Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 139 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find a monorail/light rail or people mover system the most likely options. Are cable car systems like the Hogwarts Express capable of (multiple) turns beyond about 45° with a reasonable radius? I can only think of fairly straight line installations (yes, I know HE has the jog in its path, thus the "fairly straight line" part). Plus, what DH said seems like this was before reclaiming the south resort parcels, which I think makes a cable car system even less likely. I'd look for some kind of light rail/people mover/PRT system.

I would imagine they are going for something similar to the LinQ in Las Vegas...it is zippy and doesn't take a ton of time to get around..perhaps with the HE concept thrown in..but that would take away from the actual HE attraction's magic I think

I would imagine they are going for something similar to the LinQ in Las Vegas...it is zippy and doesn't take a ton of time to get around..perhaps with the HE concept thrown in..but that would take away from the actual HE attraction's magic I think

The monorail?

I think whatever transport they decide to use, it's pretty much a certaintiy that the Windows will be blocked out or heavily tinted.

I find a monorail/light rail or people mover system the most likely options. Are cable car systems like the Hogwarts Express capable of (multiple) turns beyond about 45° with a reasonable radius? I can only think of fairly straight line installations (yes, I know HE has the jog in its path, thus the "fairly straight line" part). Plus, what DH said seems like this was before reclaiming the south resort parcels, which I think makes a cable car system even less likely. I'd look for some kind of light rail/people mover/PRT system.

I think a PRT system would actually be a great idea and a far superior system than a monorail. Something similar to Heathrow Airport would be ideal.

ULTra (rapid transit) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are some of the bullet points:
  • the company reports that the total cost (vehicles, infrastructure and control systems) is between £3 million and £5 million per kilometre of guideway. (Far cheaper than a monorail)
  • ULTra is in contention to develop an urban system in Amritsar, India projected to carry up to 100,000 passengers per day using 200 vehicles. (Capacity shouldn't be an issue)
  • It's more direct than a monorail.
The main cons of a monorail is that it's expensive and if you were at Universal South and wanted to go to Universal Studios, you would need to stop at every stop on the way, so Convention Centre?, Wet n Wild plot, CityWalk and then get off for the parks plus you'd have to wait for the train to arrive and unless they have a loop for trains to make a continuous journey, if you miss the train, you may have to wait for the train to make a journey up and back for you to get on. Using a PRT, your wait time could be less and you could head directly to where you want to go and if the track is small enough, you could have individual stops for the parks and hotels making it a far more efficient system.

Here's a video about the Heathrow one:

Last edited:
Reactions: blue180
Instead of the Heathrow example of small PRTs an automated version of nearly 4o year old Morgantown WV PRT may be better in this situation.

It has slightly larger cars. During peak times they can run in continuous mode or schedule mode. So, around park opening it could run straight from the hotels to the parks. During off peak times it could go into personal mode.

WVU is very spread out and many different places students need to go and not really all the places are on a straight route. So this makes sense for WVU (I have seen it in action many times as I have family who lives in Morgantown), but it does not make sense in a situation where you have a straight route with 4 or less stops which is probably what Universal will have. I see no need for personalized routes as in a single car someone is probably getting off or getting on at every stop.

Funnicular (by the same company that built HE):
MandalayBay.jpg

Solution for the windows:

I'm a couple pages behind, but do we have any proof that Universal could possibly get the legal approval to build this monorail? I don't think I-Drive could deal with the construction and the water table is too high for anything underground. Not to mention getting approval from Orlando, and dealing with the logistics.

I'm a couple pages behind, but do we have any proof that Universal could possibly get the legal approval to build this monorail? I don't think I-Drive could deal with the construction and the water table is too high for anything underground. Not to mention getting approval from Orlando, and dealing with the logistics.

We have no proof they are building a third park other than they just bought a bunch of land. Everything is speculation and rumors until we know more. But there have been rumblings of these rumors for awhile now, so I imagine there is some truth to them. Or at least it is something Uni is heavily considering. I don't think they would go down I Drive. Cross over, yes, go down, doubt it.

Proof? Of course not. Well educated guesses/informed opinions, yes. Mine is that approval for such a project would likely be fairly easy, despite dealing with both City and County jurisdiction (the current resort plus WnW is in the City, the south resort area is in unincorporated Orange County). It would be made even easier if a "publicly accessible" stop is a part of the package at the WnW plot. The only reason the I-Drive District would be opposed to such a possibility is the impact it could have on their I-Drive Trolley, but I think that can be shown to be minimal, as their Universal stop isn't exactly convenient to the resort, and I doubt it really draws convention attendees as riders. The upside to an elevated transit system is enormous, in terms of how it would affect traffic in the District. Instead of having guests driving to and from the two resort areas putting yet more traffic onto the area roads, or even Universal putting busses on the road, it keeps the roads clearer outside of the peak arrival and departure times (and on Universal Blvd that is huge, as Lockheed emptying at 5pm on weekdays does bad things to the growing traffic in that area). Also, any elevated transit wouldn't be interacting with I-Drive at all, outside of crossing it at the intersection of Universal Blvd. The most likely routes are following Universal Blvd. all the way, or (and my preferred route) cutting across after WnW to Kirkman and down past Lockheed.

Proof? Of course not. Well educated guesses/informed opinions, yes. Mine is that approval for such a project would likely be fairly easy, despite dealing with both City and County jurisdiction (the current resort plus WnW is in the City, the south resort area is in unincorporated Orange County). It would be made even easier if a "publicly accessible" stop is a part of the package at the WnW plot. The only reason the I-Drive District would be opposed to such a possibility is the impact it could have on their I-Drive Trolley, but I think that can be shown to be minimal, as their Universal stop isn't exactly convenient to the resort, and I doubt it really draws convention attendees as riders. The upside to an elevated transit system is enormous, in terms of how it would affect traffic in the District. Instead of having guests driving to and from the two resort areas putting yet more traffic onto the area roads, or even Universal putting busses on the road, it keeps the roads clearer outside of the peak arrival and departure times (and on Universal Blvd that is huge, as Lockheed emptying at 5pm on weekdays does bad things to the growing traffic in that area). Also, any elevated transit wouldn't be interacting with I-Drive at all, outside of crossing it at the intersection of Universal Blvd. The most likely routes are following Universal Blvd. all the way, or (and my preferred route) cutting across after WnW to Kirkman and down past Lockheed.

It might not draw convention attendees as riders but CityWalk might. Well known restaurants within 5mins and bars without the need to drive could prove to be lucrative.

WVU is very spread out and many different places students need to go and not really all the places are on a straight route. So this makes sense for WVU (I have seen it in action many times as I have family who lives in Morgantown), but it does not make sense in a situation where you have a straight route with 4 or less stops which is probably what Universal will have. I see no need for personalized routes as in a single car someone is probably getting off or getting on at every stop.

I think there could be a need for personalised routes as the resort expands, especially when Volcano Bay opens as I'm sure hotel guests would rather go straight to their hotel than walking 10mins in their wet swimsuit to wait for transport.

I might make up a possible route but it's getting a bit late and it's been a long day.

Geography is not the issue here. The water table prevents downward construction and only minimally effects upward construction (mostly on the financial side).

We have no proof they are building a third park other than they just bought a bunch of land. Everything is speculation and rumors until we know more. But there have been rumblings of these rumors for awhile now, so I imagine there is some truth to them. Or at least it is something Uni is heavily considering. I don't think they would go down I Drive. Cross over, yes, go down, doubt it.

Weeeeeell... I told everyone for the first time a long time ago that Comcast had a hat in the race for the property... not only that, but I was told they really really wanted it; must have it. When I asked what they wanted it for... I was told, "3rd gate".

Before that, we could only wonder if Comcast/Uni might be interested.

Once again, I remind everyone that Universal Blvd was built BY UNIVERSAL (years ago) to connect the properties. It's hard to believe they didn't allow for an easement of some kind for a transportation system following that road.

If I was a betting person, I'd say that the WnW property would serve as a transfer point eventually so a funicular would connect the existing resort to the new hotels at WnW, then a second line connecting the south end property and its hotels, restaurants, and park(s).

A monorail or other elevated system would have a very minimal construction impact on the area, not to mention construction is temporary it doesn't go on for years and years like the bus transportation occupying those roads would. Allowing Universal to do this is the absolute best option for the local government since this would be moving something that tax dollars would have to help support to a privately funded system, the only people who would oppose this would be the local businesses even then though all this development is really good for them.

I don't get the fascination with PRT in this situation. It's a neat technology sure, but would be the absolute wrong choice here for Universal. They are primarily moving thousands of people from one site to another for the most part. Having everyone wait in disastrously long lines for their private pod to take them all essentially to the same place would make even WDW's transportation system or the LYNX buses seem more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.