Universal Studios Japan General Discussion | Page 59 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Japan General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What's going on with this park? This seems to be another in a recent line of attractions shutting down (even if this one is a refurb). To put into context, after January the park wont have any of Spider-Man, River Adventure, or Jaws operating on top of some attractions not coming back after the pandemic like T2 and Backdraft. I have to imagine this would become a sore spot for the park's capacity in 2024.

Someone else on Twitter posted a screenshot of their express pass saying that the Jaws refurb is only until Jan. 31. So if true, just a standard refurb.

Fans on Twitter are saying Jaws isn't going anywhere until after JP comes back. Not sure if that's sourced or just speculation.

What's going on with this park? This seems to be another in a recent line of attractions shutting down (even if this one is a refurb). To put into context, after January the park wont have any of Spider-Man, River Adventure, or Jaws operating on top of some attractions not coming back after the pandemic like T2 and Backdraft. I have to imagine this would become a sore spot for the park's capacity in 2024.
My guess is that all the closures and construction are to get new things up and running in time for the 2025 World Expo happening in Osaka (although JP is actually going to miss almost all of the Expo if construction stays as scheduled). I wonder if the Spider-Man replacement will be ready by then (I've heard that it will be a full gut and replace).

Last edited:
Ad in Umeda, Osaka commemorating the closure of The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man (only two months to go).

F_RjstzaUAAuFgc

Someone else on Twitter posted a screenshot of their express pass saying that the Jaws refurb is only until Jan. 31. So if true, just a standard refurb.

Fans on Twitter are saying Jaws isn't going anywhere until after JP comes back. Not sure if that's sourced or just speculation.

My guess is that all the closures and construction are to get new things up and running in time for the 2025 World Expo happening in Osaka (although JP is actually going to miss almost all of the Expo if construction stays as scheduled). I wonder if the Spider-Man replacement will be ready by then (I've heard that it will be a full gut and replace).
I doubt it unless they can somehow pull a USF Transformers situation and put the pedal to the metal once Spiderman goes offline in 2024. Even if it is a full gut and replace, will Pokemon still be using A variant of the SCOOP or will the ride system be entirely different.

The only thing USF could have up and running if the rumors are true is a version of VCMB replacing BackDraft. VCMB is not a large attraction and shouldn't take that long to clone and throw together in the BackDraft plot.

I doubt it unless they can somehow pull a USF Transformers situation and put the pedal to the metal once Spiderman goes offline in 2024. Even if it is a full gut and replace, will Pokemon still be using A variant of the SCOOP or will the ride system be entirely different.

The only thing USF could have up and running if the rumors are true is a version of VCMB replacing BackDraft. VCMB is not a large attraction and shouldn't take that long to clone and throw together in the BackDraft plot.
Villain con is 2025, Pokémon is 2026,

Kind of encouraging Pokémon is going to take a bit to redo. Seems like a lot more possibly with this ride than a Spidey overlay.
Maybe Pokemon uses the next gen SCOOP found on the USB Jurassic World attraction with the lowered sightlines allowing for larger more immersive sets couple with those AR/VR visors trickled down from MK.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Maybe Pokemon uses the next gen SCOOP found on the USB Jurassic World attraction with the lowered sightlines allowing for larger more immersive sets couple with those AR/VR visors trickled down from MK.
I can see that. I suspect also if there’s any AR involved they need to work that tech out.

I can see that. I suspect also if there’s any AR involved they need to work that tech out.
Could the Pokemon attraction that USJ is getting possibly be ported the US parks could get assuming a deal gets cut with the Pokemon Company to bring Pokemon to USF and USH? After hearing about what Japan is getting, I would hope USF and possibly USH would get something more substantial and thrilling than the original rumored Pokemon Snap attraction.

No. The tracked Pokémon RV is in partnership with Sansei

No. The tracked Pokémon RV is in partnership with Sansei
Here's a look at some of the Sansei dark ride vehicles (trackless/tracked/omnimover).
I see Universal is still hesitant to go trackless. That said after looking at the tracked vehicle in the link provided, it looks like Pokemon depending on how much ride vehicles they run at a time will be much lower capacity then Spiderman and obviously be less intense. I would have preferred if they used the trackless Sansei RV.

I see Universal is still hesitant to go trackless. That said after looking at the tracked vehicle in the link provided, it looks like Pokemon depending on how much ride vehicles they run at a time will be much lower capacity then Spiderman and obviously be less intense. I would have preferred if they used the trackless Sansei RV.
for what it's worth, the theoretical capacity given by Sansei is higher for the tracked attraction (480-1500) than trackless (480-960).

for what it's worth, the theoretical capacity given by Sansei is higher for the tracked attraction (480-1500) than trackless (480-960).
Oh. Can the tracked vehicle be scaled up to hold more than four guests? But just the fact they are doing away with the SCOOP makes me think this could be perceived as a downgrade to Spiderman. Lets hope Pokemon can hold it's own with the updated visuals and VR.

Just realized that once Spiderman departs, USJ will be the only Universal park worldwide (not counting Frisco) that won't have a SCOOP dark ride. Hopefully they will get another one down the line the hopefully uses the next gen model on Ministry of Magic.

Also since VCMB is replacing Backdraft will the USJ port be an expanded version considering that the backdraft building appears bigger than SS 40 and they won't be sharing the space with a black box that is apparently useless?