Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 202 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody else think that Universal is expanding too rapidly? They just added Sapphire Falls, they're completing two new towers at Cabana Bay, and about to break ground at Aventura. On top of all that they are about to open a new waterpark. Now they are talking about a new massive resort complex across the street at the old WnW site. If the economy takes a dive (knock on wood) they could find themselves in quite the pickle, especially since they keep raising their ticket prices.

Does anybody else think that Universal is expanding too rapidly? They just added Sapphire Falls, they're completing two new towers at Cabana Bay, and about to break ground at Aventura. On top of all that they are about to open a new waterpark. Now they are talking about a new massive resort complex across the street at the old WnW site. If the economy takes a dive (knock on wood) they could find themselves in quite the pickle, especially since they keep raising their ticket prices.

Is Universal Moving too Fast? | Orlando United Forums

Forgive me for getting too economical, but the answer is somewhere in the middle. Rapid growth does increase risk exponentially, but tourism in Orlando is an anomaly. In addition, Universal is hitting it out of the park revenue wise and it's smarter to strike while the iron is hot (and Daddy Comcast has his wallet open) and keep the surge on your side.

Also, costs for construction are not going down. It would take a massive recession to cut prices and that would also hurt Universal's negotiating power on price, so again, risk. And history shows Orlando is one of the last to go in and first to come out of recessions due to people seeing vacations as a way to get away from the bad news of a bad economy. the recession hit Orlando much shorter than the rest of the world.

TL;DR = The market factors for Universal are hot right now and you don't stop cranking down on the slot machine when you are on top and keep hitting triple cherries. A bust is a bust, but you leave with more than you started.

Forgive me for getting too economical, but the answer is somewhere in the middle. Rapid growth does increase risk exponentially, but tourism in Orlando is an anomaly. In addition, Universal is hitting it out of the park revenue wise and it's smarter to strike while the iron is hot (and Daddy Comcast has his wallet open) and keep the surge on your side.

Also, costs for construction are not going down. It would take a massive recession to cut prices and that would also hurt Universal's negotiating power on price, so again, risk. And history shows Orlando is one of the last to go in and first to come out of recessions due to people seeing vacations as a way to get away from the bad news of a bad economy. the recession hit Orlando much shorter than the rest of the world.

TL;DR = The market factors for Universal are hot right now and you don't stop cranking down on the slot machine when you are on top and keep hitting triple cherries. A bust is a bust, but you leave with more than you started.
I completely agree with your evaluation. And, it all comes back to Comcast being an extremely aggressive company. That's their MO. They don't ever put the gear into neutral.

I completely agree with your evaluation. And, it all comes back to Comcast being an extremely aggressive company. That's their MO. They don't ever put the gear into neutral.
Comcast is well insulated from changes in the economy and they see the theme park business as high growth and a good return on investment. They can afford to be very aggressive at this point.

I think the other big factor in addition to the economics and the tourism economy regarding aggressive expansion is the competition. Disney has been in quite a creative slump for the past decade and it's starting to catch up with them. They've been coasting along on the notion that everyone HAS to go to WDW so why bother keeping things fresh. There's a window of opportunity right now for Universal to put themselves on at least the same level as WDW. To do this they need a resort that has enough to offer for a similar length of stay as WDW currently does. 3+ theme parks, a water park or possibly two, a dining/shopping area and a large variety of hotels with about 10k - 20k rooms is a solid step in that direction. SW land is coming as well as the 50th anniversary so Disney could see a turning point soon and that window could close. Now is the time, and every month that ticks by could make a huge difference.

The people who owned the land next to the newly acquired land didn't want Universal to build their 3rd gate there so Universal pulled the old switcharoo and called VB their 3rd theme park allowing them to build their 4th theme park at the new land no problem.

Reactions: Joel
I know we're still a fair way off knowing things for sure but when are we thinking we'll see this 4th gate break ground? Are we expecting anything to happen by the end of the year? Who's taking bets? :)

Edit: I know in the grand scheme of things, they've only owned that land just over a year and they have a lot to do before they can break ground but genuinely curious as to what we can expect, especially now we know Dry N Tame hotel's are going to be a midway point between the 2 resorts.

I know we're still a fair way off knowing things for sure but when are we thinking we'll see this 4th gate break ground? Are we expecting anything to happen by the end of the year? Who's taking bets? :)

Edit: I know in the grand scheme of things, they've only owned that land just over a year and they have a lot to do before they can break ground but genuinely curious as to what we can expect, especially now we know Dry N Tame hotel's are going to be a midway point between the 2 resorts.
Just to keep things going, I'll offer my bet, just a guess though, and not based on any inside information, just what I can observe.......First of all, a qualifying statement. The amount of Orlando area vendors/construction companies/etc. required to pull off all of the imminent Universal & Disney expansions are going to tax the area's resources. There may well be some juggling of plans & schedules by both companies to adapt to those realities....... Universal is going to be working on finishing F&F, Adventura, and starting Nintendo, HP expansion, Wet & Wild plot hotels/entertainment, and whatever else is up their sleeve, simultaneously. Like, a big WOW just for that......UC has evidently been putting together their fourth park/expansion area hotels/second CityWalk district plans, amalgamating what they were first thinking of with the new IP's available to them due to the DreamWorks purchase last summer. I would imagine those plans are close to, if not already at, their finalization stage just waiting for Comcast approval. And then there's the transportation situation, that will link the present area to the expansion area, via Universal Blvd. I would think there's been behind the scene discussions with city & county officials regarding the transportation plan, whatever that may be......My guess is that site preparation will start at the end of this year and continue through 2018. Fourth Park/initial Hotel Resorts/Second City Walk/Transportation/Parking Garage to begin sometime in 2019 and be ready to open in 2022 or 2023. :)

Just to keep things going, I'll offer my bet, just a guess though, and not based on any inside information, just what I can observe.......First of all, a qualifying statement. The amount of Orlando area vendors/construction companies/etc. required to pull off all of the imminent Universal & Disney expansions are going to tax the area's resources. There may well be some juggling of plans & schedules by both companies to adapt to those realities....... Universal is going to be working on finishing F&F, Adventura, and starting Nintendo, HP expansion, Wet & Wild plot hotels/entertainment, and whatever else is up their sleeve, simultaneously. Like, a big WOW just for that......UC has evidently been putting together their fourth park/expansion area hotels/second CityWalk district plans, amalgamating what they were first thinking of with the new IP's available to them due to the DreamWorks purchase last summer. I would imagine those plans are close to, if not already at, their finalization stage just waiting for Comcast approval. And then there's the transportation situation, that will link the present area to the expansion area, via Universal Blvd. I would think there's been behind the scene discussions with city & county officials regarding the transportation plan, whatever that may be......My guess is that site preparation will start at the end of this year and continue through 2018. Fourth Park/initial Hotel Resorts/Second City Walk/Transportation/Parking Garage to begin sometime in 2019 and be ready to open in 2022 or 2023. :)

:thumbsup: Nice one, but you missed out when you think they'll make an announcement :) I agree, the amount of work they have on their plate is staggering and I'm keen to see how they handle transportation. With an extra 4000 'on-site' rooms and Aventura the existing parking garage's just aren't going to cut it with a new park. Reading the JayBangs book was a great insight into how the timeline unfolded for USF back in the late 80's so it will be interesting to see how this plays out (although I'm sure we won't find out all the ins and outs unless Tom Williams fancies writing a book)

I want them to go head to head with WDW 50th but I think that's going to come just too soon.

Reactions: Mad Dog
:thumbsup: Nice one, but you missed out when you think they'll make an announcement :) I agree, the amount of work they have on their plate is staggering and I'm keen to see how they handle transportation. With an extra 4000 'on-site' rooms and Aventura the existing parking garage's just aren't going to cut it with a new park. Reading the JayBangs book was a great insight into how the timeline unfolded for USF back in the late 80's so it will be interesting to see how this plays out (although I'm sure we won't find out all the ins and outs unless Tom Williams fancies writing a book)

I want them to go head to head with WDW 50th but I think that's going to come just too soon.
The hardest, and probably nearly impossible, guess is when Universal will make announcements. They're all over the place on those. Absolutely no guess on that from me.:lol:...Good to hear you read the Jay Bangs book. You now probably have a better understanding how Universal thinks & operates than the vast majority of theme park followers. Genneway's Universal book that preceeded the Jay Stein book, is also a great source of information & understanding. Additionally, if you study Comcast's corporate history (I've followed them since they were just a small regional cable operator), you will understand how opposite their corporate philosophy is from Disney's. They only know one speed, "full steam ahead", which really is a nice fit with the MCA/Universal philosophy of the Lew Wasserman era.

Status
Not open for further replies.