Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Resort's Photographic-phobia

Didn't want to start a new thread for this so I'm posting it here.

From Universal News, May 20 - June 2, 2013 . . .

Media & Celebrity Policy Reminder

UO is fortunate to have big-name artists like those performing in our Summer Concert Series come to visit or perform at our resort. These celebrities expect Team Members not to invade their privacy. If you notice a celebrity, please remember that soliciting photos and autographs is unprofessional conduct and will lead to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.

Also, because we are a part of the entertainment industry, a lot of what occurs at UO will be newsworthy and a member of the media (TV, radio, print, and Internet) may approach you with questions. If this happens, please refer them to our Public Relations Department. The rest of us are not authorized to talk to the media about the Company or what happens within our work areas unless authorized and coordinated by our Public Relations team. This includes posting information about upcoming events or attractions on blogs or other Internet forums.

If you have any questions, please contact the Public Relations Department at 407-363-8220. Thank you for your cooperation!

Media-CelebrityPolicyReminder.jpg

They post that (same exact text) in a newsletter about once a quarter (normally before Mardi Gras, SCS, Horror Nights and Macy's). It's just meant to be a reminder for TM's to just do their job. :lol:

This conversation has kinda drifted into the ridiculous:

The competition does not have money to spend on helicopter recon missions; that's kinda ridiculous.

No offense but that comment is kind of ridiculous. So huge corporations can not afford a helicopter ride but a couple park fans on a forum can? :rofl: Not to mention enough tourists take helicopter rides to support businesses which that is all they do. I am just saying them not being able to afford it is not a realistic point. Heck Disney and NBCUni subsidiaries own copters, and send them up all the time for seemingly pointless shots. But aside from that competitors have much better ways of getting real inside information than to follow some park rumors forum.

Not to single you out, as there were several other posts against taking photos that had ridiculous points. Don't forget that 99.76% of visitors to the theme parks never go onto rumor websites. I know I come on here because that is something that interests me, and the shots build hype in my eyes. I would assume the same for most of the other participants here. If these forums ruin the theme park experience for you in anyway don't use these forums, or at least stay away from those threads.

Before someone goes off on this, I do understand the rights of a property owner. They are not breaking a law, because they can ask you to stop taking pictures or remove you from the property for any reason other than age, race, gender, disability, etc. But what I am saying is the official written policy encourages photos in these areas, but they are enforcing some unwritten policy selectively to certain guests.

Just curious, has there been any sort of resolution to this situation for Bob, or are y'all unable to say anything about it at present?

Unfortunately, no there has been no resolution at all. In fact, UOR will not even return my calls, emails or FAXes. I did everything I was instructed to do and there will not even acknowledge that I exist. Apparently the appeals process does not even exist. So much for what I was told.

I am trying to move on but as you can probably tell from recent events on the forum it's no going good. Oh well :shrug:

--- Edit ---

I would like to add that although this is the ultimate cause of my resignation as an OU Correspondent. I resigned because I thought it would be best for the forum.

Last edited:
Bob: I can strongly sympathize with you since it appears you were singled out for banning & punishment...That said, I was a union president for apx. 20 years and did thousands of grievance and arbitration hearings. My first advice to the aggrieved parties was to not discuss the merits of their case, since it often has the the chilling effect of putting management in a corner and less reluctant to settle the case with a positive outcome. I would think that Universal sometimes monitors this site due to concerns over insider info and the photo controversies. It would probably be in your best interest to cease discussing the issue and to change your no photo ID picture, since it may be affecting Universal's willingness to back off their ban.

IMO the best part was this tweet from one of TP's researchers....

Spoke to a Team Member about Guest Services and she said, “I literally don’t know what you’re talking about…what’s guest services for?”

As the source of this renewed interest I thought I would give my opinion.

And it is . . . Choose your battles wisely, there is always another day.

I made this post quite a ways back in the thread. I guess do to recent (O.k., not so recent now) I will be retracting the bolded part of my above statement.