Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 228 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you all think getting this expansion land to extend to the Turnpike is a priority? Gotta think easy access to a highway makes that north east property attractive.
o_O What land?

Their most recent land purchase gives them direct access to Sand Lake Rd / Kirkman and within a half mile is both I4 and the Turnpike.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
o_O What land?

Their most recent land purchase gives them direct access to Sand Lake Rd / Kirkman and within a half mile is both I4 and the Turnpike.
Universal Resort Expansion? | Page 224 | Inside Universal Forums

The green/yellow on this image that leads up to the turnpike.

1/2 mile is fine, but Universal has been working the past few years to get easier access from I4 to the resort. Using Sand Lake and Kirkman as entry roads seems far from ideal. I don't really know how much of that north east land is serviceable for construction, and I was mostly spitballing.
XlL4Nkv.jpg

Purple = Universal
Yellow + Baby Blue = Stan Thomas

There's the new land before the Nov. 2 mediation. Lockheed is definitely getting surrounded by the next resort (which makes me think they won't sell their expansion parcel because that would mean they're surrounded on all sides by Universal.

Universal Resort Expansion? | Page 224 | Inside Universal Forums

The green/yellow on this image that leads up to the turnpike.

1/2 mile is fine, but Universal has been working the past few years to get easier access from I4 to the resort. Using Sand Lake and Kirkman as entry roads seems far from ideal. I don't really know how much of that north east land is serviceable for construction, and I was mostly spitballing.
If your talking another exit on the Turnpike going straight into Universal like what they have on I-4, I doubt Turnpike would be willing to do that. They're much stricter on their exits, the spacing, etc. Turnpike has many, many less exits then the rest of the highways in the state.

Reactions: gator
If your talking another exit on the Turnpike going straight into Universal like what they have on I-4, I doubt Turnpike would be willing to do that. They're much stricter on their exits, the spacing, etc. Turnpike has many, many less exits then the rest of the highways in the state.

Interesting! Didn't know that was something they were conscientious of in the turnpike design process. I meant either for a direct entrance to a transportation hub, or an elevated transit system that swings out there that avoids the more direct roads (resulting in a lot less restrictions for construction). Obviously, these are reaches and lofty ideas, but this is what I would be thinking about if I was in Universal's shoes.

Transportation is probably the single most important issue around/between the sites, so I'd imagine that they consider every possibility, no matter how remote.

But realistically, the 2nd resort will open with a bus transportation hub/scheme until there's some kind of rail solution that comes together either from being a part of that OCCC-OIA rail to connect Universal's resorts to each other and 2 major sources of guests, or maybe even just a monorail between the two Universal parks now that the 2nd resort has land on Sand Lake and has multiple possible routes back to the original resort.

I think we'll get something of a reality check on the rail issues when the new WnW land hotels are revealed. It'll be interesting to see if they design those hotels in such a way that a rail solution could also be built onto/through that land later.

Reactions: Nash
Interesting! Didn't know that was something they were conscientious of in the turnpike design process. I meant either for a direct entrance to a transportation hub, or an elevated transit system that swings out there that avoids the more direct roads (resulting in a lot less restrictions for construction). Obviously, these are reaches and lofty ideas, but this is what I would be thinking about if I was in Universal's shoes.

They still like to design based on traffic needs. Sure, Chief Billie hasn’t gotten Turnpike access to south FL’s Hard Rock (which is vissable from the Turnpike, but they are now building this all glass guitar shaped hotel with residencies or time shares or something, so it could change)...but the Hard Rock Stadium has an exit that puts you in the parking lot (he sponsores the stadium but does not own nor run it)....

But in SFL, they do things like Sunpass only exits (at the same time they are now changing everything to pay with Sunpass or get a bill in the mail...no cash lanes anymore type thing...so, it could happen someday depending on traffic studies.

They still like to design based on traffic needs. Sure, Chief Billie hasn’t gotten Turnpike access to south FL’s Hard Rock (which is vissable from the Turnpike, but they are now building this all glass guitar shaped hotel with residencies or time shares or something, so it could change)...but the Hard Rock Stadium has an exit that puts you in the parking lot (he sponsores the stadium but does not own nor run it)....

But in SFL, they do things like Sunpass only exits (at the same time they are now changing everything to pay with Sunpass or get a bill in the mail...no cash lanes anymore type thing...so, it could happen someday depending on traffic studies.
That direct exit to Hard Rock Stadium is not actually from the Turnpike mainline but an alternate route of the Turnpike. It’s actually the only exit for that alt route from what I can tell. The road ends at I-95.

Imagining what the traffic will be like on that road is already giving me a sore head.

Right, that was the thought behind my posts... It would be awful.

Transportation is probably the single most important issue around/between the sites, so I'd imagine that they consider every possibility, no matter how remote.

But realistically, the 2nd resort will open with a bus transportation hub/scheme until there's some kind of rail solution that comes together either from being a part of that OCCC-OIA rail to connect Universal's resorts to each other and 2 major sources of guests, or maybe even just a monorail between the two Universal parks now that the 2nd resort has land on Sand Lake and has multiple possible routes back to the original resort.

I think we'll get something of a reality check on the rail issues when the new WnW land hotels are revealed. It'll be interesting to see if they design those hotels in such a way that a rail solution could also be built onto/through that land later.

Here in TN they are exploring light rail (finally), and most rail infrastructure is easiest around preexisting state and interstate highways. It also avoids making local businesses mad when you add rapid transit that goes by their location without stopping.

I'd be shocked if we will see a Game of Thrones land. But it will have all the ingredients Potter has regarding locations, rides and food opportunities. I envision this:
- Theon Greyjoy wiener cart.
- Joffrey's Wine bar.
- The Red Wedding Restaurant Hall.
- How To Train Your Dragon like Daenerys Targaryen Flight simulator (it has a pre ride shop where you can buy your own Khaleesi wig and an after ride shop where you can buy your plastic puppet dragon).
- To top it of a boat ride trough all the sex scenes telling the whole story of GoT using the Floppy Wiener song from South Park (guess what you can buy in the exit shop).

I think it will be great but probably something that would work better in Europe than in the US. ;)

That direct exit to Hard Rock Stadium is not actually from the Turnpike mainline but an alternate route of the Turnpike. It’s actually the only exit for that alt route from what I can tell. The road ends at I-95.

I thought the exit was before th I-95 exit/end of the line. I thought the alt Turnpike route was if you headed out towards homestead...no biggie, I just thought I recall the turnpike’s toll booth being at the exit for Joe Robbie Stadium (or any of the many names since).

I think their issue with exits being too close is that they have a tough time figuring how to account for the toll to charge...but up in Orlando, they seem to build a lot more toll roads to help move traffic...down here, they have just started adding toll lanes (with surge pricing) to I-95.

Regardless, counties will attempt to plan for traffic flow...but maybe now everyone is just waiting to get humans out of the driving equation so they can just teach the cars how to efficiently move around.

I’m interested to see how how much will be open to the public when they finally start to develop the land. I can see staggered openings but only by a couple of months. I can see a CityWalk opening first followed by a park and then a hotel. I can’t see a hotel opening first because who want to stay there?

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if a hotel opened up first. Within a few miles of this new land there are some hotels that locations are questionable, but because it's Orlando, they work. Most people know Orlando is swampy and don't mind it. This is one of those "Well people won't stay in the hotel room but only to sleep" arguments." I just wouldnt be surprised.

The interesting sidenote related to the possible Stan Thomas transaction is what Universal is looking at in order to free up those wetlands on the East side. At some point, Universal may need its own version of the Disney Wilderness Preserve, so they might need to purchase as much as 1,000-2,000 acres or so elsewhere for wetland restoration as @GadgetGuru pointed out earlier.

Given the development situation around Orlando (population growth is consistently high), they'll need to account for that sooner rather than later like Disney's exchange a couple years ago when they bought Mira Lago's 3,000 acres and exchanged that to free up 575 around the resort.

Universal would want to free up the wetlands between Sand Lake and Destination very quickly I'd imagine since they'd probably include that land in any designs of the early/middle phases of the resort buildout...

Though others have pointed out that it may not be feasible to touch Shingle Creek. Maybe just go right up to it.

As far as I remember, Shingle Creek is untouchable. I wouldn't think it gets touched.

Do you all think getting this expansion land to extend to the Turnpike is a priority? Gotta think easy access to a highway makes that north east property attractive.

The turnpike is owned by FDOT and there are no plans to give the Turnpike and individual exit to Universal on the expansion land. Primarily because Sand Lake Road, John Young Parkway, (Eventually Kirkman) and currently the 528/Beachline is undergoing 'Highway Renovation.' John Young and Sand Lake will be better connected with John Young remaining free flowing. It's going to be like a highway. Sand Lake ROad is getting the necessary improvements from John Young to International (Which includes crossing Universal Blvd). It's going to be easier to flow traffic Eat and West. Universal wins right there automatically. And S.R. 528/Beachline is getting what I-4 is getting. A Toll down the middle of the highway. So that road will flow better and be wider nd already crosses, JYP, Universal Blvd, and International Drive all having entrances and exits which would allow great access to the new land. Lastly there is Kirkman which is supposed to be extended to Destination Parkway or it was proposed at one point, but I don't see that happening still as it was planned. However improvements will follow Sand Lake Roac.

We can forget the Turnpike in any Universal Orlando Expansion situation basically lol.

Within 7 years, I can see rail like transit coming to International drive. That being Said Universal Blvd and Sand Lake Road or Beachline will be Key players in some from of rail transit as well. I look forward to seeing this MAYBE come closer to reality after all of the Road Improvements, so sometime in 2020. If anything happens before, we'll know by December 17' sometimes when the deadline to use 528 right of way for rail expires for American Maglev, which may lead to light rail or trams of some kind .

The Beachline / Bee Line / SR528 will also be a new highway connecting to Universal throughout Universal Blvd.
The 528 isn't a new highway, which I know you know. Not sure what your wordplay is indicating. You mean the new toll within the 528? It already connects Universal Blvd, but that seemingly gets overshadowed by the technical road start of 'Orangewood Blvd'

Status
Not open for further replies.