Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 259 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that the parent company of Universal theme parks only has until 2025 to create new Harry Potter based theme park attractions. According to this article, linked below.

"NBCUniversal in 2016 inked a rich seven-year rights deal with Warner Bros. Domestic TV Distribution that included U.S. broadcast, cable and streaming rights to the Wizarding World franchise. That deal, which ends in April 2025, included digital initiatives as well as theme park content and events."

Source: 'Harry Potter' Live-Action TV Series in Early Development at HBO Max (Exclusive)

Of course they could extend the contract, but I don't think universal would want to lose the right to do this. Maybe this is hope that Epic Universe will be built by then? And possibly a small addition to the existing Wizarding Worlds will happen in the next few years, too.

Considering the deal in question is with "Warner Bros Domestic TV Distribution", I do not believe the theme park rights mentioned have to do with the building and maintaining of the lands. More likely than not it's talking about the rights to broadcast specials about the parks/possible events held there with the stars.

2025 sounds fine, but I imagine there will be cuts. And if so, likely much hemming and hawing over these cuts. At this point, I don't care, just get a gate open so they can expand new concepts into EU versus replacing things in the limited spaces available at IOA and USF.
I'm 100 percent not expecting the hub coaster to exist

Otherwise, Monsters would be the first thing cut I'm sure

At that point, I've lost interest in EU (sorry Mario)

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I'm 100 percent not expecting the hub coaster to exist

Otherwise, Monsters would be the first thing cut I'm sure

At that point, I've lost interest in EU (sorry Mario)
I'd expect it to get delayed, since it could be a cheap addition in a pinch.

A Creature from the Black Lagoon expansion probably gets delayed further if Monsters is still built.

It appears that the parent company of Universal theme parks only has until 2025 to create new Harry Potter based theme park attractions. According to this article, linked below.

"NBCUniversal in 2016 inked a rich seven-year rights deal with Warner Bros. Domestic TV Distribution that included U.S. broadcast, cable and streaming rights to the Wizarding World franchise. That deal, which ends in April 2025, included digital initiatives as well as theme park content and events."

Source: 'Harry Potter' Live-Action TV Series in Early Development at HBO Max (Exclusive)

Of course they could extend the contract, but I don't think universal would want to lose the right to do this. Maybe this is hope that Epic Universe will be built by then? And possibly a small addition to the existing Wizarding Worlds will happen in the next few years, too.
Pretty sure their theme park rights contract is renewed on an every two year basis now that a decade has passed. It has to be separate from whatever TV contract thing this is, right?

But hey, whatever excuse to get this built by 2025 is fine by me.

Regardless, since WB has all the cards with the agreement they have for use in the parks, I’ve said before that they could pressure Uni to build whatever they want as soon as they want, or they could start threatening to walk, or at very least charge (even) more percentage on merch/food rights, etc.

Yeah they wouldn't have FB/HP on the EU plans if there was any chance of them losing the contract in 2025.

But even then, contracts can always be renegotiated.

But you do the renegotiating before you show your hand that you are going to drop hundreds of millions of dollars on a new land in your new park. Uni doesn't put that on the plans if there's any chance that they'd have to retheme that area 2 years after it opens. I'm betting they have a contract to the 2030 range or some sort of clause like the Marvel contract where they can auto extend it unless they fail to perform.

Hey everyone,

I drew a concept for a Rivendell-themed expansion land to go at Epic Universe. Rivendell would be a great location to bring to life in a theme park as it has a magical atmosphere, and it is featured in both the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings movie trilogies so a lot of fans will be familiar with the environment.

The design is mainly based off Sir Peter Jackson's movie trilogies' design, and it's also based off JRR Tolkien's original artwork of Rivendell/Lauterbrunnen in Switzerland (Tolkien's inspiration for Rivendell).

I hope you like it!

Pure speculation here but going forward on the ideas for a driverless personal transport, I cant see individual transport replacing pure park to park busses simply due to capacity concerns.

However a system that can run on its own track and the bus lanes, sharing the lanes with busses could work theoretically as the transport system for visitors between the two park sites and some of the hotels, especially if they built the hotels not in walking distance of the parks or just to get to the other parks.

An example of how the system could work is the Heathrow Airport pods system, taking passengers from 2 car parks to terminal 5 only on its own track, this opened 10 years ago and suggests the concept is possible, though this set up used its own self contained track

Reactions: Grabnar
On the bus front. I've got a few questions:

What do you think the route will be from the current resort to the new resort? Straight down Kirkman?

Does Orlando have any double decker buses in operation?

Where would the bus stop be at the current resort?

I could see them using the parking garage next to the VB bus or could they justify a more permanent solution? A road directly into the garage from Kirkman could save minutes off each trip.

What do you think the route will be from the current resort to the new resort? Straight down Kirkman?

I could see them using the parking garage next to the VB bus or could they justify a more permanent solution? A road directly into the garage from Kirkman could save minutes off each trip.

Going down Universal Blvd then turning into carrier and then down Kirkman. Best case is a reconstruction of the current bus drop off area.

I know it's 4+ years out minimum, but are there any thoughts on any HHN tie-ins here? UCM being built here seems like a great advertising vehicle for HHN or a way to drive HHN traffic to the new park.

I know there was a very brief period a few year back when Dolphin Tours ran a franchise of City Sightseeing and they used double decker buses but I do not think it lasted very long.
I would presume that there would be a range of buses from the new resort with six routes:
City Walk Bus Loop to Epic Universe
Volcano Bay to Epic Universe
Portofino Bay and Hard Rock to Epic Universe
Safire Falls and Royal Pacific to Epic Universe
Cabana Bay and Aventura to Epic Universe
Endless Summer to Epic Universe.

Reactions: Scott W.
I know it's 4+ years out minimum, but are there any thoughts on any HHN tie-ins here? UCM being built here seems like a great advertising vehicle for HHN or a way to drive HHN traffic to the new park.
Personally? I doubt it. Doesn't seem to be any infrastructure to host HHN. Plus it means busing most onsite guests out there every night. Logistically it doesn't make much sense.

Personally? I doubt it. Doesn't seem to be any infrastructure to host HHN. Plus it means busing most onsite guests out there every night. Logistically it doesn't make much sense.
The idea would likely be to make it an event that’s worth going to EU for a nignt rather than bussing people back and forth, advertise it as a 2 night weekend event type thing really. I think they should do this eventually but I can’t see this happening at opening at this point for obvious reasons. Isn’t there space behind the restaurant, and in between the hotel? Maybe for a house at least but I know that’s a pipe dream.

Reactions: Grabnar
The idea would likely be to make it an event that’s worth going to EU for a nignt rather than bussing people back and forth, advertise it as a 2 night weekend event type thing really. I think they should do this eventually but I can’t see this happening at opening at this point for obvious reasons. Isn’t there space behind the restaurant, and in between the hotel? Maybe for a house at least but I know that’s a pipe dream.
Won’t happen for the reasons JungleSkip said. HHN excels because of its soundstages. EU won’t have anything comparable to the necessary infrastructure to support 10+ houses that won’t necessitate shutting down half the restaurants in the park. Never mind that a sever limitation of HHN at IoA was how heavily themed the lands are. It basically meant zones were forced into looks that fit the established vibe, where the Studios’ fairly generic city-scapes and flat walls could be anything. EU is even MORE themed and sectioned.

The only way HHN happens at EU, is if EU is massive failure at opening and Universal wants to drive traffic.

Won’t happen for the reasons JungleSkip said. HHN excels because of its soundstages. EU won’t have anything comparable to the necessary infrastructure to support 10+ houses that won’t necessitate shutting down half the restaurants in the park. Never mind that a sever limitation of HHN at IoA was how heavily themed the lands are. It basically meant zones were forced into looks that fit the established vibe, where the Studios’ fairly generic city-scapes and flat walls could be anything. EU is even MORE themed and sectioned.

The only way HHN happens at EU, is if EU is massive failure at opening and Universal wants to drive traffic.
Yeah makes sense, I do appreciate they keep each park unique to a degree, not forcing HHN in all 3 parks, just have different holiday offerings.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Status
Not open for further replies.