Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs | Page 113 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That's not exactly accurate, it is officially advertised as cutting your wait times in half. If you walk into Minion Mayhem when it's a 90-minute wait, you're still probably waiting around half-an-hour through the Express line.
Well yeah that's true. I guess what I meant was with VQ you're wait is the same as what it would have been with a standard queue and I'm assuming you can only wait for one attraction at time in the VQ. With Express of course you can go from attraction to attraction with no time limits.

I don't think this will branch out to existing rides. Fallon had been described as having large interactive areas and a museum to meander around while waiting. If, for example, Simpsons got this where would the people go? The land is packed as is and the massive amount of queues will go unused.

That's the fundamental issue certain people in the community/on Twitter/might be known for drinking at theme parks don't fundamentally understand. A virtual queue does not remove waiting, it just makes you wait in an area not designed for it.
That was actually the next attraction that came to mind that I think could use it. As for overcrowding Springfield, if I were Universal I would take that as an opportunity for another Simpsons expansion. Food and merchandise opportunities abound with that IP.

I agree, but that line can be a real drag otherwise. The video loop is very entertaining, but I still think those endless switchbacks and such can be miserable, especially once you get to the upper ramps and there's no video up there.
Even Express is usually fairly long on Simpsons. It's probably the only long Express lines I ever encounter. It's really the way the ride is set up. I don't think even virtual queuing would help since Express gets bogged down too. And I don't even go during the busy seasons. They'll have a sign out front that stand by is 15 minutes. But I'll end up in Express for 15 to 30 and who knows how long the poor standbys are waiting. They must use the time you get near the indoor pre show screens as their listed time. It's sure not when the ride starts.

Reactions: DK745
I agree, but that line can be a real drag otherwise. The video loop is very entertaining, but I still think those endless switchbacks and such can be miserable, especially once you get to the upper ramps and there's no video up there.

The issue is queues are a vital vein in amusement parks. Removing guests from the queues clogs up surrounding arteries such as counter service seating areas, curbs, and planters. Guests have shown not to travel far if the attraction return time is reasonably short. I picked Simpsons as an example as it's already a busy area that would become worse with wait time tickets.

I don't think Minions or Shrek will be permanent implementations, but Minions seems to be the best fit. Plus their waiting area is perfect for benches and a decorated play area.

That was actually the next attraction that came to mind that I think could use it. As for overcrowding Springfield, if I were Universal I would take that as an opportunity for another Simpsons expansion. Food and merchandise opportunities abound with that IP.

Nintendo would help ease up congestion eventually, especially if they had a secondary access point like Hogsmeade

In what's good timing for this virtual queueing discussion, Kevin Yee, has an excellent article today (on Mice Chat) about Disneyland Park overcrowding issues due to capacity issues, prime among them is fastpass which puts too many people in the streets due to it reserving a place in line, like virtual queue does. It's a good read. Another reason I don't see Universal doing this for more than a couple of attractions.

In what's good timing for this virtual queueing discussion, Kevin Yee, has an excellent article today (on Mice Chat) about Disneyland Park overcrowding issues due to capacity issues, prime among them is fastpass which puts too many people in the streets due to it reserving a place in line, like virtual queue does. It's a good read. Another reason I don't see Universal doing this for more than a couple of attractions.

Yet it doesn't even have that many FP attractions. 7 or 8 in Disneyland compared to 20+ at Magic Kingdom.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Yet it doesn't even have that many FP attractions. 7 or 8 in Disneyland compared to 20+ at Magic Kingdom.
Yes. One reason they're dreading the increase of fast (maxi) pass options. It's going to get real ugly out there. It might look like that Star Trek episode of the crowded planet where everyone has one sq. yard of space.

Reactions: Joel
Be for real guys... who would want to wait an hour and a half in the Despicable Me queue when you can go grab a bite or shop and thencome back?

That queue is so... despicable.

Because that's not how people operate. Instead they'll head across the street to Shrek or around the corner to T2.

Reactions: Mike S