Universal Parks and Resorts & Facial Technology | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Parks and Resorts & Facial Technology

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This is encouraging, though I suppose we'll see if this remains the case for Epic.

Am I required to use Photo Validation?
Photo Validation is completely optional, and you can choose to opt out if you would like. You may opt-out at Park Entry or you may visit Guest Services before, during, or after your first visit.

If I opt out of Photo Validation, what happens?
If you decide to opt-out of Photo Validation, you will continue to enter the park using the same lanes as guests who do use Photo Validation. However, Adults who decide to opt-out of Photo Validation will be required to present a Photo ID to validate their ticket.

I am wondering if 'photo validation' and 'facial recognition' are two different things. From this WESH2 article:

Crews make progress on groundbreaking Orlando theme park Epic Universe

this is the part that got me to think this:

"Our guests expect us to create as seamless a process as possible," Sprouls said. "So, photo validation, facial recognition, whatever you want to use, is part of that. It's not a requirement. You don't have to have facial recognition, but it does help. We've done this at our park in Bejing. We have facial recognition for everything. You can connect your credit card to your face and basically spend the entire day in the park, without ever having to take anything out of your pocket."

Not sure, but it seems to me that the photo validation shows the attendant a photo of the guest, I would think facial recognition would use AI to do the validation? Maybe photo validation is a way to start testing/fine tuning recognition.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I am wondering if 'photo validation' and 'facial recognition' are two different things. From this WESH2 article:

Crews make progress on groundbreaking Orlando theme park Epic Universe

this is the part that got me to think this:

"Our guests expect us to create as seamless a process as possible," Sprouls said. "So, photo validation, facial recognition, whatever you want to use, is part of that. It's not a requirement. You don't have to have facial recognition, but it does help. We've done this at our park in Bejing. We have facial recognition for everything. You can connect your credit card to your face and basically spend the entire day in the park, without ever having to take anything out of your pocket."

Not sure, but it seems to me that the photo validation shows the attendant a photo of the guest, I would think facial recognition would use AI to do the validation? Maybe photo validation is a way to start testing/fine tuning recognition.
Their own FAQ explains that your photo is tuned into biometric data and read and matched by a computer. It’s just their brand name for facial recognition.

*A TM is checking to ensure you match your photo during this phase one roll out though.

Reactions: Frank Drackman
Right side of the USF turnstiles has these now. Worked really quick, before I even realized what the screen was telling me I was already accepted through

• Love
Reactions: Journey_On
UniversalRBLX posted a link to a news story about the frybot and that story linked to another from December about a new patent and it wasn't shared here.

This way, servers can bring food directly to a guest’s table. Currently, guests have to wait at the counter for their food, carry a device that buzzes when their food is ready for pick up, place a numbered placard or tracking device on their table, or input their table number on the resort app. The new system is designed to remove pressure and anxiety from guests, as well as make finding guests easier for employees.

The system means guests don’t need to be on alert for their food. Plus, if they leave their table and go to the bathroom, the server would know they haven’t left the restaurant.
Have any of those things really been a problem for guests? Legit question. The biggest complaints I see by far are how long it takes to wait for food. Pretty sure I'm going to be on alert for my food anyway.

It's one thing to be recorded by a security camera but it's another to be actively tracked how many times people going to the bathroom or how many bites to finish their food (hyperbolic but stressing the point). I was uncomfortable but understanding for using it to enter the park. Yelling into the wind here but to me being tracked around the restaurant is a bit much.

UniversalRBLX posted a link to a news story about the frybot and that story linked to another from December about a new patent and it wasn't shared here.

Have any of those things really been a problem for guests? Legit question. The biggest complaints I see by far are how long it takes to wait for food. Pretty sure I'm going to be on alert for my food anyway.

It's one thing to be recorded by a security camera but it's another to be actively tracked how many times people going to the bathroom or how many bites to finish their food (hyperbolic but stressing the point). I was uncomfortable but understanding for using it to enter the park. Yelling into the wind here but to me being tracked around the restaurant is a bit much.
I am not sure about Universal as we come as a family of 5 and so we don't all go to the bathroom at the same time. They have table numbers linked to your order, so I am not sure how finding the person is an issue since they know what table to take the food too.

I will say I have had my drink thrown out at a restaurant before not in Universal. I ordered, made my drink, put it down and went to the bathroom. Came out, picked up my food, and my drink was gone. The lady cleaning up was really apologetic and got me a new cup. So I could see that being an issue at Universal too since it takes so long to get your food.

I had a bad experience at Cafe La Bamba where they couldn't find my table so they left my order at the kitchen. Didn't receive any message/updates on the app, when I finally went up to the counter 30 minutes after placing the order, they said they couldn't find me and served me the same bowl that was sitting under a heat lamp. What makes it worse was that the restaurant only had 4-5 tables occupied.

The issue with Universal is that they operate far too many quick service locations in an inefficient way, spreading staff way too thin throughout the parks.

Back to facial rec - system is running far faster now, I believe they've modified the process now as well where the TM can confirm if its you instead of having to wait on the system.

Reactions: Grabnar
Entry facial recognition worked fine all week. Far advanced from a couple of years ago with the hotel express passes. Finger scans rarely worked for us. ....Their security at the parking garage was really touchy though. It was even rejecting belt buckles. It wasn't that touchy in past years. Their antiquated screening really needs an update, like Kennywood did this past year. A really easy, way more modern, system that doesn't get backed up at Kennywood.

Entry facial recognition worked fine all week. Far advanced from a couple of years ago with the hotel express passes. Finger scans rarely worked for us. ....Their security at the parking garage was really touchy though. It was even rejecting belt buckles. It wasn't that touchy in past years. Their antiquated screening really needs an update, like Kennywood did this past year. A really easy, way more modern, system that doesn't get backed up at Kennywood.
Just last night, they only had 2 scanners open with a queue backed up to one of the garages. It was quick, 10 minutes, but security TMs screaming at you with rules and where the line starts is not the proper way to start your visit to the resort. With 3 additional onsite resort hotels coming online next year, with bus drop off at the hub, they really need to figure out a solution to get people through security fast and seamless like at WDW (even SeaWorld has the newer scanners now).

Just last night, they only had 2 scanners open with a queue backed up to one of the garages. It was quick, 10 minutes, but security TMs screaming at you with rules and where the line starts is not the proper way to start your visit to the resort. With 3 additional onsite resort hotels coming online next year, with bus drop off at the hub, they really need to figure out a solution to get people through security fast and seamless like at WDW (even SeaWorld has the newer scanners now).
This is the one area that has regressed from my last visit two years ago. I never had issues before, and every time this vacation. It's a very ancient system that they use and seems to be attuned overly sensitive. And security were the only employees that we encountered that were rude and rarely ever friendly. It was like the old time security from 2010/2013 era. And that's not a good thing. TM's in the park were fine.

Last edited:
As does other regional parks like Dollywood. They did the new scanners last year or the year before. I know I no longer have to take phone out of my pocket and bags are only checked when you fail the scanner which is how I know they are newer. Now I will admit I like the bag Xray vs manual check but the new scanners could mean the xray is only the outliers and not everyone in airport still security lines. Disney springs needs xrays, because when you are stopped it is a VERY long line.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
This is the one area that has regressed from my last visit two years ago. I never had issues before, and every time this vacation. It's a very ancient system that they use and seems to be attuned overly sensitive. And security were the only employees that we encountered that were rude and rarely ever friendly. It was like the old time security from 2010/2013 era. And that's not a good thing. TM's in the park were fine.
USH to me is the same

Not saying all Security people are the same....but they are my least favorite part of going to any theme park

The attitude that I'm in the wrong is what gets me, like I'm paying to be here unless you see something off then don't treat me like a criminal but thats how the tone always comes off whenever they ask me a question about what's in my bag and at this point I know what to say to make it go smoother but still, would not mind less interaction with security people at theme parks

USH to me is the same

Not saying all Security people are the same....but they are my least favorite part of going to any theme park

The attitude that I'm in the wrong is what gets me, like I'm paying to be here unless you see something off then don't treat me like a criminal but thats how the tone always comes off whenever they ask me a question about what's in my bag and at this point I know what to say to make it go smoother but still, would not mind less interaction with security people at theme parks
I had the complete opposite issue at Disney Springs, so they very much could train their employees to be nicer. I was ANNOYED at DS for waiting in this line which I thought they randomly made me go into. That security guard was so patient when I got to him. First off he immediately apologized for the wait, he then explained why I got stopped (scanner went off) and he even helped me discover what went off and how to prevent from being stopped next time (hold glasses case outside of the bag). It couldn't have been a more friendlier and helpful experience. I just don't think Universal trains their security staff to be nice.

I had the complete opposite issue at Disney Springs, so they very much could train their employees to be nicer. I was ANNOYED at DS for waiting in this line which I thought they randomly made me go into. That security guard was so patient when I got to him. First off he immediately apologized for the wait, he then explained why I got stopped (scanner went off) and he even helped me discover what went off and how to prevent from being stopped next time (hold glasses case outside of the bag). It couldn't have been a more friendlier and helpful experience. I just don't think Universal trains their security staff to be nice.
That sounds nice, at least for me its never been anything but just business and no one ever seems happy

At least at USH, Disneyland, Knotts and when I used to go Six Flags (i mean...i get this one, lol) but yeah.

I just want to use more tech for this, scan me and if you see something super off ask me to step aside but most the time would be nice to just walk through and not have to talk to anyone, like how it was pre 2001

100%

I've been stopped before, found it annoying, but the CM was nothing but nice.

I also think they just need a new process/setup for the hub to accommodate how busy the resort is nowadays with a proper queueing setup. You don't need as many Evolv scanners as metal detectors, so you really only space for 4 of them and leave the remaining space as queue.

That sounds nice, at least for me its never been anything but just business and no one ever seems happy

At least at USH, Disneyland, Knotts and when I used to go Six Flags (i mean...i get this one, lol) but yeah.

I just want to use more tech for this, scan me and if you see something super off ask me to step aside but most the time would be nice to just walk through and not have to talk to anyone, like how it was pre 2001
Honestly with the new scanners it is that way at Sea World, Dollywood, and Disney World (at least springs was this way). I don't typically bring my daughters glasses case with me to those parks, I didn't even need it in DS but had it in there from the prior day and forgot.