Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern with Cedar Fair buying these parks is their treatment of Knott's Berry Farm when they bought out the family. The family was concerned that the park would lose the character and history that it had if they sold it to Disney and then Cedar Fair ripped out just about everything to put in megacoasters. If Cedar Fair picked up either of these parks, I think you'd see them gutted before long.

Of course there would be a draw, but part of it's appeal is definitely it's location. Magic Mountain has more roller coasters, many of them just as good as what Cedar Point has to offer, but it pulls less people.. Maybe read posts a little more carefully :thumbs:

Yeah Disney wouldn't pull over 15 million people to both its Magic Kingdoms if they weren't located in Central Florida or Southern California :lol: just a matter of location... and Six Flags would only work in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami since everyone else would go to Busch or Uni for thrills. Can't see them setting up shop anywhere in Florida but Southern Florida

My concern with Cedar Fair buying these parks is their treatment of Knott's Berry Farm when they bought out the family. The family was concerned that the park would lose the character and history that it had if they sold it to Disney and then Cedar Fair ripped out just about everything to put in megacoasters. If Cedar Fair picked up either of these parks, I think you'd see them gutted before long.

Matt Ouimet takes care of this concern I think. While far from perfect, Knotts has done a good job restoring some of its classic attractions (Ghost Town and the Log Ride) and putting forth some effort in theming (the new Boardwalk area is nice). Ouimet understands the value of aesthetics and nostalgia better than Kinzel, and I feel like he would recognize the need to leave Busch Gardens alone if they ended up taking it over.

That being said, theres no reason for Cedar Fair to buy these parks...the SeaWorld parks do better on average than Cedar Fair

I know I'll get stoned for this, but the only rides I feel are worth saving from Busch (since Gwazi is a nogo) are Cheetah Hunt, Montu, and MAYBE Sheikra. (I know, I know, I "forgot" Kumba... or I just consider it a rough headbanger. Meh.)

Without the launch that's all the Hulk is

Of course there would be a draw, but part of it's appeal is definitely it's location. Magic Mountain has more roller coasters, many of them just as good as what Cedar Point has to offer, but it pulls less people.. Maybe read posts a little more carefully :thumbs:

Only have more now because they got rid of one coaster lol But Cedar Point is a better park overall. And I read it fine I just couldn't fathom somebody would put no draw in the same sentence with Cedar Point haha

Dudley is the best water log ride in Orlando. Hands down.

I agree. Now I thought that Dudley was rushed to be opened for 1999. Not because of budget cuts. And wasn't Toon Lagoon one of the last islands done, because they had a hard time getting characters to fill the land with?

Splash beats Dudley in theming, but I like Dudley for its drops and it's inside gags here and there. I am a big fan of classic cartoons after all.

As much as I would love to talk more about water rides, there are threads for that, Cedar Fair, and BGT. So........
:focus:

Only have more now because they got rid of one coaster lol But Cedar Point is a better park overall. And I read it fine I just couldn't fathom somebody would put no draw in the same sentence with Cedar Point haha

Actually you're wrong. Cedar Point has 16 coasters, and Magic Mountain has 18. I've been to both and I can honestly say Cedar Point has more smaller rides but Magic Mountains coaster collection is better. Cedar Point has about 7 good coasters out of its 16, whereas Magic Mountain has about 9 or 10.

Cedar Point wouldn't be anything in Florida but another thrill park. Personally I enjoyed Kings Island more than Cedar Point.(though I absolutely love Millennium Force and Maverick).

Universal can do thrills, but they can also do theme. I hope their 3rd park does a good job meshing all of that stuff.

Could you guys imagine if Universal built a 3rd gate that was just as amazing done at Disney Sea. I mean I love IOA to pieces but from what everyone says TDS is just in a league by itself so it would be such a game changer if the 3rd gate was something comparable and well within Universal limits of building

cedar point is one of the great parks in the world....it draws about 3.5 million in about 140 days of operation..totally world class park to call it anything else would be false

cedar point is one of the great parks in the world....it draws about 3.5 million in about 140 days of operation..totally world class park to call it anything else would be false

Ive been to Six Flag Great Adventure and I wouldn't exactly call that a world class park. Is there a big difference between that park and Cedar Point?

Actually you're wrong. Cedar Point has 16 coasters, and Magic Mountain has 18. I've been to both and I can honestly say Cedar Point has more smaller rides but Magic Mountains coaster collection is better. Cedar Point has about 7 good coasters out of its 16, whereas Magic Mountain has about 9 or 10.

Cedar Point wouldn't be anything in Florida but another thrill park. Personally I enjoyed Kings Island more than Cedar Point.(though I absolutely love Millennium Force and Maverick).

Universal can do thrills, but they can also do theme. I hope their 3rd park does a good job meshing all of that stuff.

I disagree with everything you just said lol Cedar Point has always been known as the Rollercoaster Capital of the World and The Gran daddy of all theme parks.

Last edited:
Ive been to Six Flag Great Adventure and I wouldn't exactly call that a world class park. Is there a big difference between that park and Cedar Point?

Well, Cedar Point has a long history and many of its rides are very high profile. There isn't too much 'filler' there (no boomerang coasters or wild mouse rides)...every ride has a history and most of it is well-documented which makes it famous.

However, I believe that if you stripped Cedar Point of that and its beautiful location along the peninsula at Lake Erie it would not have the same draw. Yes, Millennium Force is still the best roller coaster in the world, with Maverick and Dragster coming up closely behind it, but Nitro, Kingda Ka, and El Torro are also fantastic--the problem is New Jersey isn't quite as glamorous as Lake Erie (although Sandusky is disgusting hahaha).

I love Cedar Point to death but that's because we book a lake-view hotel room and enjoy riding the rides that have been around for so long (Magnum is one of my all time favorites). If you built Cedar Point today, identical down to the very last brick and bolt, and put it in Jackson NJ or Valencia CA, or somewhere somewhat bleh, it would not have the same draw, I'm almost positive. And it especially wouldn't survive in Orlando.

Ive been to both and I wouldn't call either. World class thrills? Of course. But there's more to a park than that. Knoebels in Pennsylvania has some of the best food you'll find at a park in the country, doesn't mean the park is one of the best.

You can build the rollercoasters as tall and fast as you want, but that won't put you on par with Universal and Disney. They offer a complete experience.

Well, Cedar Point has a long history and many of its rides are very high profile. There isn't too much 'filler' there (no boomerang coasters or wild mouse rides)...every ride has a history and most of it is well-documented which makes it famous.

However, I believe that if you stripped Cedar Point of that and its beautiful location along the peninsula at Lake Erie it would not have the same draw. Yes, Millennium Force is still the best roller coaster in the world, with Maverick and Dragster coming up closely behind it, but Nitro, Kingda Ka, and El Torro are also fantastic--the problem is New Jersey isn't quite as glamorous as Lake Erie (although Sandusky is disgusting hahaha).

I love Cedar Point to death but that's because we book a lake-view hotel room and enjoy riding the rides that have been around for so long (Magnum is one of my all time favorites). If you built Cedar Point today, identical down to the very last brick and bolt, and put it in Jackson NJ or Valencia CA, or somewhere somewhat bleh, it would not have the same draw, I'm almost positive. And it especially wouldn't survive in Orlando.

Its famous to us enthusiasts but you go up to any average person off the street who isnt an uber fan like us and you ask them if they know what Cedar Point is and i guarantee more of them will have no clue what this versus those who do. Obviously it will be more well know up north but down south here is a different. Now ask anyone on this planet if they know what Disneyworld or land is and you can guess the response you will get, now that is famous.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive been to both and I wouldn't call either. World class thrills? Of course. But there's more to a park than that. Knoebels in Pennsylvania has some of the best food you'll find at a park in the country, doesn't mean the park is one of the best.

You can build the rollercoasters as tall and fast as you want, but that won't put you on par with Universal and Disney. They offer a complete experience.

This right here is what im talking about.

Its famous to us enthusiasts but you go up to any average person off the street who isnt an uber fan like us and you ask them if they know what Cedar Point is and i guarantee more of them will have no clue what this versus those who do. Obviously it will be more well know up north but down south here is a different. Now ask anyone on this planet if they know what Disneyworld or land is and you can guess the response you will get, now that is famous.

Oh definitely...world class to someone in the know is different to the average person...a lot of people probably haven't even heard of Universal (though that's slowly changing). But among the theme park fan community, Cedar Point, I'd argue, is world class because of a lot more things than its coasters, hence my assumption that it would not be successful it was not as old as it is, or in the location that it's in.

Status
Not open for further replies.