Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All in favor for a people mover say I . . . . . . I :lol:

knock down dragon challenge and rebuild the roller coaster to take people from IOA to the 3rd gate. Theme the roads below to a quidditch pitch and throw in a few near misses with some cars and were set

How would you move people to and from the resort areas, then? You can't use regular ground transport, because traffic (even on Universal Blvd.) is bad enough at all times that it would require a lot of buses to have a constant, steady flow. You're basically left with some sort of rail option. Monorail is obviously the preferred choice by most park fans, and I think it would also be more space efficient than a regular rail system.

JET PACKS!!!!!

Oh wait, that'd cost MORE than a monorail. LOL! Seriously, I can't see them spending $500 million+ on a transportation system. When Universal had and was starting to develop (or at least clean up) the Lockheed property for new parks/expansions, how were they looking at handling the transportation logistics back then?

Last edited:
All in favor for a people mover say I . . . . . . I :lol:

Didn't Bombardier acquire the WEDWay system, as well? I believe WED built the original Houston airport installation, but after that it didn't get traction anywhere else and it went to Bombardier. I would laugh and cry at the same time if Universal used the system in a manner for which it was really conceived before Disney did.

Looking at a cost for the monorail, there is an additional variation as implemented in Jacksonville. The Jacksonville Skyway is a 2.5 mile monorail that was constructed in the downtown core (in most places runs above the sidewalks). It runs on both sides of the river (crossing it in in the middle of one of the bridges). It is automated so lower costs as no driver is needed for each train. If anyone is around here and has not been on it, it is currently free while they wait for the new turnstiles that link to the new payment card system. It is actually the second generation of the system as the first was not a monorail but when it expanded to cross the river to the South Bank they converted it to one but kept the concrete skirting of the rail to redirect the noise of the electric motors up instead of out and down.

The system is capable of more cars in a train and most stations are equiped to handle more but typically at this point demand has not led to that. They could easily construct a Station in the same area as the current drop off lot with a connection to the parking hub. Here is a pic of it from Wikipedia:
800px-JTA_Skyway_train.jpg

I've been on that thing during the lunch rush, it was me and two other people :lol:

I've been on that thing during the lunch rush, it was me and two other people :lol:

Surprisingly one point there was an hour wait at some stations, of course we were hosting the Superbowl that week. It is getting more riders now since all but one of the apartment buildings and condos built during the boom were all next to or within one block of a Skyway station. It is getting heavy use this week because of the One Spark festival happening downtown from yesterday through sunday.

Surprisingly one point there was an hour wait at some stations, of course we were hosting the Superbowl that week. It is getting more riders now since all but one of the apartment buildings and condos built during the boom were all next to or within one block of a Skyway station. It is getting heavy use this week because of the One Spark festival happening downtown from yesterday through sunday.

Very glad to hear that! I moved from Jacksonville in January 08. Used to do some work in the Bellsouth Tower. Not sure what's it called now though :lol:

Reactions: richjagr
Nay... zip lines!

It works for Seinfeld in Manhattan.

aGhDMUlIcTRCeFUx_o_zip-line-web-extra---2012-acura-nsx-big-game-ad-.jpg

Maybe part of the misconception about Universal being a 1-day park is that both parks are right next to each other and everything is walk-able; it really feels like one big park. Getting a third park and having some form of transportation would definitely help get rid of that misconception. I would love to see a 3rd gate too. Give them some land with the money and knowledge they have now and let them go crazy creating a great park. Plus it would let them keep some of their older attractions around without having to get rid of them for new ones. Good news for T2 and E.T., bad news for Twister (get rid of it already! :fist:) But yes.. I'm all for 3rd gate. The transportation if it is a good distance away is an interesting challenge..

I'm pretty sure the waterpark is slated for existing Uni property near Cabana Bay and isn't part of the massive across I-4 plans

I thought they wanted to have a different water park because of the outrageous price of the leased land Wet'n'Wild is on. So if they do the water park next to Cabana, they could still do other projects across I4 without WnW land. It would be best where they can buy land instead of lease.

I thought they wanted to have a different water park because of the outrageous price of the leased land Wet'n'Wild is on. So if they do the water park next to Cabana, they could still do other projects across I4 without WnW land. It would be best where they can buy land instead of lease.

I'm not saying they shouldn't get rid of WNW. Just trying to figure this out.

Just doing some of my own wishful thinking, but I would love to see Uni buy up all the land surrounding the body of water Wet'N'Wild is on to construct a Fort Wilderness-style resort complex around the lake.

I think the best option would be to have the water park in the plot between CBBR and RPR. It would complete the on-site resort experience. That's one of the best things about UOR, that everything is very near each to other.

I think the best option would be to have the water park in the plot between CBBR and RPR. It would complete the on-site resort experience. That's one of the best things about UOR, that everything is very near each to other.

Well, if they go through with this, that will be shattered. I think it would be cool to pair a new park with the water park and a new resort area. Wish I could be a fly on the walls for these discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.