Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

IoA park vertical construction was around two years, I imagine they'll do the ceremony in early 2021. 2020 will be for roads and other infrastructure, similar to how before IoA they were working on the parking garages and such.
The fun stuff should go up relatively "quickly"...It's all the dang infrastructure stuff that is tricky

IoA park vertical construction was around two years, I imagine they'll do the ceremony in early 2021. 2020 will be for roads and other infrastructure, similar to how before IoA they were working on the parking garages and such.

I think we should be looking at Beijing for a modern example of this. They went vertical last year (or two years ago, for those reading this in 2020), and they're opening in Summer 2021. That would put a groundbreaking at late next year (or this year?) for Epic Universe.

The big question is, could we start even earlier than Beijing? That park is mostly clones after all. This park is almost entirely new.

Last edited:
I think we should be looking at Beijing for a modern example of this. They went vertical last year (or two years ago, for those reading this in 2020), and they're opening in Summer 2021. That would put a groundbreaking at late next year for Epic Universe.

The big question is, could we start even earlier than Beijing? That park is mostly clones after all. This park is almost entirely new.
Id think they start earlier because of this, so ya. New technology in every land being put to use, no repeat lands other than SNW, brand new theming they haven’t done before, its an entire park full of things they haven’t really tackled before on this scale minus the Wizarding World, so now they’re doing an entire park to that quality. I’d think, they’d give themselves more time and go vertical a tad more early than late 2020, I’d think summer makes more sense since I’d think the bulk work for JP coaster is finished and they can move crews over from there and Dockside to help out.

I can feel the frustration already when a year before opening, the majority of the showbuildings are complete along with most of the coasters.

Hulk and DC had their track complete a year before the park opened.

I can feel the frustration already when a year before opening, the majority of the showbuildings are complete along with most of the coasters.

Hulk and DC had their track complete a year before the park opened.

Oh boy, you think that's bad? Beijing completed their coasters in mid-2019. Two years before opening lmao. I imagine it'll be the same here, and coaster enthusiasts like myself will be angry.

Seeing that new dueling coaster at Epic for 2 years will drive me absolutely insane. Especially if I follow through and end up moving to the Dr Phillips area and have to possibly drive by this often. My lord, help me.

Clone versus new has no bearing on how long it takes to build. The project timetable and availability of resources are what matter to construction speed.

Transformers didn’t go up in 14 months because it was a clone. It went up in 14 months because Universal paid for round the clock construction.

Clone versus new has no bearing on how long it takes to build. The project timetable and availability of resources are what matter to construction speed.

Transformers didn’t go up in 14 months because it was a clone. It went up in 14 months because Universal paid for round the clock construction.

Transformers was also the only major ride being built at its respective park at the time. This park is 90% new rides.

That's not strictly true. New rides can have issues regardless of it is a clone or not but the clone will be able to avoid the issues from the first build.

When Rise of the Resistance opens in DLP, it should be a shorter built because I assume most of the issues should be worked out by then.

Transformers was also the only major ride being built at its respective park at the time. This park is 90% new rides.

Diagon Alley was being built at the same time.

That's not strictly true. New rides can have issues regardless of it is a clone or not but the clone will be able to avoid the issues from the first build.

When Rise of the Resistance opens in DLP, it should be a shorter built because I assume most of the issues should be worked out by then.

That's not what Legacy is saying, he's talking about construction times of things that are being built for the first time vs second or third. It's still all new in that location and takes time. As he said the ultimate factor in the end is resources. Even Islands was constructed when two other parks (DAK and Discovery Cove) were in various stages of construction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Only in the broadest sense. Many of those “issues” are found after construction is complete and addressed before construction begins elsewhere; they become changes in the design themselves rather than the construction.

The act of construction, and the time it takes doesn’t “change” though.

If it takes a 12 person team, working 8 hours a day, 4 months to build a house, it will take that team 4 months to build another identical house. Only more people or longer days will change that.

I think the arguments are this is a new type of house that isn't identical it's a house that never has been built before. I'm sure it wouldn't be a huge difference but probably a small difference.