Universal Studios Hollywood & Universal Orlando Resort | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Hollywood & Universal Orlando Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
I read an interesting article online today and I'm curious to see what this community thinks of this description of Hollywood:

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/stepping-through-the-mirror-comparing-californias-disney-and-universal-attractions-to-their-orlando-versions/Content?oid=2360668&section=2240407

UNIVERSAL

As a theme park, Universal Orlando is superior to Universal Hollywood in almost every respect, especially with the studio currently a maze of construction walls. Hollywood's handful of rides are all the same or better in Florida, and their unique attractions – like King Kong 360/3-D – often migrate east in improved forms. But the 50-year-old attraction does do a couple of things better than its younger brother:

Universal Experience Museum: This well-curated walk-through exhibit displays artifacts from the studio tour's storied past, including animatronic Cylons and the original Back to the Future DeLorean. USF was rumored to be getting a similar museum for Florida's 25th anniversary, but recent construction permits refer to an "NBC Universal Media Lab" instead, whatever the heck that is.

Super Silly Fun Land: Wanna get wet? USF's Curious George playground (which is likely on the chopping block) is similar to USH's new Despicable Me water playground, but not nearly as cool. Because: Minions!

VIP Tour: I've taken Universal Orlando's VIP tour several times, and while skipping the lines at Potter is nice, it has nothing on Hollywood's VIP service. Orlando can't compete with the opportunity to walk the studio's famous backlot (selfies in front of Hill Valley's courthouse!), but they could give you a gourmet breakfast and lunch and include park admission in the $299 price, like Hollywood does.

Guest recovery: When a ride breaks down at UOR, you're lucky if you get a skip-the-line return ticket. When the same happens at USH, everyone gets free jelly beans! Sometimes, it's the little things.

Do you think this description is fair?

Not really. For them to label our park as inferior because of construction walls just doesn't make sense, especially when the projects behind them are superior versions of Orlando's current venues and attractions. With the exception of Revenge of the Mummy and possibly Transformers, our attraction clones are/were arguably better than theirs.

They list the NBCUniversal Experience and the VIP Tour as things that are done better, but fail to mention the Studio Tour as a flagship attraction that can't be found in any other park? They list SSFL, but not the vastly improved Minion Mayhem experience? Nonsensical to me.

Reactions: BernardMesa
Absolutely unfair. Calling their park "superior" is an unfair choice of words, considering the way both parks were developed completely differently. They're very different and both are good for their own reasons.

Yes our park is small and can be awkward, especially due to its location, but that's what also makes it so cool, it's always been extremely unique.

The Studio Tour is an incredible icon that is a living and breathing attraction. The different animations on the tour are just as cool as stand alone rides. The Studio Tour alone is the one of the reasons USH is one of the most amazing places on earth. Btw...we still have Jaws.

Our Springfield is going to be highly superior in theme and detail. They might have Kang and Kodos, but our Springfield is more immersive, more locations included and more cohesive.

Our Despicable Me area is basically a mini land. Double the capacity, fantastic facades and details, full restaurant, snack counter, Silly Swirly, and Super Silly Fun Land. All superior to the Orlando counterparts.

We might not have an entire Jurassic Park land, but our Jurassic Park River Adventure is superior in many many ways.

Our Transformers has real spinning emergency lights. Orlando has spinning LEDs. And we have a longer indoor queue. Our interactive meet and greet is the best.

Our Wizarding World Hogsmeade will have an improved Ollivanders and upgraded Forbidden Journey. No Dragon Challenge, but who cares. Otherwise almost identical.

We have WaterWorld.

I honestly always hate comparing the two locations. They're so different, but both part of the same family.

As for previous "clones", we had a superior T23D, BTTF, and ET when they were open.

I can only explain for myself and even then it's just explaining a feeling. As themepark I must say I have enjoyed USF more then USH. USH somehow feels small. I like USF's globe more then the one at USH. But I don't think one should call it inferior to USF. Both parks are different and have their own plusses.

I have only visited USH once in 2009 and I have visited USF twice (2008 and 2014). And USF was my very first Universal Studios park so that will also have made a bigger impact on me.

USF has the better Mummy ride.
USH has the advantage of having Jurassic Park in the park (which also the superior version of all 3 in my opinion).
Both parks have the Simpsons ride.

Now one can say that USH is also a movie production "park." The studio tour is part of this. I enjoyed the studio tour but I have the feeling that once you've  seen it, you've seen it for the next couple of years. I think the attractions have more of an appeal to be experienced multiple times.

If I look at the attractions in the parks that I love then USF sticks out with more (I'm not counting Florida's Island of Adventure as part of the park):

USF
T23D
Mummy
Simpsons
Men in Black
(Jaws/)Harry Potter

USH
Mummy (though I prefer the version in USF)
Jurassic Park
Simpsons
House of Horrors (now gone)

Don't think I didn't enjoy USH. I really liked it and had an amazing experience over there. Love to return one day (damn those expensive international flights). But USF made more of an impression and has more attractions that I like. Plus it was my first time and you never forgot your first time... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone wants my opinion, I think it's a gross generalization to label all of Hollywood's attractions as either on-par or inferior to their Florida counterparts. It's dismissive - point blank.

I've never met anyone that believed that Simpsons in Florida is superior to the Simpsons installation in Hollywood. I can get into careless detail, but suffice to say, there's a reason why Japan's Back to the Future's building mimics the design in Hollywood and not Florida. Florida's building is in questionable shape, and its layout is very obviously a first iteration design.

I don't think it's productive to address his other points, but when you label Universal Studios Hollywood as Universal Hollywood and the NBCUniversal Experience as the Universal Experience Museum, well, that's simple research that's obviously been overlooked in order to paint a narrative.

Never mind the fact he's comparing one theme park to a resort and a hotel restaurant to a theme park burger joint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: William
I'll argue this when I have the time to...

This is obviously someone who grew up with USO and did not grow with Universal during the 80's and 90's.

Hollywood built these ideas first.  Orlando expanded upon the originals to create new experiences (Jaws, King Kong, Earthquake)

Hollywood usually gets the copied attractions and the improvements.  Our versions of almost every one of our attractions, past and present are superior to the original attraction built in Orlando first (BTTF, T2:3D, DM:MM, E.T)

When we get the first version built, which is rare, the copy in Orlando is obscure or partially improved (TF, Wild West, Animal Show, Feival's Playground, JP, Hitchcock, Beetlejiuce)

When the attractions are built simultaneously, they all have unique stories about their differences (Shrek 4D, Simpsons, Mummy)

The only thing Orlando has going for it is land which allows them the freedom to build larger and new grand ideas go to them first.  Orlando has space...Hollywood has history.  Orlando would not exist today if it wasn't for Hollywood.

I do agree that Hollywood has always had the feel of a regional theme park, but that is not an excuse when we are built on a parcel of land which has been expanding for 50 years and Orlando 25 years.

Reactions: Allen The Actor