Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal San Diego park idea

Jul 3, 2021
It would be very cool to finally have a second gate for Universal Studios Hollywood, but the only problems are that the new park would have to end up being placed over the entire Universal film lot, and putting the park on nearby property would be a big no-no. So for my second gate idea, it would be a park placed in San Diego, California, home to other attractions like SeaWorld, Legoland, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Safari Park, and Belmont Park.

I know it would be further away from the Hollywood park, but this problem could be solved by making the USH Annual Passes also good at the new San Diego park.

A new, California division of Universal Parks & Resorts would also be formed, titled "Universal Parks California".

In my idea, the new park would be named "Universal's Worlds of Adventure". It could even just be a moderately different, California version of Islands of Adventure (minus the Marvel land) or a moderately different, California version of Epic Universe.

The park would even have a California version of the Volcano Bay water park.

Finally, some of the lands at the San Diego park would be Seuss Landing, Toon Lagoon, and a Shrek-themed land.

I wonder if Universal ever looked into San Diego as an expansion in California. I think it’s difficult to market the 2 together, as they aren’t THAT close in distance, but if they wanted to expand in California this would likely be their best bet.

I didn't know until the other day that at one point in the 80's Universal almost purchased the SeaWorld parks from Harcourt, but Busch outbid them. I knew they approached Disney first to build Universal Studios as part of WDW, but Disney turned them down, so I assume they looked to buy the SeaWorld parks as a way to expand before deciding to build their own park in Orlando. I'd guess the plan was to rebrand all the SeaWorld parks as "Universal" just like they did with the Spencer stores in malls.

San Diego has a lot going on already so there is competition for the theme park/Waterpark space. Also land is pretty expensive in San Diego so they would have to probably go east to build in the sticks.

San Diego has a lot going on already so there is competition for the theme park/Waterpark space. Also land is pretty expensive in San Diego so they would have to probably go east to build in the sticks.

Admittedly, I would be looking more towards NorCal more than SoCal if Universal wants to expand. Ideally, it has less traffic in the scene, with only Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and California's Great America dominating that area. I can see that if Universal wants to expand into California further; but to not make heavy purchases near the LA or San Diego area, looking upwards and doing a park that'd be more on-par with Universal Orlando Resort's offerings.

I think a USSD park would be magnificent. It would definitely incentivize me to head down there more often.

I do think San Diego (or even closer to the east of San Diego) would be a major boon, as it might be a potential hot spot for travel to those who want to come from south of the border. Even if I think NorCal would be more logistical due to the smaller amount of competition.

I do think San Diego (or even closer to the east of San Diego) would be a major boon, as it might be a potential hot spot for travel to those who want to come from south of the border. Even if I think NorCal would be more logistical due to the smaller amount of competition.
The NorCal market however is absolutely destined for failure. Tourists do not want to go out of their way when visiting the Bay Area to visit other attractions, and its the reason CGA and SFDK is so local dependent. SD would be much more centralized at least in that aspect.

The NorCal market however is absolutely destined for failure. Tourists do not want to go out of their way when visiting the Bay Area to visit other attractions, and its the reason CGA and SFDK is so local dependent. SD would be much more centralized at least in that aspect.

I would argue that we haven't really seen the chance for NorCal to shine properly. That said, another boon that might actually be a thing to think about for SanDiego, is the close proximity to the border, and the potential to use those who are looking for the chance of work visas from Mexico. It'd be a way that Universal may be able to benefit financially and for communities of multiple groups, if they'd ever go with San Diego.

Waiting in a long line at the grocery store this morning I thought of a genius idea that’ll absolutely never happen.

Open Universal San Diego, offering residents passes to both as a special California deal. San Diego is similiar to Orlando in that they are making it a resort destination. Open with 3 hotels, a city walk (or newer concept), and a dry park.

Open the dry park with Pokémon, Zelda, Monsters, Trolls, and Diagon Alley.

Now the fun unrealistic part is....... Hogwarts Express train that is a real train, traveling from San Diego to USH, and back. Minor upcharge for hotel guests, and for non hotel guests it’s a large fee. Imagining the Star Wars hotel but for travel, and it’ll really feel like you’re going to Hogsmeade since it’d be a 2 hour train ride or so.

But, I digress. Time to head home lol

Now the fun unrealistic part is....... Hogwarts Express train that is a real train, traveling from San Diego to USH, and back. Minor upcharge for hotel guests, and for non hotel guests it’s a large fee. Imagining the Star Wars hotel but for travel, and it’ll really feel like you’re going to Hogsmeade since it’d be a 2 hour train ride or so.
The have really good amtrak service between LA snd SD I could see a deal between universal and Amtrak to run a special themed train. certainly a stretch but an interestin idea.

The have really good amtrak service between LA snd SD I could see a deal between universal and Amtrak to run a special themed train. certainly a stretch but an interestin idea.
Yeah I figured there was good train service. It’d be a totally immersive experience similar to what Disney is doing with their hotel, except it’s just a 2-3 hour train ride, admittedly I’m not sure how much time it takes but it would definitely be a set few hours, they could almost make it a show essentially with some dining included and of course, the screened windows. It’d be extremely ambitious

While I'd love a second park in Hollywood, would love if they put a park in SD. Its full of so much to do already and would be perfect for an Epic Universe type theme park (also maybe....maybe push Sea world to invest more into other attractions besides no themed coasters)