Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 264 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't he mostly be talking about Olympics? Would be a bit off-topic to talk Resorts when their biggest tv event is going on...

Even if Uni's following the schedule they always have, that's not cutting it. Disney has their entire lineup until 2021 announced, including Tron, Ratatouille, Guardians, Star Wars, and Mickey. Each of these have concept art, are at least beginning construction, and have a general window of when they're coming. All Universal has right now is... "we're building a Harry Potter coaster!" with absolutely no details behind a 2019 opening window. That's a definite problem, and if they don't fix it soon, I could legitimately see it hurting in the long term.

Even if Uni's following the schedule they always have, that's not cutting it. Disney has their entire lineup until 2021 announced, including Tron, Ratatouille, Guardians, Star Wars, and Mickey. Each of these have concept art, are at least beginning construction, and have a general window of when they're coming. All Universal has right now is... "we're building a Harry Potter coaster!" with absolutely no details behind a 2019 opening window. That's a definite problem, and if they don't fix it soon, I could legitimately see it hurting in the long term.

I'm frustrated by the lack of info too but it's not going to hurt them. You can't ride announcements. Nobody books a trip for a ride opening in 2021.

Uni never has really done that before. Diagon was not formerly announced unto they went vertical (even though we were told 'an expansion of the Wizarding World' with no other details. Transformers was announced as they were going vertical. Kong was announced when they started doing rock work.

giphy.gif

All of this is slowed by the two important lawsuits (the Stan Thomas lawsuit and the bankruptcy proceeding).

It sounds like the project that he mentioned as fast tracked is the 101 acres buildout on Sand Lake...

As far as the 2nd resort goes, it still feels like 2023-2025 is the target.

All of this is slowed by the two important lawsuits (the Stan Thomas lawsuit and the bankruptcy proceeding).

It sounds like the project that he mentioned as fast tracked is the 101 acres buildout on Sand Lake...

As far as the 2nd resort goes, it still feels like 2023-2025 is the target.

The "new business" in the theme park sphere is not the 101 acres, but related too.

The "new business" in the theme park sphere is not the 101 acres, but related too.
Ah okay.

It just seems like some things are out of their hands at the moment. Once the lawsuit/bankruptcy lands issues are settled, it sounds like we'll see more movement.

Exactly. That's the support for it. New business means new revenue which means some kind of other gate.
As far as new business goes, I always thought it'd be interesting if Universal expands its relationship with Royal Carribbean to maybe start a new cruise line with Illumination/DreamWorks to target the same demographic as Disney cruises.

Reactions: Scott W. and Teebin
As far as new business goes, I always thought it'd be interesting if Universal expands its relationship with Royal Carribbean to maybe start a new cruise line with Illumination/DreamWorks to target the same demographic as Disney cruises.

A Universal cruise headed to Isla Nublar would be the ultimate Jurassic Park attraction.

I'm frustrated by the lack of info too but it's not going to hurt them. You can't ride announcements. Nobody books a trip for a ride opening in 2021.

I disagree. You think for a second people didn’t start planning a trip for SWL?

Or that TDL and USJ didn’t announce their 2020 projects for the olympics?

People absolutely plan- maybe not “book”- but earmark it for sure.

Reactions: fryoj and Ashhanbre
I disagree. You think for a second people didn’t start planning a trip for SWL?

Or that TDL and USJ didn’t announce their 2020 projects for the olympics?

People absolutely plan- maybe not “book”- but earmark it for sure.

I agree. I think a lot of people will skip this year and the great thing about Orlando is that if you skip a year, you’ll have even more new rides to experience.

Speaking from a Brits POV, for a lot of people, a trip to Orlando is a huge deal and can take years of planning and saving.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
I agree. I think a lot of people will skip this year and the great thing about Orlando is that if you skip a year, you’ll have even more new rides to experience.

Speaking from a Brits POV, for a lot of people, a trip to Orlando is a huge deal and can take years of planning and saving.

Right. And for clarification, I'm not talking about something like the new lagoon show, T2, F&F, Mickey Runaway, GotG, TSL, or even Avatar. But things like SWL, Potter and SNW? Certainly.

Reactions: fryoj and Ashhanbre
A lot of people are already planning/saving for their 2019 trip because of Star Wars. Universal needs to give those same people a reason to also stop at Universal on that trip.

Reactions: Doug A.
Status
Not open for further replies.