Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 285 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This.
More people than you can count go into the industry thinking they can change things for the better and often do not succeed. Bottom line is that most of what these parks present don't really need to be changed as far as systems go and are just really dumb nitpicks by fans.
I am not saying everything is perfect, but some of the things people complain about are just bizarre.

On an opposite note, I have to say the layout of this park looks... interesting.
It's different for sure, but is it too ambitious? Will guests like to keep walking through that hub area to enter the different parts of the park?
Personally, I think I would get sick of it eventually. No matter how breathtaking or interesting it may look, the hub may be what brings this park down. If there are a healthy amount of attractions in there like some speculate, it may solve the problem of going through essentially what many might call a dead space, but it will still be annoying to drag through, almost like an obstacle. Just imagine if you wanted to go from Nintendo to Monsters and had to go through that hub. Then you might want to go over to Berk, so you go across the hub once again.
This will continue every time you want to move destinations in this park. Every. Single. Time.
Let that sink in...

There is a reason why parks are essentially circles, it's so you don't see the same thing over and over unless you turn around and go back.
Once you reach the same area in a park that you have already seen during that visit (if you are traveling in a straight motion all the way through like most guests.) it is usually near the front entrance or where you started. The Hub changes everything about the layout formula regarding theme parks.

EU is still designed as a circle, even including the Hub. Even if guests have to leave one land and walk through the Hub to get to the next, it's not like every section of the Hub is going to look exactly the same, it'll have a variety of shops, attractions and viewpoints as you walk around it.

You're typing as if the Hub is going to be a bland, flat piece of concrete with nothing in it. I actually quite like the design because instead of having small tracts of deadness like you would in another Disney/Universal park, you'll have one generically but nicely themed non-land that still offers tons of things to do between the themed lands themselves.

EU is still designed as a circle, even including the Hub. Even if guests have to leave one land and walk through the Hub to get to the next, it's not like every section of the Hub is going to look exactly the same, it'll have a variety of shops, attractions and viewpoints as you walk around it.

You're typing as if the Hub is going to be a bland, flat piece of concrete with nothing in it. I actually quite like the design because instead of having small tracts of deadness like you would in another Disney/Universal park, you'll have one generically but nicely themed non-land that still offers tons of things to do between the themed lands themselves.
I mean, if you count “eating” as a “ton of things to do”, sure

Reactions: krazyhorrorkid
I have issues with the mechanical design of the park (the lands not connecting to each other is just kind of a PITA), and am a bit irked that overall it feels like a park full of cast off projects from IOA/USF, but it’s still going to be fun so :shrug:

I actually like the idea of them being separate. I can’t wait for Diagon-type immersion for each of them. I think the HTTYD land is going to blow people away visually

You're missing the entire point of what I said. Circle as in fluent motion, not shape as a whole.
MK is a close as you will probably get and that has paths to the other lands around the castle which is what EU lacks.

I didn't once say or even perceive that the hub was going to be bland. It can be amazing looking and still get boring because of how many times you are going through it one after another.
It's inconvenient to expect people to walk through the same area so many times in one day, it gets annoying when you have to do the same thing repeatedly.

If the hub is structured right and divided into different parts in between the lands, that could be a LOT better. But it does not look like it's gonna be that way.

Reactions: Disneyhead
I mean, if you count “eating” as a “ton of things to do”, sure

Eating, shopping a few attractions, interestingly designed pieces of whatever (architecture, art, plant life, etc).

Basically, everything you would already find in between the majorly themed areas in the other parks. I really don't see the difference between chopping the Hub up into little pieces and putting them between Berks-Potter-Monsters-Nintendo and how it's actually designed. And to be honest, I like the idea of each themed land being entirely self contained. If the entrances to each are done well the execution of being transported to these beautiful, exciting worlds should be an absolute treat.

Going from one land to another in EU isn’t going to be any different from going from Springfield to Diagon. You have to walk in the parks

I’m not worried about the hub as a connective tissue. It’s going to be full of life, restaurants, shops, and views. I like how they’re going to theme it as the various elements as well. It’s not going to be monotonous.

Going from one land to another in EU isn’t going to be any different from going from Springfield to Diagon. You have to walk in the parks

I’m not worried about the hub as a connective tissue. It’s going to be full of life, restaurants, shops, and views. I like how they’re going to theme it as the various elements as well. It’s not going to be monotonous.
If it is a variety of themes then it would be a bit better.
I just find it frustrating that we are obligated to walk through the hub over and over.

You're missing the entire point of what I said. Circle as in fluent motion, not shape as a whole.
MK is a close as you will probably get and that has paths to the other lands around the castle which is what EU lacks.

I didn't once say or even perceive that the hub was going to be bland. It can be amazing looking and still get boring because of how many times you are going through it one after another.
It's inconvenient to expect people to walk through the same area so many times in one day, it gets annoying when you have to do the same thing repeatedly.

If the hub is structured right and divided into different parts in between the lands, that could be a LOT better. But it does not look like it's gonna be that way.

I just don't understand the gripe when we're talking an a all-world level theme park. If you spend a day in Studios, how are you not being forced to walk through the same areas all day long? If you do a loop around the park and then leave, how is that any different that going into one land in EU, going into the Hub to get to the one right next to it and repeating that until you visit all four lands?

It's a theme park, it's going to get boring if you walk through it a ton of times because it only changes drastically every few years.

If it is a variety of themes then it would be a bit better.
I just find it frustrating that we are obligated to walk through the hub over and over.

I understand your concern and it’s easy to have when all we’ve gotten is one piece of concept art from 5,000 feet up. I think the theming is going to be very intricate because they know how often people will go through it. It will be just as nice as walking through their current generally-themed areas like Port of Entry, Hollywood, New York, and Central Park.

I just don't understand the gripe when we're talking an a all-world level theme park. If you spend a day in Studios, how are you not being forced to walk through the same areas all day long? If you do a loop around the park and then leave, how is that any different that going into one land in EU, going into the Hub to get to the one right next to it and repeating that until you visit all four lands?

It's a theme park, it's going to get boring if you walk through it a ton of times because it only changes drastically every few years.
In Studios, you constantly are moving, like you are making progress as you walk through.
It's just annoying to have to think that there is NO WAY OUT of walking through the hub.
Not to mention you are literally walking into a dead-end every time you enter a land.

Walt designed DL and WDW for this exact reason, so around every corner, there is something you have yet to see.

If they added portals connecting the lands that made you dodge the hub it would be a lot better because not everyone wants to walk through the hub over and over. I know it is a big environment that is spaced out well, but it still feels like your seeing the same thing over and over, regardless of what it looks like.

Luckily there's more like three hubs, so you'll likely be walking through a different area nearly every time you go from one land to another... unless you're backtracking to where you've already been or attempting to avoid an area.

I like to call it the snowman hub, but we're also accepting three-ring circus or triple-threat.

EDIT: I will add, that since the central area is actually a gigantic loop, it's more like IOA or USF than many of us realize. You can walk around the entire park, and pop into Dragons or Potter, same as you would go from London to Diagon, and then back. Then continue on your journey around the giant oval around the park. You CAN cross the hub to go from Dragons to Monsters if you want, as a shortcut, something you cant do with a park lagoon if there's not a boat or a bridge. So, in a way, the park is a loop, but all the lands are Diagons.

DOUBLE EDIT: It's a loop! And two of the lands are loops too so you don't even have to backtrack to get out!

TRIPLE EDIT: While the concept art purposely doesn't convey it, the hub will have themed areas of its own, so will look different from area to area as well, to keep it from getting monotonous.

loop.jpg

Last edited:
Going back to the idea that the hub was going to be free and each land had the ability to sell A la Carte tickets gives me hope and belief that each land is robust with activities and things to do which would negate this issues that are being brought up about the hub

If each land is filled to the brim with things to do, most wouldn't be going land to land at a quick pace but taking and trying to do everything they can in each land. Only those trying to run ride to ride would hate the hub.

Additionally, I don't think the Hub will be an issue as long as they make it extremely one of a kind and beautiful with enough things to do as well.

Going back to the idea that the hub was going to be free and each land had the ability to sell A la Carte tickets gives me hope and belief that each land is robust with activities and things to do which would negate this issues that are being brought up about the hub

If each land is filled to the brim with things to do, most wouldn't be going land to land at a quick pace but taking and trying to do everything they can in each land. Only those trying to run ride to ride would hate the hub.

Additionally, I don't think the Hub will be an issue as long as they make it extremely one of a kind and beautiful with enough things to do as well.
Even in the free hub concept, I don't believe the lands were ever going to be sold a la carte. Instead, you could go to the hub and enjoy the dining and shopping, but if you wanted to go into the theme park land areas, you would purchase a theme park ticket (with access to ALL areas).

The only thing that may have been proposed as a la carte, (knowing Universal Orlando,) may be the hub coaster. The rest is all or nothing... Otherwise, you'd have EVERYONE in Nintendo and no one in the rest, etc.

I'm not worried about the hub being repetitive or having to walk through it however many times to get to the next land. I am slightly worried about the flow of traffic in and out of each land, however.

I'm sure it'll be fine, though.

Luckily there's more like three hubs, so you'll likely be walking through a different area nearly every time you go from one land to another... unless you're backtracking to where you've already been or attempting to avoid an area.

I like to call it the snowman hub, but we're also accepting three-ring circus or triple-threat.

EDIT: I will add, that since the central area is actually a gigantic loop, it's more like IOA or USF than many of us realize. You can walk around the entire park, and pop into Dragons or Potter, same as you would go from London to Diagon, and then back. Then continue on your journey around the giant oval around the park. You CAN cross the hub to go from Dragons to Monsters if you want, as a shortcut, something you cant do with a park lagoon if there's not a boat or a bridge. So, in a way, the park is a loop, but all the lands are Diagons.

DOUBLE EDIT: It's a loop! And two of the lands are loops too so you don't even have to backtrack to get out!

TRIPLE EDIT: While the concept art purposely doesn't convey it, the hub will have themed areas of its own, so will look different from area to area as well, to keep it from getting monotonous.

View attachment 14433
This could also be their future “Run Epic Universe” course lol.

My favorite is reading the comments here versus some of the posts on the Islands of Adventure threads:

You can't have a HTTYD land, it needs to be a Dreamworks mashup vs You can't have Jurassic Park and Jurassic World in the same area, it's too confusing and disruptive it needs to all be themed to one franchise (even though they are technically the same franchise).

The hub and spoke layout is dumb, you need to be able to go from land to land without exiting first vs Harry Potter is ruined if you enter from The Lost Continent as it's underwhelming and you aren't introduced to the land via the Castle from the bridge, they really should have had only had the single entrance/exit.

The hub and spoke layout is dumb, you have to walk too far to go from one land to the neighboring land vs walking into Islands for Harry Potter doesn't work because you have to walk through Seuss Land and then Lost Continent before you get to the land, they need a bridge across the lagoon directly to Harry Potter and waiting in line for Hagrids queued back to Lost Continent wrecks the experience.

The worlds need to be connected vs Velocicoaster wrecks Harry Potter as you can see/hear the coaster and it breaks the immersion and you're in a tropical jungle in Jurassic World and you see snow capped roofs on the ride.

The park can't have all IP rides and shows, it needs to have something original vs Poseidon's Fury is a waste and needs to be rethemed as Zelda or some other IP.

I'm not saying that everybody should be in agreement in every aspect, and not saying any specific point of view is right or wrong, but it's funny how current conversations going on are completely opposite each other. Guess that's why they say, "You can't please everybody."

Status
Not open for further replies.