Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 498 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve signed up under a few emails to try and get more chances.

Yeah I was honest about my status and preferences, so I generally only get marketing related emails. I need to make an uber fan email to have a better shot at the juicier ones.

I know their’s no chance of a 5th world being built at the fourth gate come opening but don’t you think a Sci-Fi World would’ve been nice? Guess we will have to wait until the new park expands since their will be expansion pads for the new park. The thing is Universal hardly has any current IP’s that is Sci-Fi related except BTTF which is old.

I know their’s no chance of a 5th world being built at the fourth gate come opening but don’t you think a Sci-Fi World would’ve been nice? Guess we will have to wait until the new park expands since their will be expansion pads for the new park. The thing is Universal hardly has any current IP’s that is Sci-Fi related except BTTF which is old.

I'm curious, have you seen the Sci-Fi area from Universal Singapore? I think that's the kind of thing you're thinking of. It seems to me like Universal is straying away from generic "Egypt" or "Sci-Fi" lands and toward areas like DA or Springfield, immersive lands based on a single IP. I don't even think that BTTF warrants a land like that (please don't hurt me) and I think that's the best Sci-Fi IP Universal has in their own portfolio, although the fanboy in me would love to see a Pacific Rim area.

Universal has access to plenty of sci-fi, plus third-part stuff they can license.

Battlestar: Galactica (Anything on Syfy, really)
Star Gate
Ready Player One
Star Trek

Hell, those would be a hell of a world.

Reactions: jseal777
I feel that of those franchises, Star Trek would be the one they’d license since it’s the most iconic. The 2009 movie had a pretty decent domestic gross, and it has a long legacy rivaling that of Star Wars.

I feel that of those franchises, Star Trek would be the one they’d license since it’s the most iconic. The 2009 movie had a pretty decent domestic gross, and it has a long legacy rivaling that of Star Wars.

Universal owns Battlestar which is why its more likely than Star Trek (in addition Star Trek has had diminishing returns film wise, merch wise, and in regards to those that subscribed to CBS all access to watch discovery, they are older than Universal's main demographic [35 and older].)

I think in regards to Sci-Fi world it can be done but the biggest issue will be the visual aspect in addition to the properties used as Sci-Fi is quite broad.

Reactions: Dhdhddh

I mean, would you really think that they wouldn't have expansion pads set up at the start?

I would think that Universal wants to have enough space to add in another world or two, after the park opens. IOA went to that extent, where Jurassic & Lost Continent had plots pre-Potter. And if I'm not mistaken, Seuss still has their plot next to the CiTH show building.

Id assume, expansion plots are likely gonna be around.

Reactions: natespf
What the latest on LotR? Is that idea dead now? Last I read was months ago and there were murmurs of contract discussions.

What the latest on LotR? Is that idea dead now? Last I read was months ago and there were murmurs of contract discussions.
Their is a new Tolkien movie coming out so maybe that will spark interest in a Lord Of The Rings World/Middle Earth down the line. Speaking of Sci-Fi they can always look to Terminator and bring it back. A new movie is slated to come out later this year called Terminator Dark Fate and I hear their rebooting the franchise. Maybe Universal has some options for Terminator since it is still relevant.

flatline_8205.jpg

Their is a new Tolkien movie coming out so maybe that will spark interest in a Lord Of The Rings World/Middle Earth down the line. Speaking of Sci-Fi they can always look to Terminator and bring it back. A new movie is slated to come out later this year called Terminator Dark Fate and I hear their rebooting the franchise. Maybe Universal has some options for Terminator since it is still relevant.

I doubt a Tolkien Biopic would spark the flames for Middle Earth to come to UPR, in general.

How to Train Your Dragons (Universal's IP) and Zelda (agreement with Nintendo) are somewhat similar to LOTR in setting etc. that there's no real reason for Universal to pay a huge rights fee to use LOTR. I'd guess it's close to 100% that we'll see both Dragon & Zelda in one or two of the parks. Dragons, especially, is just about pure profit.

The current paradigm of (successful) theme park lands seems to put a very high importance on small details in theming, and this generally doesn't suit sci-fi because it tends to be based around more "generic" environments. I think that is why SW:GE has so much rockwork and the large outpost area, and probably why FW won't have any sci-fi lands.

I mean, would you really think that they wouldn't have expansion pads set up at the start?

I would think that Universal wants to have enough space to add in another world or two, after the park opens. IOA went to that extent, where Jurassic & Lost Continent had plots pre-Potter. And if I'm not mistaken, Seuss still has their plot next to the CiTH show building.

Id assume, expansion plots are likely gonna be around.

I really doubt that it's about wanting to have space for another world, but rather that Comcast doesn't want to pay for more than 4 worlds at once. I also don't expect there to be any expansion pads within the initial worlds, just a couple of "spokes" that lead to open space.

Reactions: HPFred and Dhdhddh
Status
Not open for further replies.