Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 222 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Until they get the rest of the land they want, the following is what I see:

-1 very large, very detailed theme park. What was told to me from day one of this land purchase is "They want to outdo DisneySea."
-Another water park
-6-7 resorts
-CityWalk-like area aimed at the convention crowd
-Some sort of transportation between resorts
Nintendo store confirmed for CityWalk 2. Also I think Nintendo should have conventions like Harry Potter does. It would make sense.

Reactions: Joel
I think this is a pretty clear tell on a few things: 1) they're planning a long-term full 2nd resort (up to 3 theme parks - 2 dry/1 water, 15,000 hotel rooms), and 2) Comcast/Universal is going to end up owning that Lockheed plant land if Lockheed ever decides to move on (for a variety of reasons as I point out in the 4th park thread).

Also interesting that this came out a few days before the Universal-Stan Thomas mediation. Universal might be using this 100 acre land purchase as a price setting mechanism for Stan Thomas' land. They can point to this as the market value of the buildable nearby parcels at least.

Either way, 575 acres now, we're getting in range of the land needed for a full 2nd resort.

Reactions: Mad Dog
So after Court November 3rd, NBC Comcast wins, what’s next? Public announcement of a 4th-5th gate? I understand all the underground work, zoning, traffic, etc as I work in Construction myself, but what’s next? And how soon? I wouldn’t even dare to imagine an opening year of 2021... that’s a lot of land, that requires a lot of work.

So after Court November 3rd, NBC Comcast wins, what’s next? Public announcement of a 4th-5th gate? I understand all the underground work, zoning, traffic, etc as I work in Construction myself, but what’s next? And how soon? I wouldn’t even dare to imagine an opening year of 2021... that’s a lot of land, that requires a lot of work.

Don't hold your breath on the public announcement. And I definitely would only expect Park 3 to be announced whenever they make said announcement

I had heard 2022 for Park 3. I don't buy it, at all, but we'll see

I still think 2023 is the earliest we'd actually see the next gate open. The 2 hotel slots (15-20 acres each) on Universal Blvd. closest to the first resort are likely to be completed a year or so before the next park. As for announcements, I don't think there'll be anything soon; they play things close to the vest.

We may not even really know what happens with the mediation for a while..., so it'll just be waiting.

Reactions: Andysol
Until they get the rest of the land they want, the following is what I see:

-1 very large, very detailed theme park. What was told to me from day one of this land purchase is "They want to outdo DisneySea."
-Another water park
-6-7 resorts
-CityWalk-like area aimed at the convention crowd
-Some sort of transportation between resorts
Desperately hope all of this is true. Especially the "better than DisneySea" part. Would love to see them take another crack at a water park, hopefully produce something more like what we were all expecting out of Volcano Bay. And of course I hope we see a monorail traveling up and down Universal Blvd.

Desperately hope all of this is true. Especially the "better than DisneySea" part. Would love to see them take another crack at a water park, hopefully produce something more like what we were all expecting out of Volcano Bay. And of course I hope we see a monorail traveling up and down Universal Blvd.

I'll believe them actually outdoing TDS when I see it, but aiming that high at least means it'll be a great park. VB is the best water park in the city, IMO, so I'd love to see them improve upon it on Site B. I seriously doubt there will be any monorail, even though I know they want one.

Reactions: Mr. EPCOT
Don't hold your breath on the public announcement. And I definitely would only expect Park 3 to be announced whenever they make said announcement
Only reason why I say this is because there’s been speculation on this since 2015, surely planning has been going on for the last 2+ years. As a union Sprinkler Fitter/apprentice I only I hope I get a part of this construction!

This is great news, we are certainly moving in the right direction land wise.

When is the hearing for the other chunk? November isn't it?

I think @Disneyhead hit the nail on the head. It will be a car park for the construction workers and I think this is somewhat telling about the speed they're planning to build this.

You'd imagine they would build the car park first and then work from there but it looks like they will be building the car park, theme park, CityWalk 2.0, infrastructure and probably a hotel or two and 2,451 spaces is a lot of workers.

I think this makes the most sense too, possible delivery/staging area too?

This is great news, we are certainly moving in the right direction land wise.

When is the hearing for the other chunk? November isn't it?
There's a mediation scheduled Nov. 2 between Stan Thomas and Universal re: the court case going on right now.

It's a positive because so far, there's been about a million dollars in legal fees, and the reality is that both sides want to end this case.

The simplest resolution is a transaction of Comcast $ in exchange for Stan Thomas' land, but price is the main issue. This Universal purchase of 100 acres should set a market value/price on the nearby buildable parcels.

Generally, with both parties agreeing to mediation, it's usually an indication that they are close to an agreement. If they weren't talking and close to settlement, the parties just would have waited for next year's originally scheduled hearing.

Reactions: UK-Trigg
Now that they can connect Kirkman, they could possibly have a deal with the city to allow for a bus lane to connect both resorts?

There are already plans in place to extend Kirkman all the way to Destination Parkway. Theres hasn't been a timeline for it, but they have the right of ways already.

Generally, with both parties agreeing to mediation, it's usually an indication that they are close to an agreement. If they weren't talking and close to settlement, the parties just would have waited for next year's originally scheduled hearing.

I'd agree. It's good news.

If Uni gets the rest of this land...wow. They could make the original resort look quaint

Status
Not open for further replies.