Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As per midway mayhems 's recent upload, I don't quite get the use of scaffolding planks as a permanent structure. Easy to disassemble for sure.
Maybe one of you wizards could post the you tube link. Has some good HP coaster footage too.

I have no clue, if it's permanent it's weird but I could see it being a value engineering choice. No need to build a massive structure like WoC if there's no earthquakes and it doesn't have to raise and lower. The access platforms make me think it'll have to have to be accessed frequently, maybe for pyro?

Reactions: Andysol
I have no clue, if it's permanent it's weird but I could see it being a value engineering choice. No need to build a massive structure like WoC if there's no earthquakes and it doesn't have to raise and lower.
Even minor wave action could dislodge them I would think. If they are aluminum.

Reactions: Andysol
I imagine the current platforms could be temporary and just for installation purposes.

Oh, also, I think FL is very dry right now. I am 200 miles south, but the lake/canal/SFWMD/ArmyCore/water retention thingie in the back yard is at a water level that is at least a foot below what is was last month...a good three feet lower than when we had same crazy rain event last year!

This project is exciting. It keeps getting more and more curious.

At first everyone thought it was going to be a quick replacement that would likely only be marginally better than the previous iteration.

Now- we have a huge viewing/sitting area being constructed, the barges are gone, platforms being built in the middle of the lake and even the projection stands are being- at a minimum, rethemed- and at most torn down completely.

When first announced, my expectations were very low considering UORs nighttime track record. But this has been a welcome surprise.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's temporary?

Because that type of scaffolding is used as temporary scaffolding in the industry because it is easy to assemble and easy to take apart. If it's what it looks like from the pics, it just has wedges drove in to hold the pieces together. If they wanted to build a permanent underwater structure, there are better ways to do it.

Because that type of scaffolding is used as temporary scaffolding in the industry because it is easy to assemble and easy to take apart. If it's what it looks like from the pics, it just has wedges drove in to hold the pieces together. If they wanted to build a permanent underwater structure, there are better ways to do it.
Ditto.

Reactions: Joel
Those scaffolding planks only have two hooks per end to hang them. If you are welding them that is the most funky, cheapo thing I have ever seen. Doubt the manufacturer specs cover it.
Not to mention that underwater aluminum welding is spendy. Like requires a chamber. Ask the navy.

Last edited:
My take...these are temporary for construction. If permanent they would have powder coated to obscure them. Even with the water back in you could see the shiny aluminum. Not to mention the temp nature of the material.:spit:

Reactions: Joel and Mad Dog
Bio mentioned something about welding, so I'm not sure. I could see this another testing thing just like they did with the Diagon dragon.
Without going too off topic, can you explain the Diagon dragon test?

The scaffolding appears to be the same scaffolding they used on the old barges/cinespheres...It is new, of course, but it appears to be made of the same stuff

I think it's permanent