Universal Studios & Harry Potter: Endgame? | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios & Harry Potter: Endgame?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

GA-MBIT

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2017
Isle Delfino
Here's a question I have for anyone that might know, I have heard in the past that Universal has a contract with WB/JKR from back around the IoA days that they do not want to renegotiate due to how lopsided the deal would be against Universal, with each of their Florida parks including a large scale themed land with multiple million-dollar attractions. In order to do that, they must continue to expand the Potter offerings at the parks at a decent rate.

I suppose my question is, is it simply going to be Potter forever then? How much more could be done in the existing IoA Hogsmeade plot, and how large could Diagon get under this deal? We already had the attempt with the MoM replacing FFL a few years back, and the Knight Bus has at least been speculated for FnF. EU will cushion the additions a good bit with potential expansions already in place for the years after opening. It's all theme park timescales here too, so this could be decades until it gets to a breaking point of too much Potter, but the question is interesting to me in the same way that the Marvel Contract is.

So longterm, are we in for multiple expanding Potter lands forever? :lmao:

Here's a question I have for anyone that might know, I have heard in the past that Universal has a contract with WB/JKR from back around the IoA days that they do not want to renegotiate due to how lopsided the deal would be against Universal, with each of their Florida parks including a large scale themed land with multiple million-dollar attractions. In order to do that, they must continue to expand the Potter offerings at the parks at a decent rate.

I suppose my question is, is it simply going to be Potter forever then? How much more could be done in the existing IoA Hogsmeade plot, and how large could Diagon get under this deal? We already had the attempt with the MoM replacing FFL a few years back, and the Knight Bus has at least been speculated for FnF. EU will cushion the additions a good bit with potential expansions already in place for the years after opening. It's all theme park timescales here too, so this could be decades until it gets to a breaking point of too much Potter, but the question is interesting to me in the same way that the Marvel Contract is.

So longterm, are we in for multiple expanding Potter lands forever? :lmao:

I think it's unironically interesting to consider, especially in context to more "land-locked" parks, like Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Studios Japan; with how little they have been given substantial new additions outside of small aspects like in JP's case; new live entertainment, or in Hollywood's case with the Lockers now being constructed.

One has to wonder at what point does either of those parks get forced to add new "Potter" to sustain what they currently have.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
The Potter land at EU I believe has an expansion pad in what was originally going to be that VR broomstick ride that was moved from USF to EU before getting canned altogether. But as of now at least, I think Universal tapped all the major locations from the Potter franchise.

Universal Beijing's Potter land has a large plot of land next to it. Maybe that becomes the Ministry of Magic land from EU or depending on when they break ground on it maybe they could pull from a location from the rebooted Potter series on Max depending on how well that does.

From what I understand they have to have something in the works for some Universal park anywhere going all the time. Whether it’s creative stage, more expansions, dining, rides, as long as something keeps getting built than WB is happy. Luckily for Orlando, plenty of space at Epic Universe for expansion, as well as spots to the left and right of Diagon if they wanted it.

It does seem like the Harry Potter lands could continue expanding for a long time based on Universal's existing contract with WB. I'm sure Universal wants to get the most out of that lucrative partnership. Small regular additions like the Knight Bus or new storefronts in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley could certainly stretch things out over many years. And who knows, maybe the popularity of Potter will endure even longer than expected. At the same time, all contracts eventually expire so it will be interesting to see if Universal pursues other large-scale lands once the Potter terms are up. But for now, the magic looks like it will keep growing!

It does seem like the Harry Potter lands could continue expanding for a long time based on Universal's existing contract with WB. I'm sure Universal wants to get the most out of that lucrative partnership. Small regular additions like the Knight Bus or new storefronts in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley could certainly stretch things out over many years. And who knows, maybe the popularity of Potter will endure even longer than expected. At the same time, all contracts eventually expire so it will be interesting to see if Universal pursues other large-scale lands once the Potter terms are up. But for now, the magic looks like it will keep growing!
Well, they could certainly go further with potter. They've only briefly touched up on some of the major areas and activities in potter in the current rides and attractions. From forbidden forest to the actual castle grounds, quidditch, the lake, the Triwizard tournament, the other schools, there's plenty of things that can be expanded upon. Are we sure the remnants of the lost continent are earmarked for a different franchise, at least all of it?

Also, I'm not a huge potter nerd. But, I think it is almost safe to say it has stood the test of time. It's been over 20 years now... It's a modern day Star Wars with it's cultural relevance and how it's being passed down from those who were kids and teens when it came out, down to their children. Its a book series that has outsold LOTR 3-1. The games, the merchandise, the movies... The middle age folk donning capes posing with wands in the middle of Diagon. It's a cultural phenomenon. Potter nerds are the new Star Wars nerds, and the drip of content from that universe is perfect. Not too much, not too little, even with a few bad movies, The works maintain their "gospel". Personally, HP kind of reflects on a cultural level how star wars was passed on to me. I don't know how anyone can doubt it's relevance. Even with J.K saying... Things. And even with the Fantastic Beast snafu, there is still much demand for stories from the world, and there's a demand for people willing to pay to play in it. I think handled properly, the tv series doing work to disseminate all the sub plots in the book and translating them onto tv in the age of streaming is only going to increase its longevity.

As for the contracts, I doubt there's a clause or language there that would allow for either party to say "guess what, Potter is leaving universal and now belongs to Six-Cedar flag fair".

In the realm of theme parks, potter changed the whole game. Let's not forget what we're talking about here... From an underdog to contender, the work Universal put into potter changed the whole game at the high stakes table, Twice...And will do so a third time.

I'm very interested to see what happens when the Potter contract expires - I'd assume WB did not do a Marvel-like deal for those rights. I can't imagine a scenario where either side wouldn't want to renew those IP rights, but I'd assume in renegotiations WB in particular would want a bigger piece. (Zaslav..)

Reactions: tankart150
Even with J.K saying... Things.

Yeah, that's the one thing that gives me the ick factor regarding Potter, supporting it, and thereby supporting her. I'm honestly surprised Universal is risking investing even more money when she's literally one tweet away from being completely canceled. But here we are.

I'm honestly surprised Universal is risking investing even more money when she's literally one tweet away from being completely canceled. But here we are.
Not to derail this thread, but at this point so many people are too attached to HP to care what she says. Sadly, it seems the nostalgia factor will always overpower the fact that someone so hateful benefits from everything in the franchise.

The implications I've got were as long as they build something in any Universal park on a regular basis it keeps the contract in force. It may be that between Orlando, Hollywood, Osaka, Beijing, and Singapore (plus any other parks they may build or add) they have to add SOMETHING either every year, or every two years (not sure). With so many parks they can easily spread things out with years between any park needing to add something, I would guess that upgrading/replacing an attraction (like they did with Hagrid's) fulfills their obligations.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the one thing that gives me the ick factor regarding Potter, supporting it, and thereby supporting her. I'm honestly surprised Universal is risking investing even more money when she's literally one tweet away from being completely canceled. But here we are.
Honestly cancel culture really doesn't effect bottom line a lot of times for companies. How many times is there a boycott for only that place to be even busier. So even if she is cancelled it won't effect the brand to the point that Universal will suffer. Too many people are passing HP down to their kids to really cause the authors words to prevent people from loving the series.

Honestly, almost all companies are evil, if we truly shopped morally you would have a really hard time getting everything you needed.

Well it’s not like they could back out of the deal. Aside from the popularity, they already paid a boatload worth of money for rights, construction, maintenance, etc.

Honestly, almost all companies are evil, if we truly shopped morally you would have a really hard time getting everything you needed.
Case in point, Universal’s main competitor.

So if Rowling gets canceled, is Universal just gonna pull out of their deal and demo all HP lands? No, they won't because Universal and the average guest could care less if she's canceled or about what she says on Twitter. Not to mention how much was invested in bringing this universe to life.

It doesn't matter what happens with Rowling because Universal will still make millions either way.
Case in point, Universal’s main competitor.
The Office Lol GIF

Look. JK Rowling is 58 years old - she's not going to be around forever.

Are people going to wait until she's gone, and then go back to liking HP again? Like others have mentioned - corporations are awful.

I'd be curious to know how much JK even gives input on the parks anymore.

We are getting an HBO show....Potter is going NO where the game sold very very well this year

It will be interesting to see if in the future when they run of out land....if they can "re do" attractions and that would count

I think we should keep in mind that the places we see the most intense rhetoric about these sorts of things (social media) are poor reflections of how people feel about anything. Seeing something trend on Twitter may feel like its providing an insight into how "we" think about something, but I think it's relatively clear that's not the case now, and it probably never was.

I'm skeptical of making grand pronouncements about any art or media's place in history while that history is still being made (today is not yesterday and tomorrow is not today) but currently there's no sign Harry Potter as a franchise is going anywhere.

I can’t stand her.

Personally, there are some instances where I can, and where I can’t seperate things from the art created. Art is meant to be interpreted differently for everyone, in big or small ways. Her face not being involved is much easier for me to separate the world of Harry Potter as a non book reader. Not saying everyone should feel that way though.

I just don’t purchase anything from the Wizarding World. Small thing I don’t need to contribute to.

Look. JK Rowling is 58 years old - she's not going to be around forever.

Are people going to wait until she's gone, and then go back to liking HP again? Like others have mentioned - corporations are awful.

I'd be curious to know how much JK even gives input on the parks anymore.
People would be waiting a long time to enjoy/like HP again :lmao:

• Haha
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I can’t stand her.

Personally, there are some instances where I can, and where I can’t seperate things from the art created. Art is meant to be interpreted differently for everyone, in big or small ways. Her face not being involved is much easier for me to separate the world of Harry Potter as a non book reader. Not saying everyone should feel that way though.

I just don’t purchase anything from the Wizarding World. Small thing I don’t need to contribute to.
I respect that......but I still have to support her because of Hodsmede, the restaurant is one of the better ones at USH

I can’t stand her.

Agreed, people can say one thing and do another.

Take DIsneyland....so many complaints from fans, from Haunted Mansion Holiday sucks to it cost too much....as Disneyland now has no off season and per the last stock meeting the parks are making bank. People have to vote with their wallets or else it kinda doesn't mean much.

Many will say they wont want the new HP show...but I bet it breaks the bank once the HBO show comes out

Well, they could certainly go further with potter. They've only briefly touched up on some of the major areas and activities in potter in the current rides and attractions. From forbidden forest to the actual castle grounds, quidditch, the lake, the Triwizard tournament, the other schools, there's plenty of things that can be expanded upon. Are we sure the remnants of the lost continent are earmarked for a different franchise, at least all of it?

Also, I'm not a huge potter nerd. But, I think it is almost safe to say it has stood the test of time. It's been over 20 years now... It's a modern day Star Wars with it's cultural relevance and how it's being passed down from those who were kids and teens when it came out, down to their children. Its a book series that has outsold LOTR 3-1. The games, the merchandise, the movies... The middle age folk donning capes posing with wands in the middle of Diagon. It's a cultural phenomenon. Potter nerds are the new Star Wars nerds, and the drip of content from that universe is perfect. Not too much, not too little, even with a few bad movies, The works maintain their "gospel". Personally, HP kind of reflects on a cultural level how star wars was passed on to me. I don't know how anyone can doubt it's relevance. Even with J.K saying... Things. And even with the Fantastic Beast snafu, there is still much demand for stories from the world, and there's a demand for people willing to pay to play in it. I think handled properly, the tv series doing work to disseminate all the sub plots in the book and translating them onto tv in the age of streaming is only going to increase its longevity.

As for the contracts, I doubt there's a clause or language there that would allow for either party to say "guess what, Potter is leaving universal and now belongs to Six-Cedar flag fair".

In the realm of theme parks, potter changed the whole game. Let's not forget what we're talking about here... From an underdog to contender, the work Universal put into potter changed the whole game at the high stakes table, Twice...And will do so a third time.
You make some really great points about the continued cultural relevance and longevity of the Harry Potter franchise. 20+ years later and it shows no signs of slowing down across books, films, games, merchandise, etc. The level of detailed world-building and passion of the fanbase ensures there is still plenty of storytelling potential to keep the parks lands fresh and evolving for many years to come.

As you said, Potter changed the theme park game significantly and helped elevate Universal into the top tier. Their multi-land expansions based on the IP were ambitious even for Disney. With the iconic brand recognition and loyal followers, it's a perfect long-term partner for driving attendance.

Unless contract terms change drastically, I don't see Universal giving that up anytime soon either. They've invested enormously to bring the Wizarding World to life. Small regular additions will likely stretch its appeal over multiple generations. Overall the future remains bright for Potter at Universal!