Universal Orlando August 1 Press Conference | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando August 1 Press Conference

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot of small things in the difference between the model revealed in 97 for IOA and how IOA looked when it opened 18 months later. IOA is announced in the mid 90s and a lot changed between then and construction starting. Until the infrastructure has a completion date, they're not going to commit to a design. They'll know exactly what's going where but until construction starts, anything can change. Technology can improve, new and better ideas can appear, outside factors like the economy or something that effects whatever the IP for that ride is.

What other parks?

IOA took about 3 years from grading starting and was touted as the most 'technologically advanced' park of all time. Adding on 6 more months isn't really a big deal and when you consider the advancements in theme park design over the last decade, expectations for this park are going to be sky high.

And we know they haven't put in some underground utilities yet? They already have coaster track on site, which was a surprise to me, unless that's for JP. It wouldn't surprise me if some sewer lines were already ran or something. Maybe not.

But, 2023 seems to be PLENTY of time. This isn't Dwarf Hill we're talking about, it's at Universal.

And we know they haven't put in some underground utilities yet? They already have coaster track on site, which was a surprise to me, unless that's for JP. It wouldn't surprise me if some sewer lines were already ran or something. Maybe not.

But, 2023 seems to be PLENTY of time. This isn't Dwarf Hill we're talking about, it's at Universal.
The coaster track there is for Jurassic

Well, I looked over the grading plans and I don’t see any water feature at what I presume is the park entrance. I do see the large pond at the back of house.

Hmmm... not as enthused about this announcement as I might have been and I am not expecting the park will feature any IP or special feature that will flip my switch. But I will wait and watch along with the rest of you. Sorry to sound like the other well known Eeyore’s on here.

I don't know, I'm still hoping on Mordor.

Reactions: ChrisFL
Hello I’m new to the forums what I’m hoping for the August 1st big news announcement is:
KidZone Replacement
T2 Replacement
Super Nintendo Land Orlando what it will look like and what attractions will be their
Jurassic Park themed roller coaster and JW Land Retheme
Fantastic Worlds New Park announcement
Possibly at the very end the rest of Universal Orlando’s expansion plans on that new massive property new hotels, maybe a new water park or fifth theme park if their is room for both.

My earliest date I believe the park would open is fall 2022. That’s if construction kicks into full gear the next couple of months. But 2023 sounds more likely to give enough to time to get everything up and running.

Depends who got invites. If this is just to get online interest going, yeah. But if they are bringing in news media, 20 minutes seems short. Unless it's followed by a trip to the site for the ground breaking.

My earliest date I believe the park would open is fall 2022. That’s if construction kicks into full gear the next couple of months. But 2023 sounds more likely to give enough to time to get everything up and running.
Construction isn't going to kick into full gear the next couple of months.

If the timeline is similar to Beijing, then a 2023 opening will require major vertical construction to begin fall 2020, which is realistic given where they currently stand.

Reactions: allaboutthatchase
Depends who got invites. If this is just to get online interest going, yeah. But if they are bringing in news media, 20 minutes seems short. Unless it's followed by a trip to the site for the ground breaking.
This is my assumption. I think it'll be a photo op in front of the palm tree, as Bill Davis et al pretend to shovel dirt.

To the world this is a massive announcement. To us hardcore followers, probably not much we haven't already heard. I have very high expectations for the park itself, but for this announcement, I'm lowering my expectations.

OK, this is unrealistic and yall will hate me for some of this, but here's my dream:

Universal announces a massive overhaul of OUR. Breakdown of each section below:

IOA:
2020 - Popeye flat ride, replaces Wimpy's (which is never open).
2021 - Massive JW overhaul including JW River Ride, JW Coaster, restaurants/Isla Nu-bar, etc.
--Skull Island becomes a legitimate mini-land by stealing Thunder Falls and the rock-climbing-wall (moved closer to Skull Island ride entrance), which are both completely rethemed for a Skull Island/jungle theme.
2022 - Where's Waldo: Splash - MIB style ride with water guns instead of lasers (splash the Waldo impostors!). - Replaces Toon Lagoon Amphitheater.
Also in 2022 - The Hogsmeade photo-op train is moved right outside the Hogsmeade Station entrance (replaces the trees). Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop replaces old train photo-op spot, and serves hot beverages & baked goods.
2024 - Zelda replaces Lost Continent, including e-ticket at old Sindbad location and overhaul of Poseidon and Mythos.
2025 - Green Eggs and Ham demolished (since it's never open), One Fish Two Fish moved to Green Eggs and Ham spot. Mt. Crumpit built in old One Fish Two Fish spot + land behind it.​

USF:
2019 - Jason Bourne (replaces T2)
2020 - Transformers mini-land takes over the closed smoking section (see smoking ban below). Bumble-Bee tea cup flat ride added (clone from Beijing). Transformers themed drinks/food added (something small, not a full restaurant). Expanded meet and greet section.
2021 - SLoP replaces Shrek. Production Way phased out for Illumination Way. The outdoor stage is used for a Sing show (on non-event days). Monster's Cafe is replaced with an Illumination themed restaurant.
2022 - Night Bus replaces F&F. London overhaul replaces San Fran, including London/potter themed full service restaurant (replaces Lombard's) and quick serve restaurant (replaces Richter)
2024 - Ghost Busters overhaul/retheme of The Mummy.
2025 - Ministry of Magic: London replaces Fear Factor.
2026 - KidZone is still open. :p

Volcano Bay:
2020 - expansion space used for new slides/etc.
At some point in the future - Universal Creative building closed, Creative moved to new Universal HQ (see below), and additional VB expansion is built into this space.​

UOR General Updates:
  • Smoking is banned in all theme parks/water parks. Smoking section kept in CW.
  • Annual Passholder loyalty program added. Earn points for frequent visits, spending money, referring friends, etc. Points redeemable for food/drinks, photos, express passes, etc.
  • A new Universal HQ campus is announced, includes space for Creative, Marketing, executives, HR, etc. Built with the idea of attracting and retaining top talent. Frees up back of house space for potential additional expansion at IOA and USF.

And oh yeah... FW, with all the stuff we know already. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Construction isn't going to kick into full gear the next couple of months.

If the timeline is similar to Beijing, then a 2023 opening will require major vertical construction to begin fall 2020, which is realistic given where they currently stand.
How do you know construction isn’t kicking into full gears soon ? Your speculating just as much as I am.

This is my assumption. I think it'll be a photo op in front of the palm tree, as Bill Davis et al pretend to shovel dirt.

To the world this is a massive announcement. To us hardcore followers, probably not much we haven't already heard. I have very high expectations for the park itself, but for this announcement, I'm lowering my expectations.
I would expect a trip to the palm tree and large blowups of concept art on easels like the old time ground breaking photos show

If anyone is still questioning the 2023 opening, I came across this snippet from the resume of a person working on three confidential attractions scheduled to open in 2023:

3hB37Ff.png

They work for the same company as the person who's resume had all the project numbers (304, 903, 905).

Last edited:
Sure? I would be shocked if we didn’t get *something*, even if it was just an aerial view of Uni South

That's all I'm hoping for. Just give us something to go off of.

If anyone is still questioning the 2023 opening, I came across this snippet from the resume of a person working on three confidential attractions scheduled to open in 2023:

3hB37Ff.png
Holy crap!

3hB37Ff.png

They work for the same company as the person who's resume had all the project numbers (304, 903, 905).
Again, wonderful detective work. Thank you.

I’ve put all my eggs in the 2023 basket and have been saying that year in my videos, so will be glad if it’s that. Some folks have told me 2025 and I’ll be happy if it’s earlier than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.