Universal Studios & Harry Potter: Endgame? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios & Harry Potter: Endgame?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I had no idea who Potter was before I made my first trip to Hogsmeade when it opened. Never read a book or saw any of the films. But I was immediately enthralled by it. Even after visiting a zillion times and spending untold hours in Diagon and Hogsmeade, it still feels fresh every time I walk into and experience the lands. Nothing like it in any theme park. I've probably watched all the films now, so I can understand what's happening. I can never have enough 'theme park Potter'. I could care less about Rowling Potter'. And I pay little attention to the social media cliques, and I think most of the general public also ignores those debates, and the cancel culture from all sides of the political/cultural/social spectrum regarding an individual's personal thoughts or positions. Parks are about having fun, not politics. Lots of authors have had thoughts that many considered wrong, but it didn't affect the longevity of their work. Example: Dr. Suess' wife said that he strongly disliked children. Peter Pan's writer has a very dark reputation. Alice In Wonderland's author reputedly also had a dark side. But that hasn't affected the longevity of those 'children's IP's. The list goes on, and on, and on.

Last edited:
I had no idea who Potter was before I made my first trip to Hogsmeade when it opened. Never read a book or saw any of the films. But I was immediately enthralled by it. Even after visiting a zillion times and spending untold hours in Diagon and Hogsmeade, it still feels fresh every time I walk into and experience the lands. Nothing like it in any theme park. I've probably watched all the films now, so I can understand what's happening. I can never have enough 'theme park Potter'. I could care less about Rowling Potter'. And I pay little attention to the social media cliques, and I think most of the general public also ignores those debates, and the cancel culture from all sides of the political/cultural/social spectrum regarding an individual's personal thoughts or positions. Parks are about having fun, not politics. Lots of authors have had thoughts that many considered wrong, but it didn't affect the longevity of their work. Example: Dr. Suess' wife said that he strongly disliked children. Peter Pan's writer has a very dark reputation. Alice In Wonderland's author reputedly also had a dark side. But that hasn't affected the longevity of those 'children's IP's. The list goes on, and on, and on.
It was the same thing with my Brother in Law-- never read or watched any of the Potter stuff, but fell completely under the spell of the lands.

At this point Harry Potter is a case where the idea has moved beyond the author-- it now belongs to more people so despite her views there are still people who love the story. I really don't want to spend any money on Potter stuff knowing she is getting something with each dollar spent, but she also has done a lot of good with her money over the years, giving away millions to worthy causes.

Agreed. Cancel culture is really on the frindges of both parties and most people ignore and hate it. I mean Disney is still fine and it has probably been attacked the most from both sides.

Potter came from the mind of a 30 year old struggling mother with a liberal bent.

Today's JK is not that woman. Seniors seem especially susceptible to loud radical voices.

100%, my father in law and mother are always coming to me with stupid things about my kids school. I tell them all the time, that isn't true and they argue with me. I tell them I know exactly what my kids are being taught and what classes they take. I have 3 kids across multiple grades and know for a fact none of what you are saying is true. Then they start asking more and realize they have been fed a line of BS. The latest was sex ed with my mom and what she overheard in church. I told her I already know what she will learn and it is the same as when I was her age. Did you care back then? No, then why care now? They hear things from "trusted" friends and just take it as fact. I mean this is the same age group that gets scammed the most and when I hear how I am amazed they fell for it. We have taught them all to not do any of that and they have still fallen for minor stuff. Nothing major luckily. I am in my 40s and wonder how dumb I will be in 10 years :lol:

Potter came from the mind of a 30 year old struggling mother with a liberal bent.

Today's JK is not that woman. Seniors seem especially susceptible to loud radical voices.
Good point. Almost all of those far left, anti war and anti everything else, hippies that I knew in college are now extremely conservative in their senior years. Studies show people generally become more conservative once they accumulate more wealth, buy homes, and pay high taxes during their middle and senior ages. It happens with most generations. ...Also....People have lots of different opinions. On some issues they might be on the left, on others in the middle, and other issues on the right. Things aren't always as black and white as the hard core proponents want them to be. And often a compromise is the best solution. Bottom line though, is that Potter fans come from all spectrums and when it comes to theme parks, Potter remains highly successful, regardless of the controversies.

Last edited:
I imagine that the smaller shows could get swapped out/new variations to fulfill the ‘new things every few years’ part of the contract, like how Celestina got a Christmas show between Diagon Alley opening and Hagrid’s.

On the opinions of the author tainting the legacy, I think it’s just a matter of waiting her out. I have friends who are trans that have been turned off by the franchise entirely, and ones who still get a lot out of it. The wands are gonna keep selling, and perhaps one day the person in charge of storytelling in this sandbox will undo some of the damage.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95