If a person doesn't like the sitting president to such an extent that they'd be unable to remain silent, that person doesn't need to visit the attraction. Or they could just deal with it in an adult manner like plenty of others have done for past presidents they didn't like.

Reactions: Andysol
No denying that. I just think it's kind of distasteful for people to bring their own political baggage (on any side of any issue) into a place - Walt Disney World - that should offer an escape from real world ideological concerns. Nobody's forcing anybody to go into Hall of Presidents. If a person doesn't like the sitting president to such an extent that they'd be unable to remain silent, that person doesn't need to visit the attraction. Or they could just deal with it in an adult manner like plenty of others have done for past presidents they didn't like.
Couldn't agree more! Sadly, it only takes a couple bad apples to spoil it for everyone. There's been a lot of speculation about HoP lately, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

At the least, we can all be positive that Universal is never building a political themed attraction. Ever.

Reactions: belloq87
At the least, we can all be positive that Universal is never building a political themed attraction. Ever.
I'm pretty sure TWDC would prefer that The Hall of Presidents never have been built, too. However, political attractions at Disney parks go all the way back to Walt with Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, of which HoP was derived from. American Adventure is also from a different era.

All three attractions are great, but there's no doubt that political attractions will draw unwanted controversy.

Or clap for a movie. Like it's a projector and a sound system not some live actors.
When people clap for a movie, it's because they appreciated what they saw so much that they felt the need to do so. There's nothing wrong with that, there was actual performances and people behind the scenes that made the movie possible after all.

Now for something to anger someone so much to boo at something that can't respond takes a lot of pent up anger.

Reactions: Andysol
Onward...With Sing proving really really popular at the box office, it will be interesting to see if Universal jumps the gun with another new parade float in 2017. And I would put money on a Sing attraction and/or show within the next couple of years.

This thread did not go in the direction I expected it to... :look:

To get the topic back on track. I'm more pumped for VB than anything else. And not even just this year, I think it's one of the biggest things to happen for years. I know water parks are hit or miss with everybody but I love them.

I'm hoping it's a huge success if even only for the creatives to feel more confident going ahead with non IP attractions.

Reactions: Nico and Mr. EPCOT
To get the topic back on track. I'm more pumped for VB than anything else. And not even just this year, I think it's one of the biggest things to happen for years. I know water parks are hit or miss with everybody but I love them.

I'm hoping it's a huge success if even only for the creatives to feel more confident going ahead with non IP attractions.
Same. While I'm sad that W'n'W has closed, I'm all for new experiences in Orlando. I'm always cautious about boarding the hype train, but Volcano Bay looks like it is going to be something special.

I was wishing they would have a flowrider at VB, but I guess that won't happen...those things are incredibly fun.

Reactions: Scott W.

Volcano Bay is what I am least pumped for as of today. I'm not on the Hype Train. It looks fun though nonetheless.I'm most pumped about Aventura and Furious.

Reactions: Chase3
I would be offended that they get a Donald Trump AA working before the Yeti but.. alas.

Anyway, back to topic. 2017. What a time to be alive.

Reactions: tankart150