Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, Whoever had the Oz suggestion, yes yes yes. Why hasn't this been done?! Build the Emerald City, put the Wicked Witches castle on a mountain high above, have a Wicked Witch dark ride adventure... Shopping and dining in the emerald city... DO IT ALL.

Personally, I think the options are....
  1. Lord of the Rings (yes, I'm still thinking that this is an option. Don't @ me)
  2. Nickelodeon/Spongebob
  3. Retro World, with old IP's like BttF and Jaws and stuff. Unlikely, but it still needs a mention
  4. One of the DreamWorks areas has a separate World for some reason.

Ugh, Whoever had the Oz suggestion, yes yes yes. Why hasn't this been done?! Build the Emerald City, put the Wicked Witches castle on a mountain high above, have a Wicked Witch dark ride adventure... Shopping and dining in the emerald city... DO IT ALL.

Would be interesting to know if, now that the Great Movie Ride is closed, if the rights to the 1939 film are available. That's the only way that a WoO land would make sense.

If I remember correctly, I thought @NJBrandon accidentally leaked out UC trying to see if Spongebob could work for the Beijing park early on in USB's discussion. I imagine it was during the point of them in blue sky, but the thought does cross my mind for a potential 5th World (if Pokemon's out of the running), and Universal might try to use the concepts once looked at for Beijing but for the case of Orlando.

The 1939 film is owned by Warner Bros. The 80th anniversary is this year. They still have a lot of the blueprints to the original movie sets. I am currently working on a design for a Wizard of Oz theme park land. I want to be a concept artist at some point and a Wizard of Oz land is something I've always wanted. The problem is Warner Bros. is really protective of the IP. But IMO it's an American classic that needs to have an immersive land. If Universal wants great character meet and greets this would be great. In my layout, I went in and studied all of the movie sets and laid out a whole land. The land would be around the scale of Galaxy's edge and housing two attractions. Think Flight of Passage and Pirates of the Carribean. The Wizard of Oz did get rated the number one most influential film of all time. What gives me hope is that they are doing Classic Monsters which some of the films are older than The Wizard of Oz and I would argue less relevant.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, I thought @NJBrandon accidentally leaked out UC trying to see if Spongebob could work for the Beijing park early on in USB's discussion. I imagine it was during the point of them in blue sky, but the thought does cross my mind for a potential 5th World (if Pokemon's out of the running), and Universal might try to use the concepts once looked at for Beijing but for the case of Orlando.

If Spongebob is coming, I could see that being this parks indoor land. Beijing has KFP, we have Spongebob. Everyone wins!

The 1939 film is owned by Warner Bros. The 80th anniversary is this year. They still have a lot of the blueprints to the original movie sets. I am currently working on a design for a Wizard of Oz theme park land. I want to be a concept artist at some point and a Wizard of Oz land is something I've always wanted. The problem is Warner Bros. is really protective of the IP. But IMO it's an American classic that needs to have an immersive land. If Universal wants great character meet and greets this would be great. In my layout, I went in and studied all of the movie sets and laid out a whole land. The land would be around the scale of Galaxy's edge and housing two attractions. Think Flight of Passage and Pirates of the Carribean. The Wizard of Oz did get rated the number one most influential film of all time. What gives me hope is that they are doing Classic Monsters which some of the films are older than The Wizard of Oz and I would argue less relevant.

I think it’s also worth mentioning that Comcast owns Wicked the Musical. They could’ve gotten the theme park rights when they bought it up.

Heck last time I was at universal they had ads for it at the parking center.

I think it’s also worth mentioning that Comcast owns Wicked the Musical. They could’ve gotten the theme park rights when they bought it up.

Heck last time I was at universal they had ads for it at the parking center.
The Wicked movie comes out in 2021 so it's possible. I love Wicked but I personally think it would be better if they had a full production of the show at Universal instead of a land.

Just saying, an Emerald City hotel looking over a Wizard of Oz land would make sense for what Alicia has been saying. Would be the most natural fit I can think of.

Just saying, an Emerald City hotel looking over a Wizard of Oz land would make sense for what Alicia has been saying. Would be the most natural fit I can think of.

That would awesome. That was a concept I had in my layout but I felt it might be better for a later expansion so I ended up removing it.

So as of right now, the general consensus is that Pokémon won’t be one of the 5 lands? If so, that seems like a huge missed opportunity on Uni’s end.

So as of right now, the general consensus is that Pokémon won’t be one of the 5 lands? If so, that seems like a huge missed opportunity on Uni’s end.
Seems like Universal wants to wait and see how SNW does in Japan before it green lights other Nintendo projects, although they may very well be in development. But no one knows 100% I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.