Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 52 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that it is Time Warner Cable Inc., which is a separate company from Time Warner Inc. It is a merger of the cable companies, no IPs are involved.

Time Warner Inc is also looking to be sold. Not just the cable as Rupert Murdoch of 20th Century Fox is believed to be in the lead of negotiations to acquire them.

The great and the good of the media and technology world are jetting into the picturesque Idahoan mountain resort of Sun Valley for the annual Allen & Company conference, where champagne sipping and deal-making are the order of the day.
The movers and shakers on the guest list include Rupert Murdoch, Google’s Larry Page, Sergey Brin and Eric Schmidt, movie mogul Harvey Weinstein, Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg, Intel’s Brian Krzanich, eBay’s John Donahoe, Amazon’s Jeff Bezos, Twitter's Dick Costolo, LinkedIn's Jeff Weiner and AOL's Tim Armstrong.
It’s likely that the seeds of several major mergers will be sown at Sun Valley, with Rupert Murdoch, the CEO of News Corporation and 21st Century Fox, the world’s second biggest media company, rumoured to be considering a buyout of Time Warner.

Last edited:
Daydreaming at Work

I hope this is the correct thread to post this, please don't kill me if its not :wave:. I was daydreaming at work and was wondering how I would like to see Universal expand. The map key is located below all the pics.

Universal Studios
UniversalStudios.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Islands of Adventure
IslandsofAdventure.png
[/URL][/IMG]
UOR South Lands
UniversalOtherPlots.png
[/URL][/IMG]
UOR Property
UORProperty.png
[/URL][/IMG]
SeaWorld
SeawordProperty.png
[/URL][/IMG]
South Orlando
SouthOrlando.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I thought it would be nice to draw my own wishful ideas if I had unlimited money and owned Universal. I understand there are projects underway that may not be depicted on here. I do have many ride ideas but I’m afraid to share them in public right now. I have ambitions to work for Universal one day and might need these ideas in my arsenal ;) These are just ideas that I would love to see and might be able to work one day 
A- With the addition of Diagon alley, Universal to me has entered the era of “Lands” rather than the studios feel. The front part will still be production central. We have the Simpsons and Diagon. The A section can be reworked into a Tokyo area that was discussed on a thread with a Fast and Furious ride that rivals test track. There’s plenty of land out there.
B- New employee parking deck with frees up all the land for C
C- New area to be built. I don’t have any ideas for an IP to use but it’s a huge piece of land to build a whole themed area or a themed area and the 5th Loews resort.
D- FFL stage can be given to Harry Potter for the 3rd and final expansion. Extend London on down and build a ministry of magic dark ride.
E- Iron man roller coaster for MSHI
F- Kong Land
G- Wondersea Island Water Park
H- Loews Hotel 4 (Egyptian themed one with the “Nile River” going through it)
I- Open area
J- Extension of the water taxi system to the new hotel and water park area
K- Buy SeaWorld. Remodel it and theme it. Add some rides and expand the park into the areas indicated in the shape but not yet occupied. This will become Universal’s third gate. One thing Universal hasn’t touched was wild animals, this would be it. Old SeaWorld will become “Sea”.
L- Lower International Drive into a tunnel. Extend SeaWorld over the road to make one huge park and connect it with Aquatica and the adjacent land.
M- Bulldoze aquatica and buy the land next to it. This would become the “Land” area of Universal’s third gate which is their animal park. Add some rides, coasters, and all the works and with Universal’s creative skill and ability to theme, this large land would rival Disney’s animal Kingdom. Add aother resort hotel and some shopping and the other city walk.
N- The parking Deck for the new third gate.

**The red lines you see on the map will be the monorail system that connects Universal Orlando Property to the new third gate property. The monorail will be like the Hogwarts express. You won’t look out and see yourself traveling across Orlando but rather different scenery thanks to the screens. Or they can run real cool commercials about the property you are headed to, it’s up to them.

Please note I purposely left out wet and wild. I don’t have the exact idea of what do for it yet.

Again these are just my ideas. Hope you all enjoy them!

The new employee garage does not free up any available land; it just makes it so parking isnt a huge hassle for TMs. From what I understand they still use every inch of that parking lot, the garage just makes parking more bearable. So C is out, sorry.

Also, looking at E...thats the Toon amphitheater, right? That space looks tiny, I dont see how anything substantial could go there, a small dark ride maybe but nothing major (if they left adjacent Toon Lagoon as is).

Last edited:
I would think the whole Blackfish nightmare would be a GOOD thing...as it may "cheapen" the SeaWorld brand for a much less expensive buy-out. Either way, I'd be ALL for this. But that's just me being a fanboi. The sad reality is that it would probably provide more headache than benefit for Comcast/Universal.

And regarding the previous comment about removing the Orcas, Shamu IS SeaWorld. He's what drives the people through the gates. Removing the orcas would be akin to removing the roller coasters from Cedar Point--devastating. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but doing so would strip the chain of its "icon" and its IDENTITY. That's not something that's impossible to overcome, but not something that's likely (in my eyes) to ever happen. You can see an aquarium anywhere...you can't see giant majestic orcas just anywhere.

However, until I see more definite proof that talks are actually taking place, I'm going to say this rumor is all a fanboy's wet dream and throw it in the "not happening" wastebasket for now.

Last edited:
Do you think Universal Orlando could use an 90 minute show and people actually are patience enough to watch? Like they do at Universal Japan with the One Piece Show they have. I think that would be good for an expansion a high quality entertaining 90 minute show.

Do you think Universal Orlando could use an 90 minute show and people actually are patience enough to watch? Like they do at Universal Japan with the One Piece Show they have. I think that would be good for an expansion a high quality entertaining 90 minute show.

well Japan and America have very different cultures when it comes to parks. They love their shows like crazy and Universal really caters to them in that regard with tons of actual broadway style shows that come out often. I can't honestly see them doing a in park free 90 minute show because I would question universals sanity if they did. Not only would most people skip it because it would take ALOT away from the actual park but it would also take away from shows like BMG. Why not see the 90 minute show for free instead of the 90 minute show you pay for? I'm also not certain if universal could create a entertaining full on show, could fail miserably

well Japan and America have very different cultures when it comes to parks. They love their shows like crazy and Universal really caters to them in that regard with tons of actual broadway style shows that come out often. I can't honestly see them doing a in park free 90 minute show because I would question universals sanity if they did. Not only would most people skip it because it would take ALOT away from the actual park but it would also take away from shows like BMG. Why not see the 90 minute show for free instead of the 90 minute show you pay for? I'm also not certain if universal could create a entertaining full on show, could fail miserably

I was just asking cuz I know the Aladdin Show in Disneyland is 50 minutes long and immensely popular and then I was watching this video of the One Piece show in Japan (which i don't know whats going on but its cheesy and already better than Beetlejuice and Sinbad) which is 90 minutes long. I know the one thing Universal lacks is good shows which Disney fanbois and people who don't like rides hit Universal on all the time so I think it would be a smart investment. I don't think it would hurt the BMG any if its not an actual Broadway show like Wicked but something a bit more low key like Godzirrah: On ice lol. (joke)

Its also why Japan and Singapore get stuff like this all over their parks.
usj_xmas2012_03.jpg

p1070727.jpg

featured-image2.jpg

574945_10150754270190286_680154292_n.jpg

14.PNG

5-05-curved-buildings.jpg

Last edited:

I agree. I don't think people dislike shows, but 90 minutes for your average park goer is far too long for a show even too long to wait on a ride.
A show should be 15-20 minutes 30 Minutes MAX. Make it like A'lure at sea world, a theater with a decent holding and technology to create a gifted atmosphere and you got yourself a Winner for Universal. Sinbad is doing okay and just okay as outdated as it is.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I agree. I don't think people dislike shows, but 90 minutes for your average park goer is far too long for a show even too long to wait on a ride.
A show should be 15-20 minutes 30 Minutes MAX. Make it like A'lure at sea world, a theater with a decent holding and technology to create a gifted atmosphere and you got yourself a Winner for Universal. Sinbad is doing okay and just okay as outdated as it is.

I don't think a show should be 30 minutes max. Aladdin is proof that a longer show works in the parks too. Either way, the resort is in dire need of a new show.

I don't think a show should be 30 minutes max. Aladdin is proof that a longer show works in the parks too. Either way, the resort is in dire need of a new show.

How long you talking?

What 90 minute show do you know in one US theme park???

Longest stage show I know in US is Finding Nemo Musical at Animal Kingdom . about 40 minutes.

Cirque is about 90 minutes but that's a separate admission show like Blue Man Group. Stage shows over 30 minutes don't usually work in theme parks.

Sinbad is what? 25 minutes?

ANYHOW.

As others have said . Expansion of a few shows would be great esp for Islands.

I find that to be a great part of Disney. Not having to ride something after you eat buy rather seeing a show or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: natespf

Aladdin is proof that it works to a point.

As a regular theatre goer I'd have prefered if people didn't talk all the way through it, and that the kids would keep still (some adults were worse!). It was too long to keep their attention and spoilt a good show for my wife and I.

But hey it's Disneyland, theres gonna be kids there

I'm also not certain if universal could create a entertaining full on show, could fail miserably

Not to be mean or anything but none of the shows at Universal are any good. I like Bettlejuice but besides that one, none of the shows in the parks are really that good (The shows at halloween horror nights are even worse)

So yeah I kind of agree with this, I don't know if they could do an entertaining full show. they can barely make good shows now.

Horror Makeup and Animal Actors are awesome.

Yep that's my opinion on it too, but then again both of those are showcases. When they actually try to write a real show with characters and a plot you get sinbad. Unless if they got an actual broadway writer, a 90 minute show would be miserable

They don't need a 90-minute show for the parks. But 30-45 minutes, they could easily do.

They need to focus on IPs that lend themselves to stage shows. (And No do not bring Waterworld to Universal Orlando.) Billy Madison lends itself as a stage show, its comedic in nature, the sets will be relatively simple to create, and story is not overly complex. And Universal has paid for a film to be turned into a musical before (Bring it on) and Tina Fey is working on one for Mean Girls (also a Universal property, would be extremely entertaining but not very manly or family friendly). They could even get Suessical to be their stage show if they wanted.

I would think the whole Blackfish nightmare would be a GOOD thing...as it may "cheapen" the SeaWorld brand for a much less expensive buy-out. Either way, I'd be ALL for this. But that's just me being a fanboi. The sad reality is that it would probably provide more headache than benefit for Comcast/Universal.

And regarding the previous comment about removing the Orcas, Shamu IS SeaWorld. He's what drives the people through the gates. Removing the orcas would be akin to removing the roller coasters from Cedar Point--devastating. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but doing so would strip the chain of its "icon" and its IDENTITY. That's not something that's impossible to overcome, but not something that's likely (in my eyes) to ever happen. You can see an aquarium anywhere...you can't see giant majestic orcas just anywhere.

However, until I see more definite proof that talks are actually taking place, I'm going to say this rumor is all a fanboy's wet dream and throw it in the "not happening" wastebasket for now.
You make a strong point. SeaWorld had a fairly successful park in Geauga, Ohio. They sold the park and took the Orca. After a few years the park died financially, even though they had added other new areas. SeaWorld's fate is tied to the Orcas. no doubt about it.

Well, with Fox starting up in the theme park business again. We should pray they do not get Time Warner Inc. (Not the cable but the entertainment including Warner Bros which is being sought after right now by Rupert Murdouch) otherwise buy buy LOTR, DC, Dreamworks (they already are distributed by Fox) and a lot of other good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.