Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 313 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested to see if UOR will try to get some sort of transportation option between resorts approved as an option aside from buses. They'd need to get approval to use the airspace which is the issue.

Also, the UOR bus pick up/drop off is already way too small and this is before the two hotels at WnW open and then presumably 3-4 hotels open at the new site which will end up being bused over. They are going to need to figure out how to handle that situation, but it's tricky as they have little land to play with in that spot.
Is an elevated "monorail" type system a possibility? I'm envisioning a loop linking the whole shebang. I4 being the biggest hurdle? No pun intended:rimshot:

Yesterland.com: Million Dollar-per-Mile Monorail?

Last edited:
Is an elevated "monorail" type system a possibility? I'm envisioning a loop linking the whole shebang. I4 being the biggest hurdle? No pun intended:rimshot:

if they did a monorail that would go into themed tunnels (somewhat like the peoplemover but different themes) where you got sneak peaks of attractions, oh boy oh boy I'd scream. They could do a warp pipe actually right!!!

Reactions: Ashhanbre
Let's not get overly optimistic.

Could 2022 happen? Sure. But it's not a likelihood. You have to remember, this is an entire new resort with a new park, citywalk, hotels, etc all being built on land that needs to be cleaned up first. They also are going to want to carefully plan out how they build out this first phase so it leaves them in a great position for a Second water park, more hotels and a potential fourth theme park far down the line.

This isn't something you rush.
Most parks have traditionally taken 3 years from groundbreaking to opening. I have to assume they've already put lots of planning work into this. Possibly even planned out with different land acquisition scenarios. They've already started some work on the site. Assuming groundbreaking is still a year away, four years seems reasonable even if they don't rush it. We don't expect them to rush this right, that's not something Universal is known for or anything.;)

Clue here
screen-shot-2018-04-13-at-10-47-14-am-2-copy-png.6418

E54tW0k.jpg

This is the "2nd resort proper", the 600+ acre contiguous package that will be the focus of the 2nd resort. At this point, the only remaining land that Universal doesn't own in the resort proper is Lockheed's 40 acre parcel to the east of the Kirkman Extension (black line).

Figured I'd repost this since it shows the various bodies of water that may be moved around in the center of the property (now that Universal owns all of it).

E54tW0k.jpg

This is the "2nd resort proper", the 600+ acre contiguous package that will be the focus of the 2nd resort. At this point, the only remaining land that Universal doesn't own in the resort proper is Lockheed's 40 acre parcel to the east of the Kirkman Extension (black line).

Figured I'd repost this since it shows the various bodies of water that may be moved around in the center of the property (now that Universal owns all of it).
I’m confused about the size of the entirety of the newly purchased land. Before we were hearing numbers in the 400-500 acre range (spotty memory) which I believe was before the settlement that happened a few days ago. After that, I’ve seen this 600 acre number and then other people saying something about 1,000+ acres. Does the 1,000+ number include the current resort?

I’m confused about the size of the entirety of the newly purchased land. Before we were hearing numbers in the 400-500 acre range (spotty memory) which I believe was before the settlement that happened a few days ago. After that, I’ve seen this 600 acre number and then other people saying something about 1,000+ acres. Does the 1,000+ number include the current resort?

The 1000+ includes satellite plots of land they acquired and land parcels that probably aren’t worth developing. Zg44 was pointing out the large, central bulk that will probably make up Site B

The sum total of everything (current UOR + all expansion lands) is somewhere over 2000 acres right now.

Original UOR + Wet 'n Wild: around 700 acres

2nd Resort Expansion lands: over 1300 acres

Of course as @JungleSkip pointed out, much of the expansion land won't be used or is too far away to be useful. That main 600+ acre package that I would call the "2nd resort proper" is where all of the main action will be: theme park(s), water park, CityWalk 2.0, onsite hotels.

Outside of that area, there's likely to be a golf resort in joint venture with Rosen Shingle Creek as well as other hotels offsite and some backoffice, but not the main fixtures of the resort.

E54tW0k.jpg

Hello, I'm new. I also want to point out that the Sand Lake Sunrail station is five miles away from this area (15 minute shuttle ride). Beginning in late summer 2018, the new Tupperware Station will be active that visitors will be able to use for Disney World and this new land will provide close proximity to the Sand Lake station:

sand-lake-sunrail.JPG

Hello, I'm new. I also want to point out that the Sand Lake Sunrail station is five miles away from this area (10 minute shuttle ride). Beginning in late summer 2018, the new Tupperware Station will be active that visitors will be able to use for Disney World and this new land will provide close proximity to the Sand Lake station:

View attachment 6424
Welcome to the IU Forum....Good first post. :thumbsup::toast:

Hello, I'm new. I also want to point out that the Sand Lake Sunrail station is five miles away from this area (10 minute shuttle ride). Beginning in late summer 2018, the new Tupperware Station will be active that visitors will be able to use for Disney World and this new land will provide close proximity to the Sand Lake station:

View attachment 6424
Nice insight, and welcome to the IU forums! :toast:

So nice to see so many new faces 'round here today.

One of the nice things about this land sale is that the filings compiled a list of references to a lot of documents relevant to this land. One of the bad things about that is that we now know that universal bought a lot of conservation wetlands that they can't do anything with.

Based on the conservation easements referenced in the deed filed yesterday it appears that most of the land near shingle creek cannot be built on. This includes everything east of the one foreclosure property purchased between Destination Parkway and Sand Lake Rd, and the large parcel directly north of Sand Lake. It also includes everything east of Rosen Shingle Creek between Destination Pkwy and 528 except for the far southeast parcel from the 2015 land purchase.

I think this means no golf resort in the location previously suggested.

Reactions: JoeCamel and zg44
One of the nice things about this land sale is that the filings compiled a list of references to a lot of documents relevant to this land. One of the bad things about that is that we now know that universal bought a lot of conservation wetlands that they can't do anything with.

Based on the conservation easements referenced in the deed filed yesterday it appears that most of the land near shingle creek cannot be built on. This includes everything east of the one foreclosure property purchased between Destination Parkway and Sand Lake Rd, and the large parcel directly north of Sand Lake. It also includes everything east of Rosen Shingle Creek between Destination Pkwy and 528 except for the far southeast parcel from the 2015 land purchase.

I think this means no golf resort in the location previously suggested.
Wasn't there a suggestion about Universal buying other wetlands and exchanging so those could be developed? Like Disney did recently when they bought those 3000 acres to exchange and free up some acreage around their parks?

I'd think they'd at least want to free that acreage up that'd be a part of the 2nd resort proper.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Status
Not open for further replies.