Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion) | Page 61 | Inside Universal Forums

Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I respectfully disagree with your statement as we see Universal having 2 theme park area's for the Minions brand that is up to spec. In the sample pics below you see there is at least done an effort to make a fun area and I'm positive Universal Creative would be talented enough to translate this to Illumination Avenue in Orlando. But I'm afraid Karen or the upper bosses at Comcast block it to save a bit of money.
team-mobius-usj-minion-park-overall-land-promotional-image.jpg

VCW_D_Universal_T1_Prayitno_1280x642_2.jpg

There’s a 3rd iteration in Beijing too!

0105t120008y7oi8t2492_Z_1000_0.jpg

I don't think you'll find anyone that will disagree that they would've preferred Minion Park from USJ or even USH's area - but sadly, UO put themselves in a corner with Minion Mayhem to Production Central. It's easier playing Monday Morning QB though, as I don't think you'd find anything in 2011/2012 from anyone suggesting Universal should wait and make Minion Mayhem a signature land.

So within the parameters, this land can still succeed without the need for having the level of immersion of Potter or Nintendo.

Also keep in mind, we still don't know the extent of how the finished product will look.
I think UO being cornered with the location is really overlooked in this discussion tbh. USH's Super Silly Fun Land is tucked away to the side. Production Central is the entrance essentially. It's much harder to translate things like HHN if they did manage to make the section look anything like USH or USJ's areas. Both USH and USJ have the added benefit of being able to avoid those lands during their respective HHN events. UO doesn't exactly have that privilege. I think things like a sign for the land similar to what @Alicia seems to have discovered and what we've seen on the building this far (along with the Monster's Cafe replacement and food carts) are a decent middle ground.

For reference, here's USJ's HHN map marking that land as a "safe zone":

usj-graphic-park-map-no-limit-halloween-2022-night-a-scaled.jpeg

And here's HHN Hollywood's skipping the section completely:

2022-Halloween-Horror-Nights-Map-Hollywood.jpg

They moved Kong to a completely different park and are now giving F&F the ride it deserves over at USH. Moving Minions to KidZone or anywhere else was absolutely possible. I'm sure the area will end up looking nice but it'll never be the grand entrance that USF truly deserves.

They moved Kong to a completely different park and are now giving F&F the ride it deserves over at USH. Moving Minions to KidZone or anywhere else was absolutely possible. I'm sure the area will end up looking nice but it'll never be the grand entrance that USF truly deserves.
They didn't "move" Kong, they built a completely new attraction in a different park 14 years after the original closed. Don't know what F&F has to do with this argument. It makes no sense to close the attraction featuring your most profitable animated franchise and build (presumably) the same ride somewhere else in the same park.

They didn't "move" Kong, they built a completely new attraction in a different park 14 years after the original closed. Don't know what F&F has to do with this argument. It makes no sense to close the attraction featuring your most profitable animated franchise and build (presumably) the same ride somewhere else in the same park.
The point is that just like Kong and F&F, Minions/DM is an IP worthy of getting a fully fleshed out attraction/land that's not shoehorned in to the front of the park. I didn't mention anything about them building the same ride.

The point is that just like Kong and F&F, Minions/DM is an IP worthy of getting a fully fleshed out attraction/land that's not shoehorned in to the front of the park. I didn't mention anything about them building the same ride.
Universal will never get rid of Minion Mayhem though, it's way too popular. It's never getting moved or replaced with another dark ride. I will never get this argument.

Reactions: DodgsonHere
Universal will never get rid of Minion Mayhem though, it's way too popular. It's never getting moved or replaced with another dark ride. I will never get this argument.

I mean, it will eventually get replaced. It's not going to be there in 30 years.

But I would submit that a Despicable Me or Minions dark ride would very likely be just as popular. Does that mean Universal must replace Minion Mayhem with one? No. But is it reasonable to talk about such a possibility in the theoretical? I think yes.

I mean, it will eventually get replaced. It's not going to be there in 30 years.

But I would submit that a Despicable Me or Minions dark ride would very likely be just as popular. Does that mean Universal must replace Minion Mayhem with one? No. But is it reasonable to talk about such a possibility in the theoretical? I think yes.
You could make the argument that every popular attraction could be replaced by something just as popular. Like, Big Thunder Mountain could get replaced by an Ant Man roller coaster and it would get the same lines. Doesn't mean it should happen.

Can I make the point that UO is spoiled in a lot of ways so it’s okay for the other parks to shine for once. Like so what if we don’t get a fully fleshed out immersive Minions land. We are still getting the basics like the Cafe at least. Plus an additional attraction go along with it.

Can I make the point that UO is spoiled in a lot of ways so it’s okay for the other parks to shine for once. Like so what if we don’t get a fully fleshed out immersive Minions land. We are still getting the basics like the Cafe at least. Plus an additional attraction go along with it.

I’ve noticed that a lot of Orlando park fans (both Disney and Universal) tend to flip out when parks elsewhere get something cool. We have so much cool and unique stuff in Orlando, it’s okay to not have everything. If anything, it gives a reason to travel more and experience new stuff.

I’ve noticed that a lot of Orlando park fans (both Disney and Universal) tend to flip out when parks elsewhere get something cool. We have so much cool and unique stuff in Orlando, it’s okay to not have everything. If anything, it gives a reason to travel more and experience new stuff.
For sure. Do people forget that Hollywood doesn't have Diagon Alley?

Would be a shame if this eliminated the production central scare zone
I don't see a situation where this happens. HHN was a key decider in how this attraction operates. HHN has a designated space including just about half of Soundstage V. I imagine the operations of the HHN entrance zone were a limitation the Villain-Con facade was designed around.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I don't see a situation where this happens. HHN was a key decider in how this attraction operates. HHN has a designated space including just about half of Soundstage V. I imagine the operations of the HHN entrance zone were a limitation the Villain-Con facade was designed around.

The HHN house entered off to the side, and Universal always had a scare there with the Minions and Shrek present. The best guess is that the zone continues to follow the very generic/bland scare zone design to limit the "horror" props.

I also don't think HHN was a deciding factor on the facade itself, HHN team always finds a way.