Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 174 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I’m not a DVC expert, but Universal absolutely should be doing something similiar. Their hotel offerings are already cheaper. With the new park, they’re really able to easily convince people to spend a week there, especially if hotels are cheaper. Plus you don’t need a boat, skyliner, and/or bus to get around. Everything is either going to be at your hotel, within walking distance, or 1 bus ride. The resort is much more concise.

I’d 100% become a vacation club member. They should seriously consider this option. Disney have not much for rest of the decade and Universal can really easily shift crowds their direction if they tried.
absolutely not. That is the bigger harm and excuse not to invest more when you know you have mandatory visitors to get a return on their prepaid for the next 20 years hotel room investment

We already know from the SWGE fiasco that APs won't just take a $200+ price increase and increased blackouts lightly, and still pay up for 1-day ticket to get into the land (especially in Orlando where income is far below SoCal). You can easily make it a 1-day ticket only thing for the first 3 weeks (along with anyone staying at a UOR hotel), and then slowly bring in each AP level week after week with reservations for the first few months.
Not sure I agree here. Unlike DLR APs, UOR APs have traditionally been underpriced. And from the previews EU looks to deliver in a way Pew Pew Land could not. I'd add that UOR avoided reservations at the height of COVID, when (according to reliable people on Magic), WDW was convinced they'd have to implement them. As I've said of other things, it's just not in their corporate DNA. Maybe (big maybe) they do day-only tickets for a month or so, but that's both a customer service black eye with the demo that built that park and a significant loss of potential revenue from upgraded AP sales ala Volcano Bay.

In the end, months of soft opens might lessen demand a bit. (Opening day of Hogsmeade the only exception here, but that was at the height of the Cult of Potter, and it settled down to just insanely busy within weeks.) The seemingly inevitable recession might alleviate crowds a bit, as well. And don't forget, Universal wants 5-hour lines opening day, that's what gets them media coverage up north. After that, crowd psychology will work things out.

Not sure I agree here. Unlike DLR APs, UOR APs have traditionally been underpriced. And from the previews EU looks to deliver in a way Pew Pew Land could not. I'd add that UOR avoided reservations at the height of COVID, when (according to reliable people on Magic), WDW was convinced they'd have to implement them. As I've said of other things, it's just not in their corporate DNA. Maybe (big maybe) they do day-only tickets for a month or so, but that's both a customer service black eye with the demo that built that park and a significant loss of potential revenue from upgraded AP sales ala Volcano Bay.

In the end, months of soft opens might lessen demand a bit. (Opening day of Hogsmeade the only exception here, but that was at the height of the Cult of Potter, and it settled down to just insanely busy within weeks.) The seemingly inevitable recession might alleviate crowds a bit, as well. And don't forget, Universal wants 5-hour lines opening day, that's what gets them media coverage up north. After that, crowd psychology will work things out.
UOR APs are cheaper than WDW's, but on a per park basis they're actually a bit more expensive (using 2-park since VB tickets are priced lower than dry park tickets). And remember, the bottom two APs don't include parking at UOR, while all APs at WDW do.

Once Epic opens, UOR's AP program will more than likely match & exceed WDW's pricing at some levels. (My estimate below just assumes what UOR believes is the AP value per park and adds Epic + rounds it to nearest $10).

1718979442151.png

I do agree that Universal doesn't care too much about over-crowding, but there is a point where it becomes a bit too much. A 5 to 10-hr wait for Hagrid's was fine, but should be a scenario to avoid for multiple attractions at the park.

And even if they are ok with large crowds... their staffing levels won't be able to support it.

I'd add that UOR avoided reservations at the height of COVID, when (according to reliable people on Magic), WDW was convinced they'd have to implement them. As I've said of other things, it's just not in their corporate DNA.
1718980751029.png

AP admissions will probably going to come down to what they need to do as opposed to what they want to do. The reality is that Epic doesn’t really have a lot of rides and a good number of them are on the low throughout / could have technical issues in the beginning end of the spectrum.

I don’t know where that came from besides people being overall anxious and pessimistic.
I’ve heard it explicitly. But I think it keeps getting taken out of context. They could pull the lever to make APs available that include Epic as soon as they want, but will sell tickets first. If ticket sales are lower than projected, AP upgrades probably become available even before Epic opens. If tickets for first week sell out, maybe they wait until they stop selling out.

But just because this was one idea they’ve had doesn’t mean it’ll happen.

I’m much more concerned with the possible plan to only sell tickets to Epic’s opening weeks as multi-day passes, requiring you to purchase tickets to USF/IOA just to get one to visit Epic Universe. If there’s going to be backlash, I’d rather focus our energy on that concept, because tickets to the original parks are useless to passholders.

Every idea I catch wind of seems like they’re trying to bend over backwards to NOT implement park reservations, by limiting ticket types or who can buy tickets or when. But we’ll see what they ultimately go with.

The recent changes to the ticketing page on the site tells me we may know sooner than we think.

I'm getting antsy to book my 11 month window for my DVC home resort......we're looking at end of May 2025 right now. I think that I will shoot for mid-June and pray that Epic is open by then.

I don't plan on visiting any Disney parks on my trip.
Same, but we're targeting December 2025. We'll be doing a split stay at home, and (fingers and toes crossed) Helios. It'll be my parents first onsite stay at a Universal resort so I want to make it as awesome as possible, if we can grab a room. I'm assuming it'll be hard but I'm used to crazy Disney booking requirements and hoping that helps.

Reactions: mainejeff
I’m hoping Passholders get early access to buy opening week tickets as a consolation to not being able to upgrade our pass initially at least.

And of course previews. Hard to be mad if we can’t upgrade initially if they let us in free once.
Are previews rumored to be AP only before the official opening day?

As I said before, I'm staying away from the grand opening early months. All I can see is a vacation guest nightmare, between crowds, probable operational issues with the very high tech dark rides, and lack of capacity. I'll leave the park to the Florida locals that can visit a day or two without too much aggravation, contrary to the chaos a vacation tourist will probably experience. My 2025 plan is to vacation for Mardi Gras, which will be extended into late April due to a late Easter, and probably have some really good hotel rates due to Epic opening soon thereafter in May/June/July. Then we'll go back in November for a vacation that will include Epic, which should be running smoothly, and less crowded, by then. I'll leave the opening for the brave fans who love grand openings of attractions/parks. I'm a patient person. :cool:

I don't think they want Hogsmeade size lines. While Universal doesn't shy away from long lines, a lot of people didn't plan trips for awhile because they saw that and went nope, not going thru that insanity just to enter a park. They have been talking about recession for 2 years, experts are now saying the chances for one have dropped a lot. People are still spending. I just had this conversation with my friend about how she hears about a slow economy but doesn't actually see it when out and about. The only thing I have seen is the post-covid bump in travel is starting to even out. Annual places we go that crowds were insane post covid are now starting to return to normal. But that had to be expected. People were traveling so much because they couldn't travel during covid. So all those missed vacations were being made up.

UOR APs are cheaper than WDW's, but on a per park basis they're actually a bit more expensive (using 2-park since VB tickets are priced lower than dry park tickets). And remember, the bottom two APs don't include parking at UOR, while all APs at WDW do.

Once Epic opens, UOR's AP program will more than likely match & exceed WDW's pricing at some levels. (My estimate below just assumes what UOR believes is the AP value per park and adds Epic + rounds it to nearest $10).

View attachment 22294

I do agree that Universal doesn't care too much about over-crowding, but there is a point where it becomes a bit too much. A 5 to 10-hr wait for Hagrid's was fine, but should be a scenario to avoid for multiple attractions at the park.

And even if they are ok with large crowds... their staffing levels won't be able to support it.
Yep, I said this before Universal isn't as cheap as everyone makes it out to be and once they add a 3rd park it will increase and get closer to Disney. I paid an arm and a leg for Premium passes for my family of 5. If we did Disney we would have gotten Pirate, paid the same arm and leg but got 4 parks. I got Premium for express, not no black out dates. I typically don't want to go when we are blacked out.
I’m hoping Passholders get early access to buy opening week tickets as a consolation to not being able to upgrade our pass initially at least.

And of course previews. Hard to be mad if we can’t upgrade initially if they let us in free once.
This is the key. If they give Passholders enough preview days I think we will all be fine. But if they don't and then not offer an upgrade I know a large chunk of friends that would cancel their passes when that is announced. Also, I think most want more than 1 day. I would assume this needs to be in soft openings for a month or more to really work out all the kinks. So I would hope that we could get more than a day.

As I said before, I'm staying away from the grand opening early months. All I can see is a vacation guest nightmare, between crowds, probable operational issues with the very high tech dark rides, and lack of capacity. I'll leave the park to the Florida locals that can visit a day or two without too much aggravation, contrary to the chaos a vacation tourist will probably experience. My 2025 plan is to vacation for Mardi Gras, which will be extended into late April due to a late Easter, and probably have some really good hotel rates due to Epic opening soon thereafter in May/June/July. Then we'll go back in November for a vacation that will include Epic, which should be running smoothly, and less crowded, by then. I'll leave the opening for the brave fans who love grand openings of attractions/parks. I'm a patient person. :cool:
I’m same. I’m hoping next January/February for me but would settle for April. Then I make that my routine vacation moving forward meaning 2026 for Epic for me. We’ll see.

USF needs Pokemon to be very good though if that and a coaster is it for a minute. I don’t doubt it can be god tier, but we need hope that’s their aim as well. Night show is encouraging to me though that they do care about USF and it’s offerings.

If everything is on the table then offering upgrades on day one makes sense.

I'd really be surprised if they offered APs access the first week/month/couple months. There's going to be plenty of demand. Giving AP's access to discounted tickets or earlier access to buy them I could see. I could even see them selling AP's but having them blacked out till the initial rush is over. People who are going to buy APs aren't going to not buy them because they can't use them the first month. They'll either wait or they'll buy tickets.