UO to discontinue Paper Park Maps | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

UO to discontinue Paper Park Maps

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I wouldn't really necessarily you need to have your phone "in your face all day."

Want to know show times? Open the app, check show times, close the app.

Want to know the wait times? Open the app, scroll through the wait times, close the app.

I get being upset about physical maps being unavailable but Uni is FAR behind what Disney requires on one's phone.
But they add more and more. Dining ordering is another one they are HEAVILY pushing. And there app isn't as easy so after 20 clicks I finally get to what I want.

It does seem to follow trends in other areas though. Want to go to a sporting event or concert? Need ticket on your phone since there are no physical tickets. Want to pay for parking at a garage or street parking? Download the app or text this number to pay for parking. I still wish there were paper maps but I feel like it's not a huge leap to have people use their phones. I mean everyone in queues are already using their phones while waiting.
Actually most places you can print the ticket at home and bring it with you and survive without a phone if you want. Same with parking, all the places I have downloaded apps has had a manual way to do it also. Sure you have to walk to the machine, but there is a way.

The 'funny' thing about this WDW and Universal Orlando phones for everything trend is that the tourism leisure and hospitality industry is primarily based on catering to the guests to provide them with a comfortable, relaxing, entertaining, leisurely escape from the hurried hype/pace of their work lives, and doing most everything for them so they don't have to. Instead, this phone bs stuff is completely opposite that philosophy....and, bottom line, it's requiring the guest to do the work the leisure entity should be performing.

Just for giggles decided to act like someone who got the app and is going to look for the map for the first time.

While it's great you can get to the map in one tap here's what you see first and then when you zoom in:

uniappmap.png

You know who has a slightly better experience compared to this? Freakin' SeaWorld!

swappmap.png

At least you can easily name where you're at right away. I'll also say it's more pleasant to look at over the orange icons at first glance but that's a personal design critique.

In Universal's app you have to do all sorts of extra tap dancing to navigate where in SW's it feels like there's fewer steps needed. The Directions feature in their (SW's) app is also very handy—I used it a few times on my recent trip.

One thing physical maps have going for it is the space to list more information at an overall glance than the apps can cover without becoming cluttered or doesn't result in a lot of extra tapping and scrolling. If Universal is going to completely do away with traditional maps (or at the very least make them less easily accessible) then the virtual experience needs some polishing. And still have paper maps available.

I'll say this for any park: An app should optionally enchance the vacation experience, not require its usage.

Actually most places you can print the ticket at home and bring it with you and survive without a phone if you want. Same with parking, all the places I have downloaded apps has had a manual way to do it also. Sure you have to walk to the machine, but there is a way.
Last year I saw a family whip out a stack of papers with their reservation information when checking into their hotel room during HHN so people are still making use of printed tickets.

I wonder if international guests are more likely to rely on printed tickets over digital? Or those who don't have international data plans for their phone?

Just for giggles decided to act like someone who got the app and is going to look for the map for the first time.

While it's great you can get to the map in one tap here's what you see first and then when you zoom in:

You know who has a slightly better experience compared to this? Freakin' SeaWorld!

At least you can easily name where you're at right away. I'll also say it's more pleasant to look at over the orange icons at first glance but that's a personal design critique.

In Universal's app you have to do all sorts of extra tap dancing to navigate where in SW's it feels like there's fewer steps needed. The Directions feature in their (SW's) app is also very handy—I used it a few times on my recent trip.

One thing physical maps have going for it is the space to list more information at an overall glance than the apps can cover without becoming cluttered or doesn't result in a lot of extra tapping and scrolling. If Universal is going to completely do away with traditional maps (or at the very least make them less easily accessible) then the virtual experience needs some polishing. And still have paper maps available.

I'll say this for any park: An app should optionally enchance the vacation experience, not require its usage.

Last year I saw a family whip out a stack of papers with their reservation information when checking into their hotel room during HHN so people are still making use of printed tickets.

I wonder if international guests are more likely to rely on printed tickets over digital? Or those who don't have international data plans for their phone?
I agree I honestly was shocked when Universal's app was worse then SW. I complained about SW but mainly because their back end system would never properly tie my ticket to my e-mail address and so doing the digital ticket was harder for me. The other complaint was for the life of me I could never find the Christmas food stands in the app nor Howl-o-scream. But the map, ride list, direction, shows times, and being able to look days ahead is way better.

I actually always printed my food sample ticket benefits for SW but mainly because I would give some to my older kid or husband and so digital made that harder. So I still print sometimes, but most everything I just use the digital tickets.

SeaWorld is also soon implementing the ability for pass members to redeem their rewards through the app/website instead of having to deal with the kiosks.

Also, if you wanna see how much fun people are having using the mobile order program at Universal (or just ordering food overall)... just read a few Google reviews on some of the quick service locations. Don't even have to filter on the lowest rating, just filter on the most recent. It's not just a few of us on here complaining.

Reactions: Mad Dog
SeaWorld is also soon implementing the ability for pass members to redeem their rewards through the app/website instead of having to deal with the kiosks.

Also, if you wanna see how much fun people are having using the mobile order program at Universal (or just ordering food overall)... just read a few Google reviews on some of the quick service locations. Don't even have to filter on the lowest rating, just filter on the most recent. It's not just a few of us on here complaining.
I remember June of 2021 at USO. They went hog wild on mobile ordering. Had those App connect signs up everywhere, like now. It was complete chaos, confusion and food lines and waits longer than the long ride lines. We went in November for the holidays. They backed off the mobile ordering and everything was better. The only exception was Leaky Cauldron where they tried to continue forcing you to use the app. Leaky Cauldron remained long lines, long waits and confusion.

They already did. I was able to redeem all my rewards in December via the website instead of the Kiosk. Only one you still need Kiosk for was Penguin Trek, but I went to do that while at pass holder lounge. The lady got confused, said I didn't have enough and then said, "You know what I am too tired to care" and then she handed me the QQ pass. I would have earned it any way as we went another time and that was our second, but did make life easier.

That Mobile ordering is anything but fast. I have tried it twice now. Second time I did have less trouble with the app and it didn't hang forever, but not being able to customize is a pain and then it took FOREVER to get our food. Quick Service shouldn't take 25 minutes to get your food. I did say if we did it again in HP land (which both places push you towards mobile) I would order on app, but go order drinks at counter. The first time they brought drinks out first, but at 3 Broomsticks it came with order which was annoying since my husband had a beer and would have liked it before his meal since it took so long. But the other reason is that I don't like ice in my ciders and so I have to take it out and would rather just order with no ice. I still for the like of me can't figure out why when you scan the QR in a specific location it sends you to all restaurants. That just means they are lazy, they could very much do a QR code per restaurant.

I'll be honest, I'm still more annoyed about the free lockers being smaller vs paper maps being discontinued lol
That doesn't bug me as so few parks even offer free lockers anymore. We bring a stroller to most for that reason, however, I am super happy for the free lockers as my bag has wands in it and so I wouldn't want to leave that in the stroller. I don't care if I lose a water bottle or a jacket, but those wands are expensive!

I think free lockers are the one thing Universal does better than Disney ops-wise lol. I don't know how people are still allowed to bring in their bags and just told to put them on the floor of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.
I don't think I have ever tried to bring a bag on that. Pre-kids I never took a bag, post-kids we have a stroller. Do people lose stuff on there? I am wondering if how that ride is done stuff doesn't fall out? I actually like that most rides at Disney my bag can go on the ride with me. Things like MIB not allowing bags is annoying. But I totally understand why VC can't and so their locker set up is awesome.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
I think free lockers are the one thing Universal does better than Disney ops-wise lol. I don't know how people are still allowed to bring in their bags and just told to put them on the floor of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.
It's something i'm not used to at Disney lol. When we got on Guardians and they said to just put our phones in the netting in front of the seat I was like "uh... is this safe?"

• Haha
Reactions: IzzyB
I remember June of 2021 at USO. They went hog wild on mobile ordering. Had those App connect signs up everywhere, like now. It was complete chaos, confusion and food lines and waits longer than the long ride lines. We went in November for the holidays. They backed off the mobile ordering and everything was better. The only exception was Leaky Cauldron where they tried to continue forcing you to use the app. Leaky Cauldron remained long lines, long waits and confusion.

I never wanted to use the AP in a park. Started using the UNI one to see wait times for HHN -- anyway, since 2023, if you want to eat quick serve without using the app, it seems to me one is very very limited on selection.

Louie's seems to have mobile order as you recall it and you can also order/pay w/o mobile.

Now, when I have eaten at Richter's, Minion Cafe, and Leaky (only ones I tried) all forced us to use the APP, there was no way to order, you had to order food on the app, find a table, let them know you are ready and at a table via the APP -- not really mobil ordering where they tell you when to get your food -- it is more 'buy online' then tell us what table to bring your food to.

my only real point is that I think UNI has really been pushing the APP far more than they were a few years ago.

So my experience outside of HP eating areas, was, interesting. I am not sure what Universal is thinking with some of this stuff. OK, they want you to use the app, but I will say the places outside of HP do not force it (so good there). However, we actually did want to use it at Burger Digs (long line) and couldn't because they don't put the kids menu on the app. Why? This was the same at Thunder Falls. Such mixed signals in the same park. One they demand you use the app and they do have kids menu items, the other place seems to not care if you use it but you can't use it if you have kids. I am baffled as to what their strategy really is.

Also, WHY do they need to bring the food to your table? So go to Thunder Falls that has a setup similar to Sea World restaurants, but it apparently works completely different. You have to order at register, but can pick up some of the food and drinks along the way? Then they ask for table #, ummm... I don't know I didn't look, can't you just hand me the food? No we can't. OK, well this is dumb, go all the way back to table to get #, come back and order. As I am walking back the lady is walking out with my food, she doesn't seem to know table numbers and is wandering around. I ask table 65? She says yes, I point to where my family is and she gets to table before me. Again, why can't they just hand me the food? I don't see the staffing issue, they had THREE people out front of the restaurant and THREE people by register food area. What were they doing?!? They don't hand out food there, they have one register open, I am baffled by what Universal is honestly doing here.

Just logged into the app for the first time in a couple of weeks (wanted to check the wait times to see if a little Presidents’ Day trip might be worth it…yikes, it’s not lol) and noticed there’s been an overhaul in the design. And at the surface, it seems much…worse?

The lands on the map are now shaded in colors which just makes it a huge cluster when you’re first opening it. The individual ride bubbles have new, more intricate logos for “thrill,” “roller coaster,” etc. which just clutter up the UI. Then when you go to click on one of the bubbles, they’ve shifted the font to a smaller, crisper look where nothing useful jumps out at you (example: the wait times are now tucked away in a little top left corner…why? This is arguably the main thing people are looking for).

I usually don’t care to comment on the app because I know my way around but knowing the usability was a hot topic before I’m honestly curious, does anyone think it looks better right now than it did last month?

Just logged into the app for the first time in a couple of weeks (wanted to check the wait times to see if a little Presidents’ Day trip might be worth it…yikes, it’s not lol) and noticed there’s been an overhaul in the design. And at the surface, it seems much…worse?

The lands on the map are now shaded in colors which just makes it a huge cluster when you’re first opening it. The individual ride bubbles have new, more intricate logos for “thrill,” “roller coaster,” etc. which just clutter up the UI. Then when you go to click on one of the bubbles, they’ve shifted the font to a smaller, crisper look where nothing useful jumps out at you (example: the wait times are now tucked away in a little top left corner…why? This is arguably the main thing people are looking for).

I usually don’t care to comment on the app because I know my way around but knowing the usability was a hot topic before I’m honestly curious, does anyone think it looks better right now than it did last month?

There was some discussion about the app over here.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy