Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 246 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it’s a water park so why not fill it with real themed rides that get you drenched in addition to the slides?

I really really really love the idea but I kinda think its more so due to the cost it takes to operate and maintain vs traditional water slides. Its requires way more engineers and maintainers on hand if something goes wrong with those than what a traditional water park deals with. There is very little chance of someone getting stuck on a waterslide with no way out, a ride like Dudley gets stuck you have to wait for a lot more people and that ride is now out of operation for such and such time. That water park roughly would be the same price as one day at USF vs the discounted price VB is for one day.

Reactions: Mike S
I really really really love the idea but I kinda think its more so due to the cost it takes to operate and maintain vs traditional water slides. Its requires way more engineers and maintainers on hand if something goes wrong with those than what a traditional water park deals with. There is very little chance of someone getting stuck on a waterslide with no way out, a ride like Dudley gets stuck you have to wait for a lot more people and that ride is now out of operation for such and such time. That water park roughly would be the same price as one day at USF vs the discounted price VB is for one day.
I’d just like to see that kind of next level water park and would have no problem paying for it. I’d like to set aside a day where I don’t care about getting wet but I also don’t sacrifice the more complicated rides I love.

Someone has to do this eventually. It’s pretty much an untapped market.

I’d just like to see that kind of next level water park and would have no problem paying for it. I’d like to set aside a day where I don’t care about getting wet but I also don’t sacrifice the more complicated rides I love.

Someone has to do this eventually. It’s pretty much an untapped market.
Maybe it's an untapped market for a reason.

Maybe it's an untapped market for a reason.

giphy.gif

Allow me to be blunt, I think asking for a water-park filled with just water rides (Log flumes, water coasters (like the Intamin kind), river rapids, and likewise) is a bit..impossible, considering the odds.

I think, if we'd ever see a water-based attraction, it wouldn't be what would be expected for a theme park. And to be honest, I'd think that'd be more niche than a boutique theme park.

What I think would be a good goal, is to make a water-park that can be done all day, and that it can be something that doesn't feel like a generic water-park, or hell, even water parks like Vol, Aquatica, and the WDW water parks.

I think, they need to find the balance, to make something that can be completely immersive and inclusive, while also offering a variety of attractions for everyone in the family. Hell, maybe even something that may be of a different take of a lazy river, to where it has slide-elements embedded within the lazy river, to get people from one area to another, almost like what Wild Wadi has in Dubai would be different enough from the rest.

Reactions: Magic-Man

To be honest, If this is how Universal would handle theming flat rides for Gate 4, then sign me up. It looks great, has a lot of movement from the "sled" cars, the moving part's in-between, and other aspects.

You know what? I'd actually like that in the new park. Looks fun!

giphy.gif

Allow me to be blunt, I think asking for a water-park filled with just water rides (Log flumes, water coasters (like the Intamin kind), river rapids, and likewise) is a bit..impossible, considering the odds.

I think, if we'd ever see a water-based attraction, it wouldn't be what would be expected for a theme park. And to be honest, I'd think that'd be more niche than a boutique theme park.

What I think would be a good goal, is to make a water-park that can be done all day, and that it can be something that doesn't feel like a generic water-park, or hell, even water parks like Vol, Aquatica, and the WDW water parks.

I think, they need to find the balance, to make something that can be completely immersive and inclusive, while also offering a variety of attractions for everyone in the family. Hell, maybe even something that may be of a different take of a lazy river, to where it has slide-elements embedded within the lazy river, to get people from one area to another, almost like what Wild Wadi has in Dubai would be different enough from the rest.

:agree: I also think that they get a ton of slides. We can't have another VB situation on our hands.

:agree: I also think that they get a ton of slides. We can't have another VB situation on our hands.

I think the focus they need, if they do a second water park, is improving and adding onto what was done for infastructure and technology from Vol, and applying it to be more streamlined. Not just for the second water-park, but UOSouth in General.

Honestly, I believe Universal can do it, and do it in a way that is great in many ways. It just comes down to R&D IMO.

Reactions: Magic-Man

To be honest, If this is how Universal would handle theming flat rides for Gate 4, then sign me up. It looks great, has a lot of movement from the "sled" cars, the moving part's in-between, and other aspects.
They honestly just need to delete Shrek and move forward with Minion Ave....Not saying it's for sure, but I like what they have at USJ

Reactions: Andysol
I am very intrigued at @Mike S ’s idea for a water park with no water slides, only rapids, flume, and other water attractions that you would usually find in major theme parks. I don’t think a true point has been made against this idea, people just tell him that it would never happen without actually saying why. Personally, I find water slides to feel dangerous and (for the most part) boring and same-y. Water attractions have a clear identity that slides lack, so while the theming of Volcano Bay is great to see from the outside, while you’re on the actual slides there is no identity but a colored tube.

Yeah, because no one wants to put up the money for this kind of park. It’s pretty sad imo. It would probably be the most attended water park in the world.

The big problem with this is that water parks are no where near as popular as theme parks. If TEA numbers are to be believe, Typhoon Lagoon gets about 1/4 of the attendance that Hollywood Studios gets.

So it would be logical to assign that kind of water park 25% of the budget of a theme park plus you can't charge a $100 a day like you do for a theme park, Volcano Bay commands about $65.

The risk would be ridiculous for an unproven concept. To test the waters, this needs to be a water park with a few theme park type rides not a theme park with a few water slides.

I am very intrigued at @Mike S ’s idea for a water park with no water slides, only rapids, flume, and other water attractions that you would usually find in major theme parks. I don’t think a true point has been made against this idea, people just tell him that it would never happen without actually saying why. Personally, I find water slides to feel dangerous and (for the most part) boring and same-y. Water attractions have a clear identity that slides lack, so while the theming of Volcano Bay is great to see from the outside, while you’re on the actual slides there is no identity but a colored tube.

You just said the major argument: they're already in major theme parks. Probably including the new park.

You just said the major argument: they're already in major theme parks. Probably including the new park.
Many people skip them at theme parks because they don’t want to get wet, especially during winter. A water attraction filled park could open seasonally and the space taken by the attractions at theme parks can be used for more dry attractions.

Many people skip them at theme parks because they don’t want to get wet, especially during winter. A water attraction filled park could open seasonally and the space taken by the attractions at theme parks can be used for more dry attractions.

You still need them in the dry parks, however. Especially in Florida. And I'd rather go to a park filled with water slides than water rides.

I never said no slides, just that it would also be full of theme park level water rides.

The most recent time I’ve been to Typhoon Lagoon I was done with the park in barely 2 hours. Slides are fun but they’re over in seconds.

I never said no slides, just that it would also be full of theme park level water rides.

The most recent time I’ve been to Typhoon Lagoon I was done with the park in barely 2 hours. Slides are fun but they’re over in seconds.

Okay, now that I can accept. Have a water coaster (intamin) and a couple of rapids rides that interact with the lazy rivers? That'd be awesome.

The bad thing is: people will try to go on the rides with no shirt, and then complain about the restraints.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Okay, now that I can accept. Have a water coaster (intamin) and a couple of rapids rides that interact with the lazy rivers? That'd be awesome.

The bad thing is: people will try to go on the rides with no shirt, and then complain about the restraints.

I should remind people that Dudley didn't have restraints for the first ten years of operations. Most flume style rides don't require lapbar/harness, its more so rapid rides that do but most could get away with just lapbar.

Water parks are meant to be a more relaxing day. Lie in the sun, swim in the wave pool and you generally don’t have as big of a wait time which can justify the smaller ride time.

Water parks can provide just as much of a thrill, hell, there’s water slides I wouldn’t go near but pretty much every theme park ride is fair game. Slides also offer a bit more variety as you can make them more or less intense depending on how you ride.

I think the reason why this is engaging a lot of opinion is because when Universal announced they were building a water theme park, people probably expected more and there is definitely an evolutionary step to be made in water parks

Status
Not open for further replies.