Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 104 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Universal is a big name park second only to Disney. Some people suggested that B&M was too busy to build a new Hulk but they did. Proslide will find the time too. :)

I am not kidding about how busy Proslide are... They bought land in Ottawa, cleared it... and have not built their second water park yet... since 9 years. They can't squeeze in the fabrication of the slides in their busy schedule. I am sure they will do their best to replace the segments, but it will take some time.

The slide pieces are sealed at fabrication, but skipping the monthly waxing will quicly lead to a bad slide!

:eek: I hadn't thought of that!! I've seen several aerial pictures of the lot now with all the burnt pieces and come to think of it, I do see a lot of slide pieces but I don't see the volcano rock work skin pieces anymore like we saw before. Were they stored in the same lot?? That may really put them behind schedule

The rock work skin is safe, that is still being fabricated in the South of Downtown area at Nassal. Only the slide pieces are at the WnW plot.

Well that is a pisser! Depending on the value, I would think that Universal's insurance would pay for it. I look forward to the suspected cause!

I'm not privy to how Universal is handling construction of Volcano Bay, but in typical heavy construction projects the owner doesn't take possession of the anything until final acceptance by the owner (i.e., the end of construction). During construction, the contractor is typically responsible for storage and protection of materials and must replace anything that is damaged or stolen/lost at no additional cost to the owner.

Reactions: Mike S and Teebin
I'm not privy to how Universal is handling construction of Volcano Bay, but in typical heavy construction projects the owner doesn't take possession of the anything until final acceptance by the owner (i.e., the end of construction). During construction, the contractor is typically responsible for storage and protection of materials and must replace anything that is damaged or stolen/lost at no additional cost to the owner.

I can't tell you how many jobs I've supplied (not in the theme park industry) that has had material disappear off job sites (lost, stolen, grew legs and walked off) that the contractor had to purchase again. Cuts right into their profit so you can imagine that upset them.

I am not kidding about how busy Proslide are... They bought land in Ottawa, cleared it... and have not built their second water park yet... since 9 years. They can't squeeze in the fabrication of the slides in their busy schedule. I am sure they will do their best to replace the segments, but it will take some time.
Yes indeed they are very busy, but that scenario is a little different because it is THEIR waterpark not another client's. doing something for yourself can be put on hold if it means making a lot more money on a project for Universal.

Are these pieces made using injection molding?

I was thinking this myself. I think it really depends on just how unique the slides are. If they're made from several building blocks, then I can see it but every piece is unique to each ride, I think it would be expensive. I wonder if 3D printing would be an option in the future.

I can't tell you how many jobs I've supplied (not in the theme park industry) that has had material disappear off job sites (lost, stolen, grew legs and walked off) that the contractor had to purchase again. Cuts right into their profit so you can imagine that upset them.

I can't imagine plastic slide pieces being THAT expensive or taking too long to make. I don't see how it will delay them too long if at all

Nice pictures BriMan, What stops everyone getting pictures round the other side of the volcano? I know its possible as we have seen some recently but I think only once so I presume it is a hard to reach area? Shame there is no one with a drone in the area with an interest in this as they could fly over and get some nice footage....

EDIT: I spoke too soon regarding the above! :lol: I hope this person continues to get footage and it is not just a one off!! Enjoy the close ups from on site, the volcano looks amazing that close.

Last edited:
I can't imagine plastic slide pieces being THAT expensive or taking too long to make. I don't see how it will delay them too long if at all

Cost isn't the issue nor how long each piece takes to make, it's slotting them in to a busy queue that's the problem. If they have a schedule that's packed and they stop to make room for Universal, it can mean somebody else will get delayed.

I was thinking this myself. I think it really depends on just how unique the slides are. If they're made from several building blocks, then I can see it but every piece is unique to each ride, I think it would be expensive. I wonder if 3D printing would be an option in the future.

I would think it would be less costly to pour some resin into the mold than create a block of it and carve out (3D pirnt) the section you need based on the resin used alone for both.

I believe that the slide pieces are fiberglass and not injected molded plastic.
Hand made? We deal with fiber glass meter boxes that are hand made in Mexico and depending on the size can take 2-3 months to get. Would love to see the process on how Pro Slides makes them

Nice pictures BriMan, What stops everyone getting pictures round the other side of the volcano? I know its possible as we have seen some recently but I think only once so I presume it is a hard to reach area? Shame there is no one with a drone in the area with an interest in this as they could fly over and get some nice footage....

EDIT: I spoke too soon regarding the above! :lol: I hope this person continues to get footage and it is not just a one off!! Enjoy the close ups from on site, the volcano looks amazing that close.

Really the only way to get that view is to exit off I-4 West at the Sand Lake exit and have someone driver really slow while you take photos or pull over (which I strongly would suggest not to do with how crazy people drive). So pretty much its a hassle to get the other side :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.