UO to discontinue Paper Park Maps | Inside Universal Forums

UO to discontinue Paper Park Maps

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oct 5, 2021
Mt. Crumpit
Thanks, I hate it

UOR-USF-No-More-Theme-Park-Maps-WDWNT-3-1-scaled.jpg

UOR-IOA-No-More-Maps-Bioreconstruct-1200x673.jpg

Credit: Universal Parks News Today

I do miss the maps : (. However, I can see why they would do this if nobody is taking them. They're mostly free souvenirs at this point when compared to the convenience of the mobile map. The QR codes...I don't really see how they are confusing, but that might just be a generational thing.

Reactions: imagin78
I do miss the maps : (. However, I can see why they would do this if nobody is taking them. They're mostly free souvenirs at this point when compared to the convenience of the mobile map. The QR codes...I don't really see how they are confusing, but that might just be a generational thing.
Nobody is taking them? I've seen guests crowd around the map boxes so many times. I was trying to get some maps at IOA almost a week ago and there was a freakin line :lmao:

a
It takes significantly more time to turn your phone on and find something on the wonky app than it does to pull a map out and look at it. And as Izzy previously said, who's been a high tech manager for a good number of years, even she has problems using the wonky app.....High tech is not always faster and better than the old way of doing stuff. Thats a fallacy.....Plus paper maps don't use up battery space or need recharged. :)

Last edited:
With the caveat that I don't need a map to make my way around the parks:

1. Universal's app kind of stinks.
2. I hate the idea of there not being any "free" little extras or souvenirs that a person can use to commemorate their day without having to spend more money. When I was a kid, I loved collecting the park maps from each visit, and they're fun to look back at to see how the parks evolved.

With the caveat that I don't need a map to make my way around the parks:

1. Universal's app kind of stinks.
2. I hate the idea of there not being any "free" little extras or souvenirs that a person can use to commemorate their day without having to spend more money. When I was a kid, I loved collecting the park maps from each visit, and they're fun to look back at to see how the parks evolved.
Here is the list of good theme park apps that are enjoyable to use...

And that's it! Thanks for reading.

I'm kinda surprised park maps lasted into the 2020's to be honest. They're nice to have but people can't read maps, just as much as they can't read Apps or in-park navigational signs. So they end up just asking TMs where everything is anyway.
...but what happens if the TM isn't informed properly of updated info? Not even their Twitter has the most up-to-date information.

Reactions: Mad Dog and IzzyB
While I think losing the park maps stinks, especially if there aren't going to be any for seasonal events, we gotta look at it from the other angle.

I've seen quite a handful of TMs (former and current) make comments about how easily park maps were discarded, and not necessarily thrown away in the trash. I have no information on what the ratio is, but if only 1 out of 4 people kept the park map - I get it. I'll be grumpy about it... but I get it.

While I think losing the park maps stinks, especially if there aren't going to be any for seasonal events, we gotta look at it from the other angle.

I've seen quite a handful of TMs (former and current) make comments about how easily park maps were discarded, and not necessarily thrown away in the trash. I have no information on what the ratio is, but if only 1 out of 4 people kept the park map - I get it. I'll be grumpy about it... but I get it.
Same. Even I pick up 1 of 2 off the ground walking through the parks myself every single visit. It's an issue for landscaping, where people leave them in planters constantly.

I don't believe this was the main reason for the decision, but I bet a lot of TMs are happy it happened because of it.

It reeks of slashed budgets/cost-cutting in an era where the parks are profiting like crazy.

Universal hasn't gotten much heat like WDW has over the past few years, but they've made some pretty greedy decisions over the past few years.
  • Charging separately for the plastic pouch that used to come included with the lanyard
  • Increased AP prices last year with no significant additions outside of Villain-Con while removing 2 entertainment options at USF and Poseidon's Fury (fine with this one... but they should offer some form of alternative entertainment in the park)
Meanwhile, they are still closing the parks early often (while profiting off of park buyouts), adding up-charges to events (Mardi Gras reserved floats, HHN F&B preview, Holiday VIP tour), and who knows what else they have planned.

It reeks of slashed budgets/cost-cutting in an era where the parks are profiting like crazy.

Universal hasn't gotten much heat like WDW has over the past few years, but they've made some pretty greedy decisions over the past few years.
  • Charging separately for the plastic pouch that used to come included with the lanyard
  • Increased AP prices last year with no significant additions outside of Villain-Con while removing 2 entertainment options at USF and Poseidon's Fury (fine with this one... but they should offer some form of alternative entertainment in the park)
Meanwhile, they are still closing the parks early often (while profiting off of park buyouts), adding up-charges to events (Mardi Gras reserved floats, HHN F&B preview, Holiday VIP tour), and who knows what else they have planned.

Corporations are not your friends. More at 11.

It’s interesting that they didn’t at all do the Green is Universal angle like they did at USH. This is objectively a very good thing environmentally even if I will miss them

Reactions: imagin78