Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a major part of the I-4 improvement plan. You can read about it on the I-4 improvement site. It's a long ways down the road though.

Here's an official rendering from that site:
I-4_Rendering_Kirkman_Labeled_900.jpg

But if Universal wanted that land, and was able to throw enough money at the right people, they could probably buy it.

I have a feeling if Uni wanted this stopped, they could do it relatively easily...

Here's the promised visual aid on the different plots in the Major Blvd. loop. Below the graphic will be a growing list of details for each plot (hotel rooms, land/building values, use codes, etc.). Please be patient as I continue updating the list with additional information.

28qror8.jpg

1) Double Tree
- Owned by Meristar Hospitality
- 754 Guest Rooms
- 16.5 acres
- Total Market value: $28,878,843 (buildings and land)
- Use Code: 3920 (Hotel Full Service)
2) Holiday Inn
- Owned by AVR Realty Co.
- 390 Guest Rooms
- 7.4 acres
- Total Market value: $10,646,576
- Use Code: 3910 (Hotel Limited Services)​
3) Summit Hotel OP LP (vacant land)
- 3.2 acres
- Land Value: $1,604,610
- Use Code: 1000 (Vacant Commercial)​
4) Hyatt Place
- Owned by Summit Hotel OP LP
- 151 Guest Rooms
- 3.2 acres
- Total Market Value: $7,404,217
5) DOT/State of Florida (vacant)
- 4.0 acres
- Land Value: $1,766,319
- Use Code: 8700 (State)​
6) DOT/State of Florida (vacant)
- 2.1 acres
- Land Value: $1,288,000
- Use Code: 2800 (Surface Parking)​
7) Days Inn
- Owned by Caravan Hotel Properties
- 261 Guest Rooms
- 5.7 acres
- Total Market Value: $3,881,673
8) Dealer Property Holdings (vacant)
- 25.3 acres
- Land Value: $7,945,258
9) Central Florida Investments Inc. (Florida Visitor Bureau)
- 5.7 acres
- Total Market Value: $1,598,945
- Use Code: 3400 (Recreational Meeting)​
10) Major Plaza office buildings (two lots)
- Owned by Emerson Investments International Inc
- 7.9 acres
- Total Market Value: $13,958,524
- Use Code: 1802 (Office 4-8 stories)​
11) Red Vineland Road Holdings LLC (vacant, 2 lots)
- 4 acres
- Land Value: $1,421,192
12) Extended Stay America
- Owned by BRE/ESA FL Properties LLC
- 122 Guest Rooms
- 3 acres
- Total Market Value: $3,043,035
- Use Code: 3905 (Hotel Extended Stay)​
13) Behnia Pedram (vacant)
- 1.7 acres
- Land Value: $606,704
14) Extended Stay Deluxe
- Owned by BRE/ESA FL Properties LLC
- 84 Guest Rooms
- 2.1 acres
- Total Market Value: $2,266,605
15) Walgreens/Golden Corral/BK (5 lots)
- Owned by Bara Universal/Vineland Inc.
- 4.4 acres
- Total Market Value: $5,520,208
- Use Codes: 1019, 2200, 2800, 1600, 1100 (Vacant Commercial Education, Restaurant Chain, Surface Parking, Community Shopping, Stores 1 Story)​
16) Fairfield Inn & Suites
- Owned by CH Orlando Hotel Partners
- 116 Guest Rooms
- 1.5 acres
- Total Market Value: $6,345,559
17) Best Western Universal
- Owned by Allegiance LLC
- 70 Guest Rooms
- 1.1 acres
- Total Market Value: $3,245,308
18) Kobe Steak
- TCM of Kirkman LLC
- 0.8 acres
- Total Market Value: $936,778
- Use Code: 2100 (Restaurants/Cafe)​
19) Holiday Inn Express
- Owned by MBOF Associates LLC
- 196 Guest Rooms
- 2 acres
- Total Market Value: $6,119,368
20) InTown Suites
- InTown Suites Major Blvd. LLC
- 150 Guest Rooms
- 3.3 acres
- Total Market Value: $3,024,595
21) Comfort Suites
- Owned by Dick Road-Blend-All Hotel (wtf? The name requires more digging)
- 101 Guest Rooms
- 2.2 acres
- Total Market Value: $3,637,350
22) La Quinta
- Owned by Major Universal Lodging LLC
- 80 Guest Rooms
- 2 acres
- Total Market Value: $3,376,996
23) Baymont Inn & Suites
- Owned by SAI Arunachaal LLC
- 56 Guest Rooms
- 1 acre
- Total Market Value: $1,593,480
24) Wendy's
- Owned by Wendy's of NE Florida Inc.
- 1.1 acres
- Total Market Value: $606,706
- Use Code: 2200 (Restaurant Chain)​

TOTALS (Including 3 DOT/State of Florida Runoff/retention plots)
- Guest Rooms: 2,531
- Acreage: 119.2 acres
- Total Market/Land Value: $120,717,149​

Last edited:
Here's the promised visual aid on the different plots in the Major Blvd. loop. Below the graphic will be a growing list of details for each plot (hotel rooms, land/building values, use codes, etc.). Please be patient as I continue updating the list with additional information.

28qror8.jpg

1) Double Tree
- Owned by Meristar Hospitality
- 754 Guest Rooms
- 16.5 acres
- Total assessed value: $28,878,84 (buildings and land)

Do you have the dates the leases expire?

Not yet, I'm going through and trying to get all the basic info put in first. I'm up to plot 11. Some of them are going to be a little more difficult to track down, I think, particularly regarding the Major Plaza office buildings. I'll try my best to get to those, but they may have to wait until tomorrow.

Although I can tell you that Wendy's owns their plot of land outright.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and rendering, ParkRumors! :thumbs:

Mike, what does the DOT abbreviation mean? The only thing I came up with is Department of Transportation. Is that correct? Thanks a lot for your time and patience in doing this!! Much appreciated :thumbs:

Yep, DOT in this instance stands for Department of Transportation. They also control the three or four small parcels that are just water in the Major Blvd. area, but their value is only $100 (obviously they won't be given up for that price, though).

Here's an official rendering from that site:
I-4_Rendering_Kirkman_Labeled_900.jpg

FDOT also owns the land across I4 for the landing of the new overpass, as well as the little lake (green area east of Grand national Dr.).

I think this will be happening, it is a ways down the road but it is part of a much larger project. Universal could still possibly buy the land around it on Major Blvd to use as they wish.

Ok, the list is completely done with the basics. Tomorrow I'll go through and add land use codes and any lease information I can find.

Regarding the overpass, I think this could actually work in Universal's favor as long as they jump on the land before this gets close enough that more businesses start eyeing the empty lots, driving up the asking price. It would provide a new high capacity road into/off their expanded property, connecting very close to a big shopping destination for their international guests. It may seem a little counter-intuitive, but it could actually be a sticking point for guests, being able to stay on Universal property, get the perks, and still be close enough to walk to the outlets.

OK, have to laugh because my mom works in the office building in this land and I have stayed at the extended stay place, which by all means should be torn down :) I couldn't stand staying there so much we bought an air mattress and TV (which we latter returned the TV) so that we could stay in the home we found for renting early before our furniture was moved down. We were supposed to stay in the extended place until everything was moved down - lol

But on a note of where my mom works, they just moved in and I know they are expanding, so I am thinking there lease might be for a good amount of time.

I know Universal had developed a plan for the Major Blvd area, and it was mostly a CityWalk expansion leaving the existing hotels where they are. but I think they may have moved to a grander plan that will give Universal a presence all down I-Drive almost to Sea World. The current plan I have heard is move WnW and place 3 hotels on the WnW plot, and the 3rd gate possibly going on Lockheed land where the horses are behind Pointe Orlando.

Just knowing the amount of active commercial properties between WnW and Point Orlando is the plan even financially viable? That's a ton of real estate. Or are you saying the bulk of the plans involve land beyond Universal Blvd which they owned at one point already?

Last edited:
Universal won't buy all the land between Uni>WnW or WnW>Pointe Orlando. Just develop the WnW property and then develop the Third Gate parcel. I believe they are looking at 2023-2025 for the whole build-out.

But count on some significant infrastructure upgrades to pull the whole thing together as a "Resort".

I know Universal had developed a plan for the Major Blvd area, and it was mostly a CityWalk expansion leaving the existing hotels where they are. but I think they may have moved to a grander plan that will give Universal a presence all down I-Drive almost to Sea World. The current plan I have heard is move WnW and place 3 hotels on the WnW plot, and the 3rd gate possibly going on Lockheed land where the horses are behind Pointe Orlando.

Many this sounds like an amazing plan. Universal really has the pedal to the metal and isnt slowing down. Do you think they somehow would connect this new property with the current one across I-4 somehow?

Universal won't buy all the land between Uni>WnW or WnW>Pointe Orlando. Just develop the WnW property and then develop the Third Gate parcel. I believe they are looking at 2023-2025 for the whole build-out.

But count on some significant infrastructure upgrades to pull the whole thing together as a "Resort".
If they are able to put together a viable mass transit system such as a monorail that connects close to the convention center they would be golden. The amount of conventioneers on expense accounts with easy access to the parks would create a whole new revenue stream for them. Not to mention the amount of group business they could do by selling the fact that conventions could simply use the existing mass transit system to access their park parties and buyouts to save money. That is one of the biggest selling points used to sell groups on hosting in the Epcot Resort area.

Someone earlier was talking about how the overpass would connect uni to shopping. Couldn't they take advantage of an I-drive location the same way?

Many this sounds like an amazing plan. Universal really has the pedal to the metal and isnt slowing down. Do you think they somehow would connect this new property with the current one across I-4 somehow?
Yes.

Anyone have one of those handy dandy maps of the property that Universals own that this 3rd gate is rumored for?

I believe maxairmike posted one a few pages ago.

Regarding land purchases...a few weeks ago I put together a graphic with the help of Google Maps and the OCPA. The land I outlined was listed as Universal City Property Management (except for one or two parcels listed as Universal Studios, which from all that I can tell, they still own). However, it seems that UCPM was sold to an investment group of Fourth Quarter Properties in either '03 or '05, and FQP owns most of the adjacent smaller lots. But to take things in an even more interesting direction, it seems that almost immediately following the sale of UCPM and its assets to FQP...Universal went and created a new UCPM division (one is an LLC, the other an LTD, can't remember which was first and which is current). Anyway, here's the graphic with all UCPM/Studios plots outlined. Tomorrow I may come back and expand a little bit on some other plots as well.

15nx8ow.jpg
[/IMG]

Found it. Perfect :thumbs:

That would be it, and there's some land that is readily available above the largest plot as well. It was slated for a Palazzo resort development (just like the failed one at the corner of 536 and I-Drive, the website for that one is still live last I checked), but has been abandoned just like the other. I would assume the parcel would be an easy purchase if they jumped on it quick enough and would take that area all the way up to Sand Lake Rd next to Lockheed. Also, Lockheed no longer owns any of the land surrounding its existing facilities, it is all controlled by Fourth Quarter Properties or other aforementioned realty groups.

Also, I would guess this means 3 hotels on both the actual park and parking lot parcels, correct? They couldn't fit 3 tower hotels with parking and shared facilities on the park lot alone, and I have a hard time seeing three in that total area including the parking lot just eyeballing the hotel across the street.

Also, I updated my large post on the previous page with room, acreage, and value totals for the Major Blvd. lots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.