Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Venom

Have....have you read very many venom or carnage comics?

Yea. 99.9% of them are pure, unadulterated garbage.

That being said, there's nothing about them that necessitates an R-rating. Carnage is just a crappy, super powered Joker. Venom is either "Bad, Bulky Spider-Man" or "Spider-Punisher". Neither of those things necessitate an R-rated movie.*

*I know Joker is getting an R-rated movie too, but WB is just as stupid as Sony is.

Yea. 99.9% of them are pure, unadulterated garbage.

That being said, there's nothing about them that necessitates an R-rating. Carnage is just a crappy, super powered Joker. Venom is either "Bad, Bulky Spider-Man" or "Spider-Punisher". Neither of those things necessitate an R-rated movie.*

*I know Joker is getting an R-rated movie too, but WB is just as stupid as Sony is.
Okay

They're going to try and merge this into the MCU, but only if it makes enough money. That's why it was given a PG-13 rating.
This... well, Sony wants this. Marvel has no interest.

Amy Pascal has repeatedly stated that the Sony-verse and the MCU are going to be interconnected, but Feige always just sort of says no. I think Sony has disillusioned themselves into thinking that the MCU and this will be connected.

That is, unless their plan is to basically say no Spider-Man unless some Avengers show up in our films during the next round of negotiations (which will happen soon since the MCU-Sony contract is up after Far From Home). If that's the case, Marvel probably just laughs in their face and walks away.

I'm just going to say I really hope Venom is as successful as Sony wants it to be if not more because if their Spider-verse (without Spider-Man) falls flat on it's face, I can see them pulling Tom Holland and Spider-Man right out of the MCU and using him for their own Universe.

Sony and Marvel's film deal for the MCU end's after Spider-Man: Far From Home, so it's not out of the question.

I'm just going to say I really hope Venom is as successful as Sony wants it to be if not more because if their Spider-verse (without Spider-Man) falls flat on it's face, I can see them pulling Tom Holland and Spider-Man right out of the MCU and using him for their own Universe.

Sony and Marvel's film deal for the MCU end's after Spider-Man: Far From Home, so it's not out of the question.
Sony would be REALLY freaking stupid to pull Tom Holland and Spidey from the MCU. That would piss everybody off. Nobody would see it.

Sony would be REALLY freaking stupid to pull Tom Holland and Spidey from the MCU. That would piss everybody off. Nobody would see it.
Spider-Man is at the center of a Spider-Verse so creating one WITHOUT him is going to be tough. If Venom proves not to hit whatever Sony's goals are, I won't put it past them to pull Spidey in. No Spider-Man film of the 6 to be made since the Tobey Maguire trilogy have made under $700M Worldwide. The character sells around the world and I would assume they would want to finish out Holland's trilogy.

I'm not saying this is going to happen of course, but they made it a short 5 film deal with the MCU (Civil War, Homecoming, IW, Avengers 4, and Far From Home) for a reason. Sony was having trouble with the character at the time and putting him into the MCU made it easy for Sony and it bought them three years essentially to figure things out. If they find out that they need him in-house again, they will have no hesitation in yanking him back.

Spider-Man is at the center of a Spider-Verse so creating one WITHOUT him is going to be tough. If Venom proves not to hit whatever Sony's goals are, I won't put it past them to pull Spidey in. No Spider-Man film of the 6 to be made since the Tobey Maguire trilogy have made under $700M Worldwide. The character sells around the world and I would assume they would want to finish out Holland's trilogy.

I'm not saying this is going to happen of course, but they made it a short 5 film deal with the MCU (Civil War, Homecoming, IW, Avengers 4, and Far From Home) for a reason. Sony was having trouble with the character at the time and putting him into the MCU made it easy for Sony and it bought them three years essentially to figure things out. If they find out that they need him in-house again, they will have no hesitation in yanking him back.
I realize what you’re saying, but I’m saying that would be really, really, REALLY dumb for Sony to do that. Once they make another Spider-man movie and people realize it’s not in the MCU, they’re not gonna see it. The MCU is so big now, they would be out of their mind to not be willing to continue working with Marvel.

Funny I think the opposite, if it does well, I wouldn’t put it past Sony to yank Spidey from Marvel with the mentality of “K, we don’t need you guys anymore!” If it bombs, I see them sticking with Marvel because they would have no other choice but to continue to work with them.

Making their own Spider-verse is not practical with how big the MCU is. I know it’s tracking fairly well, but that’s because there’s a lot of confusion on whether or not it’s within the MCU. If they try their own Spider-verse, they will fail. Even if it’s descent, nobody will accept it. It would come across as a bootleg especially now with X-Men coming aboard. Sony will have to continue to work with Marvel if they want to keep Spidey afloat.

Making their own Spider-verse is not practical with how big the MCU
They ARE making their own Spiderverse. That’s what Venom is kicking off. Tom Hardy is apparently signed on for three films and other films for different Spidey characters are in the works.

I just don't see how Sony expects characters like Morbius or Silver Sable to carry their own films. The general audiences who don't read comics (the kind you need for blockbusters to succeed) probably won't even be aware of their Spider-Man connections unless explicitly told so.

I can completely get behind an Spider-verse that is done through animation rather than live action. Into the Spider-verse looks great and you can do so much more with animation (at least much cheaper) than you can with live action/big budget CGI movies.

I highly agree with this. Into Spider-Verse seems like a full on love letter, with respect to the mythology and characters, all with introducing Miles into the limelight of the films.

My concern of Venom, lies into that I think they could be really missing out a darker and more graphic complex of the Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde dynamic that could work really freaking well for Eddie & The Symbiote. Instead, Sony is lessening the potential impact Venom could do, and is instead trying to make it something it's not.

I've funnily had a chance to ask around, from family to friends and colleagues, and they all somewhat agree on that Venom/Eddie isn't a set of characters that should be PG-13.

I am really...afraid for the portrayal of the characters, and while I hope to be proven wrong..the trailers and media don't give me much hope.