Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey the 5th gate was just dreaming at this point, but I do not think planning for a 4th gate is that crazy.

The fact that they're thinking about a third gate worries me slightly. A 4th, not counting a water park, would be overkill, IMO.

Disney can't sustain the 4 parks it has in Orlando. That should be example enough for Uni to stay away from it.

With all this great talk about land expansion does anyone know if universal have or are going to update their master plan just curious as the last update was a few years ago correct me if I'm wrong ??

To draw a comparison though, WDW has four parks because at the time, they had a CEO who was passionate (albeit a bit ego driven) about the parks. Comcast is very passionate about their parks right now as well and sees opportunities for expansion. I think we are still a long ways off from Uni being a full resort with a third gate and a REAL universal waterpark (nevermind a fourth gate), but down the line, you never know what could happen eventually.

Yes, I do mean a possible 4th gate maybe 10 years after the 3rd opens. But more so the concept of them planning further ahead so they do not get boxed in again.

Disney may be having problems right now, but the whole vacation industry is in a lull. That will be changing as people start vacationing again, and some more so making up for lost time.

I think that Uni can pwn it with their theme parks! They have never had enough stuff to do IMO, the 2nd gate was a step in the right direction. Still I can do everything I want in both parks in one day depending on the season. Then if you have too much stuff do do in one trip, more people would come back more often. They would not need to replace rides at a faster rate, as it is now they got to take away before they bring new. If they had more to do, they could let rides live longer.

I just see Uni as having a possible broader appeal than Disney, they just do not have the space. With varying and interesting IPs et al.

Disney may be having problems right now, but the whole vacation industry is in a lull. That will be changing as people start vacationing again, and some more so making up for lost time.

Uh, Disney certainly isn't having troubles making money.

It's just that 4 theme parks are a HUGE chore to maintain, take care of, and keep fresh.

Never say never, but I feel the era of large new theme parks is over for the foreseeable future. There's simply not enough demand for another full-fledged park right now. Heck, if you ask the average person outside of Florida if they have been to Islands of Adventure, most people don't even know what it is. That right there is untapped revenue for Universal. Get those people to come visit.

UO is a very well-oiled, functioning, manageable and profitable (!) machine right now. This is what UO has wanted since they opened, and they finally have it.

While full-scale parks may be over, I definitely do see a trend for more smaller, intimate, higher-quality, immersive experiences. People don't want to feel like a part of the general public; they are starting to want more personal, customizable experiences. Imagine if Harry Potter was it's own adventure, with a separate admission, with full immersion by actors, dining experiences, etc -- something like that.

Maybe some sort of experience around food, or fitness... What do you guys think?

You've only got to see the fun spot expansions to see there appetite for more and that's just on a relatively small scale compared to what universal could do

I think saying people don't know what Islands of Adventure, is a reason to not expand. Ask those same people if they know there is a Harry Potter land in Universal and I think 75% of them would say yes. Islands of Adventure as a name is not well known, but what is in there is. Even after people visit this may still be the case. you would be amazed at what people forget when it comes to names. Heck we were all talking about the waffle sandwich place in MK and someone had to point out to us the name. So we had all been there probably a dozen times or more, yet couldn't remember the name. And we are seasoned theme park travelers. Think of the average guest that comes once every couple years to Orlando. My one nurses husband couldn't answer the question of where the monorail went, he said AK :) He has been to all the parks several times.

*IF* Uni truly wants to compete with Disney and they have the goals in attendance numbers, they NEED more hotels, more shopping, and more things to do ON PROPERTY. So I think a third gate is logical. Now I was saying I don't think it will happen because of land. But if they buy land further away and build a monorail type transportation system, it could work. But that is a TON of money and I am not sure if they could really pull that off. Time will tell. But they need more if they want the numbers Disney has, there is no doubt about it. Their parks can easily be done in three days max. Heck two days really. So they need more to attract people to stay longer on property. A water park would be a good start as that would add another day to people's vacations. More hotels to get more guests staying on property would also be a good start. Then add more unique shopping. Finally, add the third gate and then more hotels. If they can do all this and find a way to connect it all together, they could start to really hit Disney and I don't think Disney can really hit back enough to stop it or turn it around.

I think saying people don't know what Islands of Adventure, is a reason to not expand. Ask those same people if they know there is a Harry Potter land in Universal and I think 75% of them would say yes. Islands of Adventure as a name is not well known, but what is in there is. Even after people visit this may still be the case. you would be amazed at what people forget when it comes to names. Heck we were all talking about the waffle sandwich place in MK and someone had to point out to us the name. So we had all been there probably a dozen times or more, yet couldn't remember the name. And we are seasoned theme park travelers. Think of the average guest that comes once every couple years to Orlando. My one nurses husband couldn't answer the question of where the monorail went, he said AK :) He has been to all the parks several times.

*IF* Uni truly wants to compete with Disney and they have the goals in attendance numbers, they NEED more hotels, more shopping, and more things to do ON PROPERTY. So I think a third gate is logical. Now I was saying I don't think it will happen because of land. But if they buy land further away and build a monorail type transportation system, it could work. But that is a TON of money and I am not sure if they could really pull that off. Time will tell. But they need more if they want the numbers Disney has, there is no doubt about it. Their parks can easily be done in three days max. Heck two days really. So they need more to attract people to stay longer on property. A water park would be a good start as that would add another day to people's vacations. More hotels to get more guests staying on property would also be a good start. Then add more unique shopping. Finally, add the third gate and then more hotels. If they can do all this and find a way to connect it all together, they could start to really hit Disney and I don't think Disney can really hit back enough to stop it or turn it around.

I believe you mean "I don't think", and that I would have to agree with. Uni does have an opportunity here to be better known as the place to go for more people.

I did have the privileged of traveling around the US with work not too long ago. Everywhere I went I would ask people about the parks here in FL (as many of them thought that was all we had here). Most people I had asked had been to Disney and Uni, and there were many discrepancies in their memories...

-Some did not know they went do Uni, but their favorite attractions were from Uni.
-Some did know they went to both but their favorite rides were mismatched from the parks that they said they were. IE fav Disney ride was Hulk lol and IDK why they thought Universal had rides based on Disney movies.
-Some people call the whole area and everything to do there Disney... I guess Disney's Islands of Adventure, Disney's Universal Studios lol Like when you order a Coke and they bring out a Pepsi and do not understand what the problem is, just tell me first so I can order Mountain Dew instead.
-For some when I asked about IoA they said they did not go go Busch Gardens.
-Most did not know the number of parks at Disney.
-Most couldn't name one of the parks at Disney... unless you count "Walt Disney World".
-Disney has a bunch of onsite hotels, but Universal has none.

There was much more but those stand out the most, and I am talking about people that have been there. On of the most common thoughts about the parks is that Disney has a full week of attractions, but Universal only has one days worth.

I personally, as an adult, like the rides much much better at Universal...but there is something about that immersive Disney experience that makes you feel like a kid again (and I don't even like the parks that much) and it's something you want ur kids to experience...it will take a lot for UNI to get even close to that experience..,but we will all be better off the harder they try :)

I believe you mean "I don't think", and that I would have to agree with. Uni does have an opportunity here to be better known as the place to go for more people.

I did have the privileged of traveling around the US with work not too long ago. Everywhere I went I would ask people about the parks here in FL (as many of them thought that was all we had here). Most people I had asked had been to Disney and Uni, and there were many discrepancies in their memories...

-Some did not know they went do Uni, but their favorite attractions were from Uni.
-Some did know they went to both but their favorite rides were mismatched from the parks that they said they were. IE fav Disney ride was Hulk lol and IDK why they thought Universal had rides based on Disney movies.
-Some people call the whole area and everything to do there Disney... I guess Disney's Islands of Adventure, Disney's Universal Studios lol Like when you order a Coke and they bring out a Pepsi and do not understand what the problem is, just tell me first so I can order Mountain Dew instead.
-For some when I asked about IoA they said they did not go go Busch Gardens.
-Most did not know the number of parks at Disney.
-Most couldn't name one of the parks at Disney... unless you count "Walt Disney World".
-Disney has a bunch of onsite hotels, but Universal has none.

There was much more but those stand out the most, and I am talking about people that have been there. On of the most common thoughts about the parks is that Disney has a full week of attractions, but Universal only has one days worth.

your last line is why i think Uni needs either a water park onsite or a third gate to give people a reason to stay longer

If universal were to consider adding a third gate I would like them to consider having more original attractions that are not all based on movie or comics. I know these franchises are all so profitable but surely they would need to do something different if a third gate were to work.
It wouldn't have to have an overall theme per say but maybe a section devoted to secret government experiments, another medieval or ancient Rome based land just anything for something a bit different. Would love to see a haunted section too with a classic haunted house dark ride experience. These ideas may not necessarily bring in the profits with merchandise, so they could have a land based on classic games from the super Nintendo, sega or n64, though I think that's may just be me that would love this!

I personally, as an adult, like the rides much much better at Universal...but there is something about that immersive Disney experience that makes you feel like a kid again (and I don't even like the parks that much) and it's something you want ur kids to experience...it will take a lot for UNI to get even close to that experience..,but we will all be better off the harder they try :)

Well it is a part of the American Dream to visit Disney World at least once in your life. That would be a hard battle to win. But they don't need to win to get people to get more visitors. Like I said I don't think it is crazy for them to move the water park onsite AND get a 3rd gate. Make it a place where people can stay longer and have a good time.

Many people come from all over the country annual, or every two or three years. Many think of Disney as the main attraction and Uni as the possible add-on. But there are others that get sick of Disney, and don't think Uni has enough to offer to merit a whole vacation. There is often the time in a kids mind when they decide they are too grown up for Disney, and want to do Uni. For every person there is a reason to choose one park over the other.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm just glad to see everyone engaged in conversation, outside of the "regulars"

I'm drawing a blank on how to find lease details on the tenants for the buildings on Major Blvd. with obvious ones (Major Plaza offices, the strip with Golden Corral). If anyone has a suggestion or can pull up the info faster, please tell. Otherwise, land use codes will be put into the list on page 7 over the next hour or two.

I'm drawing a blank on how to find lease details on the tenants for the buildings on Major Blvd. with obvious ones (Major Plaza offices, the strip with Golden Corral). If anyone has a suggestion or can pull up the info faster, please tell. Otherwise, land use codes will be put into the list on page 7 over the next hour or two.

That would be a tough one, the lease agreement of private property would not be in public record. Often when a business leases an empty lot to build a store/hotel/etc. they would do a 99 year lease, but that is not always the case. Then in the contract there could be listed what would be involved in either party wanting to terminate the lease agreement.

Last edited:
That would be a tough one, the lease agreement of private property would not be in public record. Often when a business leases an empty lot to build a store/hotel/etc. they would do a 99 year lease, but that is not always the case.

How easy are leases to break on the landlords side? Lets say Univ throws around wads of cash and says break your lease and we will make it rain money! Theres got to be some tenant rights so they cant just break the lease right?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know about anyone else but I'm just glad to see everyone engaged in conversation, outside of the "regulars"

Ive noticed a lot of new names flying around the forums and its good to see.

How easy are leases to break on the landlords side? Lets say Univ throws around wads of cash and says break your lease and we will make it rain money! Theres got to be some tenant rights so they cant just break the lease right?

Ah, it looks like I edited my previous post at the same time as you posted.

It may or may not be an option, all depending on the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.