Universal Orlando Resort's Photographic-phobia | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort's Photographic-phobia

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You're correct, ReelJustice.

Universal can absolutely tell you that you can't take photos of a certain area. It's private property -- they can do what they wish. They can also kick you out for wearing orange if it's a "No Orange Day". They can pretty much have whatever rule they wish to have as long as it's not discriminatory.

I know a lot of us have an entitled "It's a free country, I can do what I want, or else let me speak to a Manager" attitude, but unfortunately, it's just not the case.

Listen, in construction of new theme park attractions, there are new technologies and trade secrets being put into action. You, taking pictures and posting them online, can alert the competition to what Universal is doing. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if park XYZ also opened a similar attraction nearby. It makes it not as special. This is the theme park equivalent of you going to Apple headquarters and taking a picture of the next iPhone.

Sure, there's also security risks with third party vendors and whatnot. But ultimately, Universal (and any smart company) must protect their millions of dollars of investment, and try to minimize any breaches of their intellectual property -- including you taking pictures of the construction activity.

And the "Any press is good press" philosophy does not apply here. The pictures posted on this site are not drumming up publicity and selling tickets -- everyone here is a theme park fan and is already going to the parks.

I'm not shunning the picture-takers and information-sharers on this board. I love it. But just don't have an aire of entitlement when someone asks you to stop taking pictures in their backyard.

It's very different than sneaking into Apple headquarters. It's actually a lot more similar to how Apple and Windows got their start. It's like having a smart but foolish neighbor who leaves his front door open and invites you in occasionally. That's why there are pictures of Woodberry at New Fantasyland, despite being Uni Creative.

It's very different than sneaking into Apple headquarters. It's actually a lot more similar to how Apple and Windows got their start. It's like having a smart but foolish neighbor who leaves his front door open and invites you in occasionally. That's why there are pictures of Woodberry at New Fantasyland, despite being Uni Creative.

Wasn't that a part of a local community leaders conference WDW was hosting prior to FLE grand opening? So he was an invited guest. The pictures of James Cameron and imagineers in WWOHP are more of what you are thinking of.

To me, I think the worst part of this policy is that UNI does not seem to make an effort for it to be known. I also think if I showed security a tri-pod at bag check and was let in with it, well, I would assume I could use it. I just think it would be better to let guest have a chance to know the rules before confronting someone and telling them they broke an unpublished rule.

I do not buy the 'trade secrets' argument, sure if someone gets a picture of blueprints lying around, maybe, but I would think any technology would be inside a covered building, blueprints should just give you an advanced look at what a building might look like, there would be no reason to have a track layout for the folks building the building structure.

I get that the Internet has allowed folks to share pictures and such with a much larger audience and all, but I like looking back at old pictures and remembering what some place looked like back when...

As for this site giving UNI 'free publicity', I came here looking for information prior to deciding to buy an AP. I certainly appreciate the insights I was able to get from the discussions I browsed through.

My familiy's next planned trip to UNI were certainly influenced by some of the 'buzz' I found on this site.

Anyway, I appreciate the photos folks share here (you lot have better lenses then I and are better at taking photos). I took some on my last trip and shared them on this site for I wanted to give something back to this community...oh, and I dug the use of the fish eye lense that someone posted from SAT :smiley:

I do not buy the 'trade secrets' argument, sure if someone gets a picture of blueprints lying around, maybe, but I would think any technology would be inside a covered building, blueprints should just give you an advanced look at what a building might look like, there would be no reason to have a track layout for the folks building the building structure.

There are multiple inaccuracies in this statement. Alas, I cannot tell you what they are. :wave:

There are multiple inaccuracies in this statement. Alas, I cannot tell you what they are. :wave:

I can appreciate that. I do not work in any of the industries involved here so I have no knowledge, but I am pretty sure if a competitor wanted to know what was going on, they could afford a helicopter to get great photos of the area themselves. Someone wanting to study the area regularly could easily ride the Simpson's ride once a week to get a quick, unobstructed view.

UNI could easily add screens (like what is used on tennis court fences) to extend the height of the construction walls if they wanted to hide the construction views from the guest.

No big deal, I just think there are better solutions than telling guest to delete photos regardless of why they do not want photos of the area getting out. 99.9% of the interactions I have had w/ employees at UOR have been outstanding and I would hate for them to start doing things (I find silly) to give guest a different experience then I have found on my visits.

Didn't Disney buy Lucas out so they could see what effects were planned for the train ride? (I'm being sarcastic)

I can appreciate that. I do not work in any of the industries involved here so I have no knowledge, but I am pretty sure if a competitor wanted to know what was going on, they could afford a helicopter to get great photos of the area themselves. Someone wanting to study the area regularly could easily ride the Simpson's ride once a week to get a quick, unobstructed view.

UNI could easily add screens (like what is used on tennis court fences) to extend the height of the construction walls if they wanted to hide the construction views from the guest.

No big deal, I just think there are better solutions than telling guest to delete photos regardless of why they do not want photos of the area getting out. 99.9% of the interactions I have had w/ employees at UOR have been outstanding and I would hate for them to start doing things (I find silly) to give guest a different experience then I have found on my visits.

Didn't Disney buy Lucas out so they could see what effects were planned for the train ride? (I'm being sarcastic)

This conversation has kinda drifted into the ridiculous:

The competition does not have money to spend on helicopter recon missions; that's kinda ridiculous.

Paying a security guard to tell people to stop taking pictures is way less expensive than building a taller wall.

And sure, trade secrets should be kept behind an enclosed building. But the building isn't enclosed yet, hence this thread!

And it's no big deal if Mark Woodbury is at New Fantasyland. The industry is very small, and everyone knows each other and is friendly. But when it comes to protecting your investments, companies have to do their best, so if that means an employee tells you to stop taking pictures, so be it. :)

This is obscene. You do not have the right to take pictures of Universal's back of house areas. Its private property and you agree to their rules when you buy their ticket. They don't need to build bigger walls because the goal is to obscure the construction from normal guests. If they built bigger walls people would just find a different way to take the pictures. They have an entire security force to help enforce their rules.

Mark Woodbury in Fantasyland? Not a big deal. The Florida theme park industry is not state regulated and because of this they all agree to mutually inspect each other a few times a year. When this happens, employees from Legoland, Universal, Disney, and Busch/Seaworld go to the other parks and inspect the rides, safety features, and back of house areas. They know each others secrets. Maybe it would be a big deal if you went to New Fantasyland and saw Mark Woodbury taking pictures over the wall.

Let's talk why Universal would want to prevent you from taking pictures. First of all, it sways public opinion. Universal is a theme park; their game is theming, the things behind the walls are not finished products and Universal does not want them to representative of the park. If they wanted to show off things beside the magic they would showcase the KUKA arms for HPFJ. Second of all, themepark sites are currently a niche demographic because of these rules and the scarcity of pictures compared to other areas. If pictures are no longer discouraged it allows a lot more people to take pictures and then it becomes a prevalent issue. If the pictures become in the real focus for people looking at planning their vacation they may stop and wonder why they are going now and not waiting 3 years. Not everyone is able to take a vacation every year, some people save up for 5 years to go to Universal Studios. Universal had a very big problem when they announced the WWoHP and all of a sudden their theme park attendance plummeted because no one wanted to come before Potter, they all pushed their vacation plans back until after the opening. That's not good for business and not good money.

In the end, should Universal tell you not to take pictures? Absolutely. Is it their right? Yes. Should we stop taking pictures? No, we just have to be more sneaky. :sneaky:

Let's talk why Universal would want to prevent you from taking pictures. First of all, it sways public opinion. Universal is a theme park; their game is theming, the things behind the walls are not finished products and Universal does not want them to representative of the park. If they wanted to show off things beside the magic they would showcase the KUKA arms for HPFJ.

Ehhh...Disney put holes in their walls for guests to observe construction and it doesn't sway public opinion or "represent" the park. Guests love being able to peek through and see what's coming.

The only reason I think Universal is being so secretive is because of your last point. They don't want to see a huge decline in attendance again.

This is obscene. You do not have the right to take pictures of Universal's back of house areas.

Taking pictures from normal guest areas is not taking back of house area pictures.

Let's talk why Universal would want to prevent you from taking pictures. First of all, it sways public opinion. Universal is a theme park; their game is theming, the things behind the walls are not finished products and Universal does not want them to representative of the park. If they wanted to show off things beside the magic they would showcase the KUKA arms for HPFJ. Second of all, themepark sites are currently a niche demographic because of these rules and the scarcity of pictures compared to other areas. If pictures are no longer discouraged it allows a lot more people to take pictures and then it becomes a prevalent issue. If the pictures become in the real focus for people looking at planning their vacation they may stop and wonder why they are going now and not waiting 3 years. Not everyone is able to take a vacation every year, some people save up for 5 years to go to Universal Studios. Universal had a very big problem when they announced the WWoHP and all of a sudden their theme park attendance plummeted because no one wanted to come before Potter, they all pushed their vacation plans back until after the opening. That's not good for business and not good money.

Please. This is a load of bull. Pictures have never been "discouraged" until Universal got a stick up their butt. No regular guests are taking construction photos. They know its fans sites, and if they had half a brain they'd realize that it does nothing but generate excited for future projects.

- - - Updated - - -

The only reason I think Universal is being so secretive is because of your last point. They don't want to see a huge decline in attendance again.

It wouldn't happen. The theme park fans are the only ones taking pictures of construction, and "normal" people don't care or follow it.

Universal has already confirmed a Potter expansion. Discouraging photos does nothing but piss off fans.

Reactions: Felipe
They don't want us takeing pictures. O.k., post it.

The biggest issue I have with last Saturday's situation is that we were singled out. People taking construction shots all around but yet they made a beeline right for us.

I think it is moderately because we've gotten too good, and I don't just mean OU I mean quite a few sites. Take Simpsons Ride construction for example, we didn't have to be sneaky. Go into the park snap photos, done. Even HHN construction circa 2009, get in line for Disaster, Jaws and ride Simpsons and you had a decent update.

We were knowing too much too fast, so they did build the walls higher and put up scrims. Then we took helicopter rides. Now we're at a point where we're crazy good at guerilla updates. I'm not defending Uni, just saying that we're that good at updates now. :lol:

Last edited:
Regarding Disney/Mine Train construction:

I do find it funny that when the expansion began construction, they added trees to block the view. But with Mine Train, they welcome the sneak peek. :lol:

The biggest issue I have with last Saturday's situation is that we were singled out. People taking construction shots all around but yet they made a beeline right for us.

I don't think having 8 people with cameras in a group taking photos of the same thing help out our situation :pound:

Regarding Disney/Mine Train construction:

I do find it funny that when the expansion began construction, they added trees to block the view. But with Mine Train, they welcome the sneak peek. :lol:

At that, one time I was taking pictures by Pooh and was asked to get off the small wall by Pooh. But I brought that one upon myself. :lol:

I think it has to do with park information than the pictures themselves.
When people are planning vacation they try to find out what is going on.
They surf into this website (and the others)
Pictures of large area's of the park closed for construction do affect the admissions
and Universals bottom line.
Is someone in the General public going to read 1000+ page thread ? No
But when pictures are up on the main page and they can see how much construction is going on
They may say let me wait till all this construction is over.
If you only can come once in a while you want the most for your money
So you will wait for everything to open.
That is why they are not jumping up and down over the free advertising
from web sites like this one.

This maybe the reason the WiFi for the parks has not gone live also.

Last edited:
If this mass amounts of people postponing their vacations was an actual real thing, there's no way Disney World would dare open its "largest" expansion in the middle of a construction zone.

And if it were a serious problem, it would actually be a rule. Instead of just arbitrary enforcement by select security.

If this mass amounts of people postponing their vacations was an actual real thing, there's no way Disney World would dare open its "largest" expansion in the middle of a construction zone.

And if it were a serious problem, it would actually be a rule. Instead of just arbitrary enforcement by select security.

Reel and I were talking about the "Potter dip" in '09, and agreed it had just as much to do with the relative decline and staleness of UOR as Potter. They don't have the same problem now.

Your joking right!! Replying to a quote I made over 8 months ago!! Please stop :horse:

Thanks for the LATE tips!!

Actually the first person to reply to your post was Hockeyman55 and you didn't attack him, so I suspect your real issue is that I don't agree with you

You don't need to be a jerk about it...

Thank you.

Obviously that is the real issue. Private property or not they should be enforcing their polices equally. Failure to do that can end them up in some trouble if someone claims they are being discriminated against (unfortunately forum member is not a protected class)