Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 302 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've speculated that Toon Lagoon Theater and bottom half of Toon Lagoon goes to Pokemon. Two water rides remain Toon Lagoon, (since that's the only decent part of the land anyway.) Stage is demolished, plus exterior Spider-Man queue, for new E-Ticket ride. Shops and quick service rethemed to Pokemon city.

Just what I would do anyway.
TL ACRE 2.JPG

Reactions: jseal777 and Alicia
Tomorrow is the first big day in the Stan Thomas lawsuit:
At 11:00 there is a hearing to finish clearing up assertions of privilege over documents relevant to the case.
At 1:30 is the hearing on both motions for summary judgement where the judge could issue a final ruling on the case.

Hopefully we will have some more exciting news to talk about very soon.
EDIT: There also might not be a ruling tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the first big day in the Stan Thomas lawsuit:
At 11:00 there is a hearing to finish clearing up assertions of privilege over documents relevant to the case.
At 1:30 is the hearing on both motions for summary judgement where the judge could issue a final ruling on the case.

Hopefully we will have some more exciting news to talk about very soon.
EDIT: There also might not be a ruling tomorrow.

If they issue a warning, I'd scream. But it probably won't happen that soon.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Is there any chance that we could get some spicy new info tomorrow? Just curious.

Doubtful. Even if it's a summary judgement for Universal, there likely will be a negotiation process where they try to buy the land Thomas owns. Or, more likely, they will wait till the May 10th foreclosure hearing till they do anything to see how much more leverage they have. Not to mention, and I don't know if it applies to this type of case, there could be appeals.

So any announcement tomorrow would be a shock.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Shanghai Disney costed about 5 billion, and that Universal Beijing is tracking to be around 3-4 billion.

If I am willing to guess, the starting price will be around 4.7 Billion with one park, transportation/infrastructure, a new entertainment complex, and two to three hotels at the start.
Main thing I need to correct here is that Beijing's budget got massively expanded. The Beijing City Government doesn't want the USB complex to be overshadowed by Shanghai's Disney is probably the logic behind the financial boost, but whatever the case, it's going to be far more expensive than initial estimates.

Current estimates for Beijing are $7.4 billion for Phase 1 (main park, CityWalk, 2 hotels) and another $7.4 billion for the remainder. The total credit line for all of the 1000 acre Beijing complex is around $15 billion now (and could be expanded later if costs go up).

Main thing I need to correct here is that Beijing's budget got massively expanded. The Beijing City Government doesn't want the USB complex to be overshadowed by Shanghai's Disney is probably the logic behind the financial boost, but whatever the case, it's going to be far more expensive than initial estimates.

Current estimates for Beijing are $7.4 billion for Phase 1 (main park, CityWalk, 2 hotels) and another $7.4 billion for the remainder. The total credit line for all of the 1000 acre Beijing complex is around $15 billion now (and could be expanded later if costs go up).
Yes, this will be big. In reality, even though the local government is involved, it's the showcase for the Central Committee. China has changed a lot in the last few years and has become more politically aligned with it's previous political thought processes, to put it mildly. This will be used as a major propaganda tool. Shanghai was conceived under different circumstances and a different business/government atmosphere. This will certainly be more significant in the realm of things than Shanghai.

That's not a bad thing at all for Universal.

I would assume that'd mean more heavy Chinese influences than just Great Wall, and that it makes me curious for attractions.

Its not like China is lacking in stories but I"m like 88% certain there will be a Journey to the West attraction (one of the greatest classics not known by most in the western world) and Legend of the Condors attraction (Chinese Lord of the Rings). I'm also pretty sure they would be the strongest attractions and the ones that like Mystic Manor which theme park fans wish were state side.

That's not a bad thing at all for Universal.
Yeah. It's their money in a large sense; the Big 4 Chinese banks have extended the credit lines, and the Joint Venture (majority owned by the Chinese groups) is going to be guaranteeing the debt, so it won't appear on Comcast's balance sheet.

That's as much of a win-win as Universal could possibly have; an unlimited budget with no downside.

Yeah. It's their money in a large sense; the Big 4 Chinese banks have extended the credit lines, and the Joint Venture (majority owned by the Chinese groups) is going to be guaranteeing the debt, so it won't appear on Comcast's balance sheet.

That's as much of a win-win as Universal could possibly have; an unlimited budget with no downside.

That's also the downside...creating a park with no budget will make Beijing Universal's flagship park and unless Comcast will front the money...no future expansion can come close.

That's also the downside...creating a park with no budget will make Beijing Universal's flagship park and unless Comcast will front the money...no future expansion can come close.

Yeah, but only .000000000001% of the people will ever go to both parks. Even if its absolutely phenomenal, it'll be a DisneySea situation at best where only enthusiasts here will know it exists. It's not like there will be people walking around the US parks saying this is such a disappointment compared to Beijing.

If anything, this a good thing for the US parks as they have someone else paying for the R&D and designs for new rides. If they have to drop $100 million(random number) into designing some new tech for a ride like JW Gyros, by putting it in Beijing first, they can have the Chinese pay for that whole part of it. That way when it comes time to build it here, it cuts that cost out of the budget. This works even if they use new tech for a Chinese IP that will never come here. Use high end tech that they have patents for here. Build it there to get the costs out of the way and work out the kinks, then use the tech for an IP that fits better here.

I don't see a downside to this.

Yeah, but only .000000000001% of the people will ever go to both parks. Even if its absolutely phenomenal, it'll be a DisneySea situation at best where only enthusiasts here will know it exists. It's not like there will be people walking around the US parks saying this is such a disappointment compared to Beijing.

If anything, this a good thing for the US parks as they have someone else paying for the R&D and designs for new rides. If they have to drop $100 million(random number) into designing some new tech for a ride like JW Gyros, by putting it in Beijing first, they can have the Chinese pay for that whole part of it. That way when it comes time to build it here, it cuts that cost out of the budget. This works even if they use new tech for a Chinese IP that will never come here. Use high end tech that they have patents for here. Build it there to get the costs out of the way and work out the kinks, then use the tech for an IP that fits better here.

I don't see a downside to this.

The olympics take place in Beijing in 2022. This has the backing of the party. NBC is broadcasting the Olympics in Beijing. Trust me, Universal and the Chinese government will advertise the heck out of the park and everyone will know of its existence

Yikes this gets me so excited.

Reactions: Joel
Status
Not open for further replies.