Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 100 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The act of shutting down an entire land (which will probably end up being Nintendo or Potter) while the rest of the park is open, is a despicable practice.

Complain all you want about Disney, but they at least try to keep the parks open past 8 PM with the exception of DAK. Universal is closing IOA/USF before 8 PM on weekdays now with the occasional early closures during weekends as well. You would think they would try to keep the parks open a bit later for local APs that they have been gaining these past few years now.

Hopefully Universal can take these next few years in the lead-up to Epic to improve their ops a bit more.

What they might end up doing is selling reduced priced tickets for convention goers (show your convention ticket to get discount) and tickets are valid after a certain time. Say from 5pm to close
The surprising thing is that they already do this, so it makes me wonder why this point has been stressed multiple times (maybe they plan to take it further?)

That quote could be taken a couple of ways. The simplest way is just that the park has a hub design where you don't have to walk through one land to get to another as you do in IOA and USF. I definitely don't see them doing a pick and choose type ticketing system. That would just add headaches for entrances into each land having to check each guest before they can enter. At most they might do a appointment time you can reserve to enter a land to prevent over crowding.

Edit: In fact I am trying to recall another park with a true hub layout and can't. None of Disney's parks do. Magic Kingdom is a wheel and spoke design. Animal Kingdom, Epcot, IOA, USF all have a circular layouts where each land/area leads into another.

Last edited:
Reactions: alias8703
Convention goings have an almost unlimited spending budget as CEO's and other high ups will be there and can stay in expensive rooms and restaurants with no money of their own. Universal will make the hub classy with (I think) at least 2 high end restaurants that will be very desirable (food an theming wise). The fact they spent extra $$$ to elevate that whole area is a plus for every guest. I think that is what Universal is going for.

Convention goings have an almost unlimited spending budget as CEO's and other high ups will be there and can stay in expensive rooms and restaurants with no money of their own. Universal will make the hub classy with (I think) at least 2 high end restaurants that will be very desirable (food an theming wise). The fact they spent extra $$$ to elevate that whole area is a plus for every guest. I think that is what Universal is going for.
It's a great marketing play. I wouldn't doubt that Universal has plans for a (free?) dedicated shuttle service back and forth from the convention center just for that.

It's a great marketing play. I wouldn't doubt that Universal has plans for a (free?) dedicated shuttle service back and forth from the convention center just for that.
Why? People going to the convention center probably just take a taxi. That group doesn't need a deal or freebee, they want top restaurants and locations. A walkable connection could be an option depending if the train station will go behind the convention center (if that thing is still coming) but that would be it imho.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I don't get all the hate here. Parks already close early for private events. With this park they can keep the park open later and just close one land instead of closing the whole park at 4 or 5. Disney and universal both do the random early close on parks for private events. This allows them the flexibility to extend park hours and just close one land instead of the whole park.

I don't get all the hate here. Parks already close early for private events. With this park they can keep the park open later and just close one land instead of closing the whole park at 4 or 5. Disney and universal both do the random early close on parks for private events. This allows them the flexibility to extend park hours and just close one land instead of the whole park.
Agreed. Further, they can keep the hub area open longer than the all the lands even when not having private events, to give guests longer to eat dinner without leaving to spend money elsewhere on food.

They certainly have flexibility with the set up that is unique.

Agreed. Further, they can keep the hub area open longer than the all the lands even when not having private events, to give guests longer to eat dinner without leaving to spend money elsewhere on food.

They certainly have flexibility with the set up that is unique.
....and could have different hours for different lands, especially in relation to the attendance season.

The additional hotel rooms and the additional numbers of guests expected may mean it's finally going to make more financial sense for the existing parks to remain open later.

We all think of Disney as ALWAYS having had the hours they currently do, but that's not the case. When it was just Magic Kingdom and even when Epcot Center opened they ran similar hours to what Universal currently does. It's only after they added a third park and expanded the number of hotels that it became feasible (and necessary) to keep parks open 16-20 hours a day. Of course that's also when maintenance started suffering because there's no downtime.

I think we'll see EU ending up running later hours than Islands and US simply because they won't have a CityWalk for guests to empty into (and spend more money) when they close. The Hub area will essentially be the CityWalk and stay open later than the lands for dining and shopping as well as for hotel guest access.

That quote could be taken a couple of ways. The simplest way is just that the park has a hub design where you don't have to walk through one land to get to another as you do in IOA and USF. I definitely don't see them doing a pick and choose type ticketing system. That would just add headaches for entrances into each land having to check each guest before they can enter. At most they might do a appointment time you can reserve to enter a land to prevent over crowding.

Edit: In fact I am trying to recall another park with a true hub layout and can't. None of Disney's parks do. Magic Kingdom is a wheel and spoke design. Animal Kingdom, Epcot, IOA, USF all have a circular layouts where each land/area leads into another.

My thought process is less pick your type for regular guest but particularly SOLELY for convention goers, special tickets to access the hub and one land. If someone is staying one night in Orlando for a conference after they leave the convention at 4pm and the park closes at let's say 10 pm....most can't justify buying a ticket if they know they can't do everything...however a decently discounted ticket allowing you after your convention to go hang out in the hub to spend money and one land (while Universal doesn't need to close down the section for that group) would do wonders. Of course the implementation is a question but its a lot easier to know when things are happening at the convention center and do those operations versus year round a la carte park operations.

Reactions: Ken96
Look, I'm that family form Denver, no I go for real, I'm that family from Arcen, little village in Holland, that spent 14 hours in a fart tube to get to Florida to visiting the park once in a lifetime. We are there, happy as puppy when all at once we get confronted with the closure of SNW because it is rented out "but the rest is open sir", that is unacceptable.

The additional hotel rooms and the additional numbers of guests expected may mean it's finally going to make more financial sense for the existing parks to remain open later.

We all think of Disney as ALWAYS having had the hours they currently do, but that's not the case. When it was just Magic Kingdom and even when Epcot Center opened they ran similar hours to what Universal currently does. It's only after they added a third park and expanded the number of hotels that it became feasible (and necessary) to keep parks open 16-20 hours a day. Of course that's also when maintenance started suffering because there's no downtime.

I think we'll see EU ending up running later hours than Islands and US simply because they won't have a CityWalk for guests to empty into (and spend more money) when they close. The Hub area will essentially be the CityWalk and stay open later than the lands for dining and shopping as well as for hotel guest access.
Also I don't know how restrictive it is around IOA and USF because they are sort of in the middle of a residential area (Dr. Phillips) and might have to curtail certain things to certain hours. That shouldn't be the case for Epic where the closest residential neighborhood is Tangelo Park across Sand Lake Road.

Look, I'm that family form Denver, no I go for real, I'm that family from Arcen, little village in Holland, that spent 14 hours in a fart tube to get to Florida to visiting the park once in a lifetime. We are there, happy as puppy when all at once we get confronted with the closure of SNW because it is rented out "but the rest is open sir", that is unacceptable.
It will be no different than if you go now and find out park closes at 4 or 5 for a private event. Any areas rented out will not be for an entire day. It will be for the evening just like it is now, with the only difference being some of the park may remain open.

How is this any different then scheduled maintenance? And SNW wouldn't be down for an entire day. That'll never happen.

Just as an FYI, SeaWorld is operating for longer hours this month than USF or IOA - even MK with its nightly events still operates longer.

yes I got bored at work

How is this any different then scheduled maintenance? And SNW wouldn't be down for an entire day. That'll never happen.

Scheduled maintenance isn't revealed as early as bookings for hotels are allowed. Universal only releases park hours 2 months in advance, there's a good chance you've already booked your hotels before then. Disney has a pretty consistent operating schedule year after year, so it's at least a little easier to know their hours/events in advance (You already know Epcot and DHS will open up to 8 PM on most nights for nighttime shows). Next Friday, IOA and USF are closing at 6 PM because apparently, Universal doesn't have a strong AP base that wants to go to the parks after work on a Friday.

There are enough hotel rooms at UOR to at least keep one park open until 9 PM or later. I don't think they have to wait until the Epic hotels are open.

Last edited:

I think it depends on how often it happens. If events are happening 10 times a month, then obviously it will be a huge issue. If its happening at the rate its happening currently, its a much smaller issue. Universal also has the benefit currently of closing early and hosting events AFTER park closure. Assuming from the fact that this park is supposed to have fireworks, I'd imagine its staying open later. Meaning any event will have to take place DURING park hours. Significantly different circumstances.

Of course SNW won't be closed the entire day, but with earlier closure it overcrowds the area during the day as everyone is trying to get SNW done with before it closes. Also, you aren't getting a discount for the park that day so you are paying for a lesser experience technically.

Reactions: tielo and Coolbfitz